im calling bottom

Things are starting to look such good value on the stock market Im thinking of going there instead of real property for the next while.
How would you feel if the prospect for 'the market' was a decade of price stagnation? Have you considered that possibility?

Just curious...

If you were happy to pay a certain price for something, then that price should be based on the long term cash flow from that investment. If you were happy to pay 2007 prices for shares (which i wasnt hence why i wasnt in the market in 2007) to generate long term dividends based on 2007 prices then you should be estatic with the prices being offered in 2008.
If you are saying hang on a moment there are all these risk factors appearing in 2008, then your assumptions based on 2007 prices were optomistic, and you should be evaluating your own ability to value the intrinsic value of a share rather than trying to forecaste whether we have hit the bottom.

As i have been saying all year, who cares what the indicies are doing. I am looking at investing in specific companies, not the indicies.

Smartest. Post. Ever. :)

May I sum up the prime cuts?
a) value (and ultimately price) is a function of long-term earnings*
b) value may be completely unrelated to the price speculators are willing to buy/sell for

* This is equally applicable to real estate. And funnily enough, the long-term earnings of real estate are much more predictable than company earnings.

* This is equally applicable to real estate. And funnily enough, the long-term earnings of real estate are much more predictable than company earnings.

In part due to the fact that property usually isn't run by someone who is going to disappear with around half a billion dollars in golden parachute funds just before the crash.

In part due to the fact that property usually isn't run by someone who is going to disappear with around half a billion dollars in golden parachute funds just before the crash.

You say that as though widespread corporate fraud and lax regulation was a bad thing.

Im calling low 3000 for ASX 200 ;)

Things are starting to look such good value on the stock market Im thinking of going there instead of real property for the next while. Not jumping in yet though by any stretch...

That's todays prediction is it boomtown ;) I wonder what tomorrows prediction will be :D

sorry, couldn't help myself :p

dow at 8400ish - just where Cramer said it would go.

i wonder what will ahppen tonight - i'm calling a small sell off, then mixed reactions till a rally later in the week.

stil, predictions are pointless in a bear market.

For those who think stock yields are great right now, a reminder of what can happen when times are tough.

Barclays has confirmed it plans to raise more than £6.5bn of extra capital from investors to strengthen its balance sheet.

The group also said it will not be paying a £2bn dividend for the 2008 financial year.
GP

Dont get sucked into the ASX rally today and tomorrow. Its a suckers rally. More pain by the end of the week.

Im sticking to low 3000 for ASX and 7500 for the DOW :p

BT, i was watching the suckers today.... thinking much of the same... these are all manufactured rallys. we need to hit the real bottom. we will see them get slaughtered by end of week IMO.

You two shouldn't be chearing on the share crash. Shares are just companies. Companies generate the real wealth of an economy, not property. If companies aren't making money, then the wealth can't be spent on property.

Now is a great time to be buying these great Australian companies. Anyone with a 10 year view will do well. Easy cash flow positive for lots of stuff. But if I'm wrong, and these companies go much lower, then the whole economy is really stuffed. That's when property will really tank. You two don't want to see that eh?

As I don't know when the bottom will be, I've been dribbleing cash in.

The low A$ will mean a lot of profits from resource companies will surprise when they come out in A$.

Shares and commodities are crashing because they are so liquid, and people are panic selling what they can to pay back debt. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

See ya's.

Hey topcropper,

Not cheering it on... just belive its artificial recovery at present... got no $ to put in market anyway.

Fair enough.

So why call share investors today suckers? I bet plenty don't give a stuff what the share does tomorrow, they are buying for the assets and the future dividends and the future growth in 10 years time.

It's no different to what you have been doing, buying cheap assets.

See ya's.

But if I'm wrong, and these companies go much lower, then the whole economy is really stuffed. That's when property will really tank. You two don't want to see that eh?

Exactly - couldnt agree more - its reached the stage now that (a) shares are really, really, (really!!!) cheap, or (b) they are fairly valued factoring in a serious recession and BIG falls in earnings going forwards.

If the answer is (b) property is also very very very over-valued.

I'm tipping (and hoping) the answer is (a) :)

A suckers rally is where investors come in and buy before price crashes...

Many opporunities out there, however.... the rally today i feel was built on a unstable foundation...

Lets see @ end of week if ASX is over 4000?

Many opporunities out there, however.... the rally today i feel was built on a unstable foundation...

Lets see @ end of week if ASX is over 4000?

You don't get it.

I bet most buying today don't care what the ASX is next week. I don't care.

If the ASX is 3000 next year, I will still be here, as I am debt free and have 80% of my assets in agricultural land which historically has little correlation to investment cycles.

ASX at 3000 next year, and I predict you will be in big trouble. So don't wish for it.

See ya's.

Exactly topcropper.

It will mean this years purchases of AFI, ARG, MLT, will yield more and be cheaper.

Im just hoping corporate earnings (and hence share prices) doesnt fall too much over the coming 1 - 3 years cause then my rents won't go up and my IPs will certainly fall.

Back