I need to know about Darwin, sub $550k

I might be moving to Darwin for a few years so thought I might just buy a house up there.... anyone know what the good/bad suburbs are?

I am looking for 3 bedroom, house (not flat) :)

and yes I have looked on realestate.com.au but thought i would see what people think on here or if there are any hidden gems around?

Not sure you could buy a 3 bedroom house under $550k in those Darwin suburbs.

All I know is Palmerston suburbs (satellite area which I think is about 15kms out). I have a 3 bedroom house in Gunn-built 11 years ago. Worth about $480k (maybe higher). This would be one of the cheaper more basic houses there. Nothing much under $500k.

Gunn is a nice area of Palmerston. Masterplanned Delfin estate. Durack and Bakewell are also good.

You might also find something that suits you closer in to Darwin. I think it was Casuarina shopping centre and areas around there that I saw briefly. These are in northern suburbs but closer to Darwin than Palmerston.

http://www.enjoy-darwin.com/casuarina-shopping-centre.html

Fin Review (page 31 28/7/10 mentions Jingili and Wagaman-both northern suburbs-as the best value in Darwin at 475k and 499k avg respectively)

Just be aware of the costs for tradepeople (think airconditioners x 3 and high charge out rates). Think heavy rainfall at times (and possible repairs for leaks). Also high water and council rates.

Last edited:
Jingili, Alawa, Moil Tiwi are good suburbs and around the casuarina shopping square.. Older suburbs, well Jingili and Alawa and Moil are.. pre Tracy..
Good size blocks and you should get something decent.

We are not far from the beach, shopping centre, both hospitals or town.. Express bus 20minues into town.

Pockets of Palmerston are good otherwise you getting into Housing Commission territory with problems. Try Gray around Rossetta Street pretty area and did have some nice houses and duplexes for sale recently.

My view could be atad biased re Palmerston as I grown up and lived around Rapid creek/millner/Jingili/Casuarina/Tiwi/Wanguri all my life :)

Back