'I wouldn't advise anyone to buy in Sydney' Ron Allen, Fairfield West Caravan Park

there we go again - people listening to people who listen to people who haven't been there.

mate - most minesites require a current driver's license, maybe a riggers or a single axle heavy vehicle license. certainly VERY easy to get even if you DO work 70+hrs a week.

qualified is preferred and WILL get preferential treatment - but beggars can;t be choosers.

they also require a clean tox screen test (so no flippers or pot at least 6 weeks before you are due for a test). this is most people's prob - they fail the tox screen or fail a spot test. steer clear of poppy seed bread and muffins.

and i don't know ANYONE on land earning $120k as a cleaner. a base mine site wage is $68-75k.

on a rig in the gulf? yes. out the back of nowhere on a 6-1 roster? maybe. in port hedland on a 2-1 FIFO? hell no.

Geez Blue Card six weeks is optimistic for pot :D

Watch out for Panadeine Forte' as well ;)

Drug & Alcohol Screens needed at entry level and many sites do regular checks (breatho's etc)

I know people earning around $110k "on land" as cleaners (4 on 1 off), ESO's, Haulpack Drivers on $85-120K (mixed rosters 3/1; 4/1 ; 2 weeks on 2 weeks off OR 8 days on 6 days off) FIFO is a bonus, as some sites require you to live in the town and support the local economy

Had a mate offered $120k + as a trainer the other day but the jobs in Tanzania or somewhere :(

Most if not all mines require you to sit their own induction, but getting a MARCSTA is a good idea Clicky Link

The more courses done the better a prospect you look..though a the end of the day experience is a big Bonus

MARCSTA
4WD course
Forklift etc
Heavy Vehicles Licence
MWHS
D&A Screen
Blue Card (Construction)
HAZCHEM
Fire Training
Confined Space
Working at Heights

And a cheerful disposition ;)

All good to have..with the shortage of workers standards have been lowered across the board

I'm sure many of us would do well BUT...I've seen many people earning big money at sea and on the mines p*** it up against the wall

Lifestyle is a consideration, I've seen guys give up higher paying jobs (4/1) to take a 2/2 or 1/1 role , less pay..more time off (I'm one..Could work FIFO but happy to work in town and be with the family each night).

PS:

ABC Clicky

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry says Western Australia will need 400,000 workers over the next decade.

The Chamber has prepared a report on the issue of Western Australia's skills shortages, which concludes the state needs a 20 percent increase in its population by the year 2017 to sustain economic growth.

The Chief Executive of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, John Langoulant, says both government and business urgently need to find new ways to recruit and keep and workers

"Well we're going to need a step up in migration, we're going to need more people coming into Western Australia from offshore, both skilled and unskilled people to fill the needs of what is going to be a very large demand for labour over the next 10 years," he said.

"Most of the things which we're recommending can be acted on very quickly, you know increases in migration levels.

"Western Australia getting a greater share of those migration levels, encouraging people to stay in the workface through taxation measures and childcare measures, just attracting people more to Perth."

I lso head that Australia is to boost Annual inflow of Migrants to 300,000 (incl increase of 31,000 into the skilled migrant program)..thoughts most may go to QLD, WA, SA

Postscript:

From memory Twiggys only on $200k

MARCSTA
4WD course
Forklift etc
Heavy Vehicles Licence
MWHS
D&A Screen
Blue Card (Construction)
HAZCHEM
Fire Training
Confined Space
Working at Heights

And a cheerful disposition ;)
Yes and I would add Senior First Aid... not essential but an advantage.

Also good to disclose to when doing the test if you have had any prescription or over the counter medications recently.

Back