Im being taken to VCAT

ok, so does anybody have any advice....

changed PMs very recently, and I get an email to start the day saying "did you know your tenant is taking you to vcat for constantly blowing fuses and blocking pipes?"

This is the first time ive been made aware of the VCAT notice, what is likely to happen? and what are they seeking eg termination of lease, get it fixed

both problems, I assumed were sorted, and I was totally unaware of anything going on

there was an incident about 2 months ago, where the electrician had to go out late at night to fix something of which it cost me like $1500 to get a new fusebox or switchboard

as for the blocking pipes, about 2 months ago, there was a blockage and a plumber was sent out to replace an entire section of the back yard pipe

not a big fan of the word VCAT at the moment :(

Oh and Im waitng for the agent to call me back, called as soon as i got the email

Last edited:
On their application they would off stated what they are seeking and why which your agent should have or should be able to get a copy off.

The question is how ongoing was the issue before your previous agent told you about it? If the tenants had to live with power issues and blocked sewerage pipes for a long time and can prove it then they may be seeking compensation or repairs.
If there are any repairs outstanding your new PM needs to get the details on those repairs and get them done immediately.
You need to go into VCAT and show that you weren't aware of the issues but as soon as you became aware of the issues the repairs were carried out immediately. This will assist but the member hearing the matter may award your tenant some compensation. A good chance to repair your relationship with the tenants as they may be thinking poorly of you because of the last agent!

Please do let us know how it all goes, if your property is somewhere near me I can recommend some good trades who will do what needs to be done and not charge the earth.

How did you go TMNT?? Have you had the VCAT hearing or negotiated with tenants and sorted it all out?

Hope it all went / goes well!

Back