If you had another choice

Was listening to the radio this morning....... discussions relating to highly paid positions in Australia, mining is up there of course, now with the down turn not sure whether this will continue to be the case.

My question to you is are you happy with your choice/career???
If you were able to select another career/do something else, what would it be and why?? I know its not all about money, however surely this must come in play to a degree.

MTR:)

the question I like to ask for those that really like their work...........

"if you replaced your income tommorow, would you go back to work for free"

Surprisingly many would, under different terms however

ta

rolf

What terms do you mean?

most of them dont want to go back and work 60 hrs a week, so its a day or 3, or work from home or whatever they need, basically going back more under their terms, rather than those of the employer

Once you have money out of the way, and you are good at what you do, its quite amazing what employers will do for people that couldnt be done previously.

ta
rolf

Would definitely change, given another shot as I hate my job. Part of the reason I invest is so that I can give myself that 2nd shot.

I had a day job where I was able to work on my property investing stuff (public servant) and could have happily continued, but at the end of day I would rather be doing it at home.

most of them dont want to go back and work 60 hrs a week, so its a day or 3, or work from home or whatever they need, basically going back more under their terms, rather than those of the employer

Once you have money out of the way, and you are good at what you do, its quite amazing what employers will do for people that couldnt be done previously.

ta
rolf

Rolf
but are we really talking about people who are actually in semi retirement, their income is not quite enough so they opt out for 2-3 days per week, very much common these days, not that they love their job it just makes sense.

I genuinely like what I do, but I can certainly think of things I'd rather do under the right conditions.

The people who work in these industries are generally broke or don't work under conditions which would suit me. My favorite hobby doesn't translate very well to a career that I'd find acceptable.

So I'll continue to compromise. I'll keep doing something that I enjoy during the week, and pay (rather than be paid) to do the things I love on the weekend.

I'd probably still end up doing what I do, but come about it from a different way. Be a carpenter, then a builder, then get in to the office when the body was packing it in.

Instead got in to the office early because wanted higher wage and battling a very sedentary lifestyle (and poor choices).

If I get financially free I am going to do every tafe course I can get my hands on. I prefer vocational type learning a lot of the time (vs. uni).

I have loved my job until recently - possibly changing to a new role shortly (similar job, different team).

If money wasnt an issue and I could do whatever i wanted, I would be a genealogist.

In an alternative life, I would have pursued mechanical engineering or finance/investment banking.

In a perfect world, I would be Cristiano Ronaldo or Fernando Alonso

At the moment I am considering a career change, so who knows where I will end up :)

Love what I do...... Good old Sparky trade is gold, Especially in Oil/Gas :)

If I did change, maybe would have gone along the lines of Medicine or Aircraft Pilot, just because I naturally have an interest in those subjects.

I like what I do, but wish I had a better back so I could still be bricklaying.

As physically tough as it was, it was a great job. Outdoors, singing to the radio, having a good chat with some blokes while we worked, home in time to do whatever I wish, can physically see what you have done each day and etc.

Something about building a nice face brick wall that just felt good.

I am pretty sure you will find the lyrics are "Cheap wine and a 3 day old goat".

But no, I learnt my trade from a couple of old Italian guys. 720 ABC was about as mainstream as they were willing to go.

Back