If you had another choice

If he was anything like the brickies I worked with...

"CHEAP WINE AND CHEESE ON TOAST!"

"ONCE I SMOKED, A DI-AMOND CIGAR, A DROVE A FOREIGN CAR!"

"THEYGOTMARRIEDEARLY, NEVERHADNOMONEY, THENWHENHEGOTLAIDOFF, THEYREALLYHITTHESKIDS"

Christ. That reminds me of when I used to live in Geelong and would go down the pub on Friday night, when all the farm boys came into the city to drink and they would play Cold Chisel all night and sing along to it....

Me , well yes and no. What l'm doing now is a spin off from the business l started at 23 , long times ago :eek:
I had to fall back on to it because what l really wanted to be was a painter/artist. Well , we tried that eventually but it sent us broke.
So what l'm doing now was def' a compromise and a mix of something l do quite enjoy , but don't love , and it mostly pays the bills and gives me my own hours .
If l couldn't paint then l at least wanted something , something like what l do now for it's hours and freedom and at least some working with my hands.

If l had my time over l would've made a compromise in art instead and gone commercial artist in some field or other. Best of both worlds :D

Love what I do...... Good old Sparky trade is gold, Especially in Oil/Gas.

Agree, loved working with my hands and having to solve problems on the run but have just jumped to the dark side (Ops) so fingers crossed I enjoy it as much.
If I had the choice again though (and money wasn't a concern) I'd either be a builder or a landscaper/horticulturalist/nursery owner, love working with timber and love plants.

Instead got in to the office early because wanted higher wage and battling a very sedentary lifestyle

I hear you - as my metabolism slows down I am thinking that office work is less appropriate. Something active and less stress must surely be a better work life balance?

the question I like to ask for those that really like their work...........

"if you replaced your income tommorow, would you go back to work for free"

Surprisingly many would, under different terms however

ta

rolf

Of course not.

I'm on the verge of not going back even on payroll.

My question to you is are you happy with your choice/career???

yes

If you were able to select another career/do something else, what would it be and why??

I would get serious about a tech startup. Apply for a US based accelerator or list an idea on the ASX. This would draw upon much of what I do daily anyway so not a big leap.

If I had my chance again, I would probably be doing a very similar thing at this point in my life.

I have been working my near on dream job for the last 12months. Six months work/year, lots of travel, and good pay. All this wrapped into a dynamic and exciting role on one of the largest projects in the world (atm).
However, it has taken me about 8years to get to this point which has included a change of industry, and a change of country (more than once).

About all I would change is the location of the 6months at work. However, that in itself would require me to sacrifice some other points above. Instead I plan to work at it for another 3-4years before considering my options.

As others have said I would like to move to a more physically active role. I have been in a sedentary office role for over 10years now and it really has an effect on your health. I luckily don't struggle with weight, however, I can still see ill effects from shinning my butt for 12hrs a day.

As a lover of diving I persued this in my younger years, however, as soon as it became a job, and I 'had' to do it - I lost my enthusiasm for it.

Blacky

Take back my $400k and f**k the workshop off.

I was going to be a marine biologist before golf changed my direction...

I reckon I'd have pursued the marine biology work if I could go back.

As another choice right now; renoing IP's.

Last edited:
If I was given a second chance, I would have loved to become a
travel journalist / photographer

A friend of my works for Lonely Planet, and it's pretty amazing to do what he does

I'm actually about to change careers as I'm so unhappy where I am. It means going from a stable job with a quite good income to one that pays half as much while I'm on training for a year.

I'm changing from IT to become an Air Traffic Controller. I can't say it's always been my dream job, but ever since it came up in a vocational test I did earlier this year, I've done heaps of research on it and it really sounds like a good match.

I'm taking a really big gamble to do this, but I figure we're not doing too badly with our investments, and if I don't do it now I never will.

Just waiting for one more medical test, so long as I pass that (which I should) then I'm off to Melbourne for a complete lifestyle and career change. Scary but exciting!

I'm actually about to change careers as I'm so unhappy where I am. It means going from a stable job with a quite good income to one that pays half as much while I'm on training for a year.

I'm changing from IT to become an Air Traffic Controller. I can't say it's always been my dream job, but ever since it came up in a vocational test I did earlier this year, I've done heaps of research on it and it really sounds like a good match.

I'm taking a really big gamble to do this, but I figure we're not doing too badly with our investments, and if I don't do it now I never will.

Just waiting for one more medical test, so long as I pass that (which I should) then I'm off to Melbourne for a complete lifestyle and career change. Scary but exciting!

I have a friend whe is an Air Traffic Controller. He does nothing but whinge about the roster, hours and pay. Good luck!

pinkboy

I don't know any air traffic controllers, just curious how much does this pay?? considering the stress etc.

For those who got caught up with "Breaking Bad" series, reminds me of the scene where the air traffic controller stuffed up.... miss that show

I don't know any air traffic controllers, just curious how much does this pay?? considering the stress etc.

For those who got caught up with "Breaking Bad" series, reminds me of the scene where the air traffic controller stuffed up.... miss that show

Don't know about their pay but I do know it can be a stressful job. My mate is an instructor at the local airport. Get's paid 65$/hr BUT only airtime. Days where its raining dogs and cats, he'll do hours of FREE paperwork on the ground. But he loves his job and wouldn't give it away for anything.

Don't know about their pay but I do know it can be a stressful job. My mate is an instructor at the local airport. Get's paid 65$/hr BUT only airtime. Days where its raining dogs and cats, he'll do hours of FREE paperwork on the ground. But he loves his job and wouldn't give it away for anything.

That is peanuts for the stress involved, what if you get it wrong... oops

As a lover of diving I persued this in my younger years, however, as soon as it became a job, and I 'had' to do it - I lost my enthusiasm for it.

Blacky

Too right.
I enjoy a bit of a fang on a race track on a fast car, but if it became a job - yeck....

The Y-man

Would've loved to have completed interior design - or architecture - when straight out of school. Sadly higher education wasn't really the done thing for girls in those days so became a bank teller instead.

As for going back now ... I look at the years of study (3-4) ... high debt at the end of it ... years of work to build up a reputation to go out on my own and earn a decent wage (5) ... bugger that as I intend to be well and truly "retired" by then.

I did look at both courses around 20 years ago, but I was working full time and the only interior design course (in those days) was 2 hours drive away - 4 hours return - for 6 years and/or the architecture would've taken near a decade to complete part time locally

Spoke about this last week with some of the staff, If I won lotto tomorrow I would still continue to work. I enjoy what I do - But would not likely do it under the same conditions.

If I won lotto tomorrow I would still continue to work. I enjoy what I do - But would not likely do it under the same conditions.

If I won lotto , yes ... Powerball , maybe not :D

I enjoy my job most of the time . I wouldn't mind trimming the hours a little bit .

Having said that , I've been doing it for close to 30 years and if I had complete financial freedom to live my live at Higher income level and do something different ( song writing ) I'd do it .

Cliff

If I won lotto , yes ... Powerball , maybe not :D

I enjoy my job most of the time . I wouldn't mind trimming the hours a little bit .

Having said that , I've been doing it for close to 30 years and if I had complete financial freedom to live my live at Higher income level and do something different ( song writing ) I'd do it .

Cliff

Agreed - hours would be trimmed and would be selecting which clients I looked after.

Back