If you had another choice

If I could go back to high school I would complete the full on maths/science strand and go on to study physics at Uni. But like Lizzie, I ended up in a bank :rolleyes:

If I could go back to high school I would complete the full on maths/science strand and go on to study physics at Uni.

My cousin did that except, she's a super duper hardcore Math geek. She ended up getting her doctorate in Statistics at Melbourne Uni. She's a full time housewife now.

One time we were chatting and she told me she feels guilty for staying home and not working. I told her 'What could possibly be more important than for a mother to stay at home and raise her children to become productive members of society?' She liked that.

My cousin did that except, she's a super duper hardcore Math geek. She ended up getting her doctorate in Statistics at Melbourne Uni. She's a full time housewife now.

One time we were chatting and she told me she feels guilty for staying home and not working. I told her 'What could possibly be more important than for a mother to stay at home and raise her children to become productive members of society?' She liked that.

Or for a parent of any gender! :D

the question I like to ask for those that really like their work...........

"if you replaced your income tommorow, would you go back to work for free"

Surprisingly many would, under different terms however

ta

rolf

I went to UNI at 30 so teaching wasn't my fist job. I love it and thought I'd never leave but now I'm getting ready. Part timer is perfect at the moment.

When I retire I'll still teach but on a volunteer basis as I do love it. I have done volunteer teaching in Bali in the holidays. I may do some school of the air stuff when we travel around Australia. There is also opportunity to teach sick kids in hospital for extended times. Lots of need. I don't think I'd give up teaching completely.

Sadly higher education wasn't really the done thing for girls in those days so became a bank teller instead.

It wasn't really the done thing when I left school either. Girls either went to work in a bank or to secretarial school. It may have been before Mr Fab's time, but it wasn't that long ago.

I ended up doing something I loved. I was lucky.

If I had to do it again, I would be a dancer. But fate takes you in the direction that it wants.

When we decided l had to quit art , we wrapped a house, renovated it and resold. That gave me some new money to day trade , something else l always fancied.
But hey , 4 computer screens , numbers, letters and nothing physical , did my head in .
One day my daughter said whatcha doin dad. l said just workin darlin.
She said is this how you work?
l said yep , this is work .
She said God , what a boring job .
l thought ha , 9 yrs old , your damn right it is and l quit ,

When we decided l had to quit art , we wrapped a house, renovated it and resold. That gave me some new money to day trade , something else l always fancied.
But hey , 4 computer screens , numbers, letters and nothing physical , did my head in .
One day my daughter said whatcha doin dad. l said just workin darlin.
She said is this how you work?
l said yep , this is work .
She said God , what a boring job .
l thought ha , 9 yrs old , your damn right it is and l quit ,
Would you have quit trading if the dollars you made were substantial?

Didn't mean to knock the work either for those that do it btw , l can understand some people loving it, just not for me though money or not.

Last edited:
Once I smoked a Danneman cigar, I drove a foreign car,

Cheap wine and a three-day growth

but yes I take your point about brickies and the songs they sing .......

It wasn't really the done thing when I left school either. Girls either went to work in a bank or to secretarial school. It may have been before Mr Fab's time, but it wasn't that long ago.

No - it wasn't "that" long ago ... only around 30 years ... but the expected thing was to finish at year 10 and go work in the bank, or as a secretary, or a hairdresser, or accounts clerk, or retail.

Only the total nerds went on to uni.

Was listening to the radio this morning....... discussions relating to highly paid positions in Australia, mining is up there of course, now with the down turn not sure whether this will continue to be the case.

My question to you is are you happy with your choice/career???
If you were able to select another career/do something else, what would it be and why?? I know its not all about money, however surely this must come in play to a degree.

MTR:)

Air Force pilot... get paid a lot to do bugger all mostly, and have plenty of opportunities thrown at you.

I don't know any air traffic controllers, just curious how much does this pay?? considering the stress etc.

I believe the Air Force is paying retention bonuses to theirs in the order of $20k/year, which probably puts them easily over $100k/year for a lower level one.

Left school in grade 9, concreted for a year, learned how to draft (CAD) got paid under 15-19k p/a for 3 years then got a job as civil designer at local council 60k p/a for 4 years, and now have been employed for 1 year as a "Train/Network Controller' on 100+k p/a.

It has been all about growing my money so far, but in saying that i have never hated or disliked my job.

Studied all sorts of things, never had a profession. Is there a job where you get paid to look at magazines and buy nice furniture? Interior designer maybe? Hmm, maybe I'd take it a step further and design furniture (that's industrial design, yeah?).

Astronaut. Chef. Stunt double.

Meh. Being a stay at home mum in Spain doesn't suck either :)

haha. My Mum horrified people by studying at uni and becoming a sonographer in the 1970's. Most girls back then worked until they got married and that was it, so it was office jobs.

.... and on the subject of women in the work place

How bizarre is this and not that long ago -

Until well into the 1960?s Australian women in the public service were forced to resign from their jobs as permanent officers if they got married. It was the same in many private companies. Some women hid their marriages from employers for years, removing their rings before they reached the office.

.... and on the subject of women in the work place

How bizarre is this and not that long ago -

Until well into the 1960?s Australian women in the public service were forced to resign from their jobs as permanent officers if they got married.

Crazy huh? For a "progressive" country, Australia is/was quite a way behind some others. I remember attending a 'women in mining' function once and the guest speaker was a Principal Engineer from BHP, she was a Polish immigrant of some 20-30 years or so. She mentioned how shocked she was to find so few women in engineering in Australia (only ~3%) as back in Poland all those years ago women comprised at least 15% of engineers and it's only just getting to that level here now.

That was probably the only good thing about communism, education was free, compulsory and accessible to all irrespective of gender.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm a constant job/career changer, my attention span is never long enough to last more than a couple of years in any one job or career. Ideally I will be living off passive income and be a perpetual student :D I wouldn't pursue a career of any kind because the presence of bosses and meetings tends to beat any interest out of me.

the question I like to ask for those that really like their work...........

"if you replaced your income tommorow, would you go back to work for free"

I would still go back to work, though not sure for free? I love the culture where I work - it's aggressive :).

To answer MTR's question, I don't think it's too late - I'm not sure if I would take the leap...but I would like to get into corporate asset finance and be involved in doing commercial deals......

Back