Immigration Myths

Thought this was very interesting, a number of these mirror what some of the Aussie population fear.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/ten-myths-migration-europe

?They are taking our jobs?
?They deplete welfare budgets?
?They don?t integrate?
?They come here illegally?
?Where there are immigrants you?ll find crime?
?They dilute our values?
?They won?t learn local languages?
?Relaxing immigration laws would lead to the country being inundated?
?Basic services such as hospitals and schools collapse?
?They don?t return to their own countries when their situation improves?

10 Most popular countries for Immigration:

..... what Russia number 2, that comes as quite a surprise

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Germany
4. Saudi Arabia
5. United Arab Emirates
6. UK
7. France
8. Canada
9. Australia
10. Spain

Like most newspaper articles, where comments are allowed, you'll find some interesting viewpoints :D

we are censored from comment on articles that are controversial for fear of upsetting minorities - goes to show the weakness of western society and why it is ultimately doomed to failure

read an interesting study a while back that questioned the value of immigration. Contrary to common belief, it found that immigration added no value (in fact it was negative) to net worth of existing residents. Aggregate expansion comes at a cost.

having said that I believe we need to get our numbers up towards 300 million sooner rather than later

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Germany
4. Saudi Arabia
5. United Arab Emirates
6. UK
7. France
8. Canada
9. Australia
10. Spain

Surprised about France and Spain. Who's going there? Both countries are dying with 50% youth unemployment.

Surprised HK/China doesn't make the list given a lot of people go there to make money now. Even French butlers go to China to work now since they can't get jobs in Europe.

Surprised about France and Spain. Who's going there? Both countries are dying.

Surprised HK/China doesn't make the list given a lot of people go there to make money now. Even French butlers go to China to work now since they can't get jobs in Europe.

I think you can retire to Spain relatively cheaply. France, Im unsure of.

pinkboy

Surprised about France and Spain. Who's going there? Both countries are dying with 50% youth unemployment.

I was very surprised at the list as well, though Spain much cheaper to live, but no jobs, makes no sense.

Did not expect US to be number 1 on the list with their economy going pear shaped over the last 5 years or so.

It's a well known port of call for Africans and Middle Eastern immigrants - of the legal and illegal variety.

Hence the big cultural shifts and push back re; religion, culture and France's identity.

One of the most ridiculous myths I ever heard about immigrants is that they convert suburbs into ghettos. Utter nonsense!

Enough said on that preposterous claim. Anyway off I go to Cabra for some chow...whoa...that snot rocket was too close for comfort!

They stand out to who? Do people with brown, yellow, olive or black skin stand out in Australia or America or England?

Let's say I was educated to think of French people having white skins. In Paris this year for my first European visit, I was expecting to encounter many different groups of people. Would you feel better if I stated that I did notice that about half the people I saw in Paris did not look like I had been led to believe, via my 1960s Anglo public education, French people should look. Of course I had been taught that every one in France looks like (white) Vogue models or film stars.

To answer your question more directly, where I live most people do look alike. A person dressed in traditional African or Islamic dress DOES stand out. Not Asians, as we have had Chinese people living in Australia since the 19th century and Vietnamese since the fall of Saigon. The people in Brisbane who look Asian to me, tend to dress the same as me, before you comment on dress.

Where I live in white picket fence middle class Pleasantville suburbia, everyone has the same coloured skins. My seven-eighth British/one-eighth Maori tan is the same shade as the Punjabi lady I work with and all the Fijians at work. Those my age and older with pale white skins tend to be covered in freckles and age spots which also match my tan.

Me, I?m a recent immigrant to Spain. Plus I made 2 kids here so increased the population by 3, doing my bit to help the Spanish economy. Some other immigrants I know (from South America) have left though because of the economy, but longer term it will recover, Spanish people are hard working and innovative and it?s one of the better countries in Europe to live.

Back