If you had another choice

Aggressive in what way?

Go getting. Little red tape. Commercial. We change approach at a drop of a hat if something isn't working. You're allowed to drive outcomes.

Aggressive also in the way of setting high standards, targets/goals and going out there to get it done..

Aggressive also in the way of setting high standards, targets/goals and going out there to get it done..

Some people really thrive on this and they do very well, while others fall under the bus...... me..... I fall under the bus, that's why I had to find something that I could do.

Good on you if you can do both, the work stuff and you thrive and the property stuff and you thrive.... I think that could be a win/win:)

Some people really thrive on this and they do very well, while others fall under the bus...... me..... I fall under the bus, that's why I had to find something that I could do.

Good on you if you can do both, the work stuff and you thrive and the property stuff and you thrive.... I think that could be a win/win:)

That's true MTR. Though I'd like to thrive at the property stuff more and more as it gives me the security and that way I believe it will be much easier to thrive at corporate because eventually the outcomes I want to get won't be tied to relying on work alone...

I like the thrill of it. Not all corporate environments are like this. I only have exposure to Investment Banking. Though I've worked for IBM during university days and I would never go back......

The downside though is that you always end up wanting to be going for outcomes and busy. But there are always going to be peaks and troughs.

.... and on the subject of women in the work place

How bizarre is this and not that long ago -

Until well into the 1960?s Australian women in the public service were forced to resign from their jobs as permanent officers if they got married. It was the same in many private companies. Some women hid their marriages from employers for years, removing their rings before they reached the office.

Ah yes the "good old days" that people often talk so fondly of. White australia policy, women being treated as 2nd class citizens etc, not allowing the original inhabitants of the land to vote and stealing their children, what a wonderful place it was.

In IT, hate IT :D However love IT for giving me the dollars to develop property.

You really know you don't like your job when the money is awesome, you work from home, your self employed and you still hate it.

Should've studied architecture when leaving school but too much in a rush to join my friends making cash. Plus too lazy to do 7 years worth of study.

Developing property is my way out, its something I think about all the time, the weekends, when on holiday, when at work lol. I recon when I naturally think of developing this often then it must be for me.

In IT, hate IT :D However love IT for giving me the dollars to develop property.

You really know you don't like your job when the money is awesome, you work from home, your self employed and you still hate it.

Should've studied architecture when leaving school but too much in a rush to join my friends making cash. Plus too lazy to do 7 years worth of study.

Developing property is my way out, its something I think about all the time, the weekends, when on holiday, when at work lol. I recon when I naturally think of developing this often then it must be for me.

From someone who works in the Construction Industry, take it from me, architecture is a faaarking hard slog nowadays. I'd never recommend my kids get in to it.

I have a friend whe is an Air Traffic Controller. He does nothing but whinge about the roster, hours and pay. Good luck!

pinkboy

I must admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the negativity I'm getting from friends and rellies about changing careers. I couldn't even tell you how many people have said to me "Do you realise that's one of the most stressful jobs you can have?". Talking to the few air traffic controllers I do know, they all absolutely love it.

Which airport does your friend work at pinkboy, and does he work in a tower or enroute?

While I don?t love my job, I certainly like my job and I love the conditions it comes with.
If I had my time again, I?d probably study the same degree. I was thinking that I would do renewable engineering instead, but it?s much harder to get employment with that degree.
So same again for me, but I would study at a uni that's smaller and a bit more hands on.

Cisco networking. Routing and switching plus a little voice. Just started working for Fujitsu in Projects, cushy role. You?

Managed Services , looking after companies from 50 to 250 users
Im supposedly a level 3 / escalation point / mentor / server guy / network guy / timesheet fillerinnerer :p Would prefer to not be in MS, but thats how it goes i guess.

I told her 'What could possibly be more important than for a mother to stay at home and raise her children to become productive members of society?' She liked that.

As opposed to the parents who are in paid work and raising their kids to be non-productive leeches on society?

:confused:

Back