I have a good property manager

Read the thread 'Name and shame property manager' and felt obliged to comment that I have a good property manager!

At Lismore Real Estate they have 2 young guys (mid twenties) as their property managers and I can offer nothing but praise. No 1 young guy is teaching no 2 guy.

Disclaimer - my husband is related to Principal of REA

With this RE business the Father sold the RE business to eldest son and another REA (after he had trained eldest son).

Eldest son employeed his brother as property manager after his brother had completed a 3 year university degree, brother didn't use his degree and worked as a unskilled painter of houses for a year or so.

Anyway - both property managers have 'people skills' and a great way of communicating to LL's and tenants.

What helps eliminate problems is that we have always had reasonably new properties to rent in new areas.

Kind Regards
Sheryn :)

Well done

I find myself sifting through the threads trying to find something positive to read amongs all the outbursts and reactions to self inflicted problems.
I was delighted to come across this one, we need more people with a positive outlook on life otherwise what is the purpose of being here and sharing ideas.

Negative ideas and fears are not worth sharing and help no one!

As part of the Property Management industry it is great to hear positive comments.

If property managers are as bad as some people make out then there would be a lot more private landlords out there.(the last national census showed approx. 30% landlords manage privately.

We have just open a new office in an area that is full of traditional real estate agencies with old time practices. IE this is the way we have done it for the last 20 years.

I have been surprised on how lazy some of these agencies have been. I get 3-6 calls a day from landlords that are not happy with the service that they are getting and are complaining about having properties vacant for 3-6 weeks. we have taken on some of these properties and have had them rented in less than a week with quality tenants that we and the owners are happy to take on. I just have to think that some of these agencies are so focused on making sales that they have not got time to answer tenant enquiry. (bloody lazy agents)

The interesting thing is i get just as many calls from other agencies complaining about us coming into there area. We can not steal clients away. clients only leave if they are unhappy. Maybe if these agencies focused more on delivering a good quality service and comunicating with their clients rather than ringing our company and complaining, they would not have to worry about clients leaving them.

My PM is great too!

But I'm sort of obligated to say that as I'm married to her... ;)

With only one IP and a sitting tenant on purchase it didn't make sense to engage a PM. Once developed we might change our minds, but for now we don't see the need.

Thanks for the positive post, agree with the other comments!

Cheers,
Michael

i love my pm - and no, i'm not married to her :D.

she is firm, fair and can be compassionate or ruthless when required. no one pulls the wool over her eyes, and nothing is to much trouble - she even inspects serious prospective purchases with me. she is a great communicator and really on the ball.

fortunately she is teaching her daughter, who is just as good, so i'll have great pm's for years to come.

I have a great PM too :)
Her name is Liz Ridley at Switch Realty in Ipswich and I originally went with her as I bought IP through same agency and she was managing it then.
When I was looking for another IP earlier this year, she came and inspected one with me, and gave good reasons why not to buy it. She has acheived top rental for the one I did eventually buy and has provided excellent service.
Nothing is too much trouble, and she is always contactable. I highly recommend her to anyone with Ipswich IPs.

How is this for service

The tenant in IP No 1 moved out over the weekend so the PM was going up to do Final Inspection and I wanted to have a look too.

Anyway when PM let me know the time he was going up today I didn't have a car so he offered to pick me up (we live about 1.5 klms away).

IP No 1 almost in immaculate condition 1 x mark on wall (which might come out if I use a white cleaning block (tip from Painters wife) and 1 bead missing off end of blind.

New tenant is to sign up on Friday (apparently a PM in another town).

Currently, I am trying to get a fence put up on IP No 1 - but fencing contractors still have a lot of forward bookings.

On another postive note....
REA gave me an estimate for value of IP No 1 and it is 15 - 25 K more than I thought. We are not selling but will refinance during year.

IP cost 350K or thereabouts to build, new tenants rent will be $400 per week and value of IP 400 - 410K. Not sure of exact yield as I have misplaced the formula to work out yield.

Also REA is part of a new local firm selling commercial real estate North Coast Commerical ( I think it is called ) so if I decide the next project is commercial I 'trust' the REA to sit down with me and discuss opportunities.

Cheers
Sheryn:D

Who would think that if you build a new property tha there would be heaps of problems

Update...

Fence is now up on IP.

One of the fencing contractors employees, told the tenants they could smell gas so tenants rang gas supplier (tenants had previously rang Gas supplier to say there was a problem) anyway Gas supplier reimbursed tenants as a full gas cylinder was empty in 6 weeks.

Tenants wanted to know if they had to clean concrete after fencing contractors had left red footprints every where - I sent hubby up to clean.

We had to replace self retracting hoses as not retracting on IP, so I brought 2 x plain hose hanger uppers and 2 x $8.00 hoses from Bunnings and sent Hubby up to remove and replace.

Then I thought to myself I wonder if the self retracting hoses are 'under warranty' so I rang Bunnings and the self retracting hoses did have a 2 year warranty so I sent Hubby over to Bunnings to get replacements and will give to our daughter for her duplex as that will save her $200.

Ohhh No..

PM rings up to let us know one of the new hoses has a split in it so I rang Bunnings to ask would they accept a faxed copy of Tax Invoice to replace split hose as it would be 2 weeks until we could exchange in person - yes they will - so I faxed receipt to PM's office and PM rings me on a Saturday to let me know that either he will get tenants to exchange split hose OR he will pick up split hose and take to Bunnings and exchange.

Good PM's are like gold - I will see that our PM receives acknowledgement and recognition ( will tell 2 x principle REA owners of business and buy him a drink or 2)

BTW
PM's are the rock between the hard place - tenants think PM's are their for them and IP owners think PM's are their for them and REA owners think PM's are their for them. :rolleyes:

Regards
Sheryn

Last edited:
Well done

I find myself sifting through the threads trying to find something positive to read amongs all the outbursts and reactions to self inflicted problems.
I was delighted to come across this one, we need more people with a positive outlook on life otherwise what is the purpose of being here and sharing ideas.

Negative ideas and fears are not worth sharing and help no one!

Calling a spade a spade, that's not wrong is it Xenia ? Especially when it is relevant to the topic of the forum ?

I agree it is nice to read of positive stories as well as horror ones, but I doubt all of the negative ones were siimply ouburts & reactions to self inflicted problems or negative ideas and fears.

sometimes pple may also share their fears in the hope of gtting some advice, I cant see what's wrong with tht, unless one doesn't like helping people

Have to agree with jaycee, I can't see anything wrong with telling your story here if you have problems. I have found this forum to be very helpful in bringing to my notice things I haven't thought about.

But in the spirit of this particular thread I have to say we are also very happy with our relatively new PM. It's early days, but it looks good. So far I am very impressed with how on the ball she is.

Feel the same way Sheryn, Team Obsession is a wonderful, clever, lateral thinking, great at their job, funny! team, whom I love a lot.

It is a privilege to be part of the team.

...and really handsome and very beautiful too.

Cant seem to build a relationship with my pm in Ipswich - whenver I call the office there is a new pm - makes it kinda hard.

Cheers
Stella

I can't speak highly enough of our property managers, Trish and Chris, from Coral Sea Property Services in Townsville. They have been great from day one and always get fantastic rents. I have just put my third IP with them. They communicate well and manage the IP's like they were their own. I can't recommend them highly enough.

And no, I have absolutely no relationship with them other than as an owner.

Mark

This post is a great idea, for those of us who live by the search feature.

So my recomendation is Proffessionals, Edge Hill, Cairns. They have 2 IP's for me and have taken good care for over 14 years now, even the same staff member for that time to.
As I work away OS, they simply deal with what ever comes along on my behalf. OF course they let me know everything in great detail to. Including original receipts from 3rd parties, no mark up's!

Reckon the secret to getting a good PM is to go to a family run RE business

This afternoon I meet with our PM's ( 2 x guys about 27 years old).

1. I wanted them to give me an idea of the rent we could get, they wanted me to say what I wanted first - but I said you tell me first? Their expressed rent range is what I want so happy.

2. They started to take photos, pulled up holland blind so photo in kitchen better, made me wipe over kitchen bench as dusty. Helped move left over carpet out of range of photo etc.

3. Noted scratch on dining floor tile ( which I know wasn't there when handover done - bugger)

4. Pointed out a couple of things that hubby has to finish.

5. Discussed marketing points eg. security screens, fans, double garage with large storage areas, close to schools, shopping centres, short walking distance to local pub and close to bus stop.

6. We go outside to take photo from road, they pulled out the fire hydrant post and removed curled up hose from front lawn to improve photo.

Then this is the clincher - my daughter arrived home to her unit so one PM asked her who drove up her driveway on trail bike with red dirt on the tyres. The guilty party was her boyfriend.

'Well you will have to teach him not to make a mess, he'll need to pressure clean the marks off and you can't do that too many times as it will wreck your coloured driveway' etc.

I just stood by and took it all in...

Daughter came over to our house about 30 minutes later to pay a bill online, borrow the pressure cleaner and was hunting up the boyfriend on the mobile to get home and clean off driveway.

Then she said to me 'Do you know how much my driveway cost, do you know how many months I had to work to pay for my driveway'

Well yes I did know and I am sure her boyfriend is going to be told how much and how many months!

Absolutely priceless. ;);)

Cheers
Sheryn

Must give a plug to our current property managers who do a fantastic job for us.

1. Sharyn Callendar at Sweeney's Bacchus Marsh (always clued on and quick to take action)
2. Rosy Beheit at LJ Hooker, Craigmore / Elizabeth (helps me keep my cool as well)

May your tribe increase !

Back