Immigration Myths

Let's say I was educated to think of French people having white skins. In Paris this year for my first European visit, ... .

Slightly off topic: Angel, what month were you in Paris? We may have been there at the same time. Gorgeous city, but too many tourists when we were there--May.

I was very surprised at the list as well, though Spain much cheaper to live, but no jobs, makes no sense.

Did not expect US to be number 1 on the list with their economy going pear shaped over the last 5 years or so.

Both are countries where a lot of English have retirement houses purchased. With their economies tanking, it may be even more attractive.

Spanish people are hard working and innovative and it?s one of the better countries in Europe to live.

Unfortunately that hasn't been my experience of them (in Spain, in Australia I tend to find them no different). Having said that, negatively stereotyping a whole nation based on about 50 people is ridiculous, not that it stops some :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Both are countries where a lot of English have retirement houses purchased. With their economies tanking, it may be even more attractive.
Yes a lot of foreigners are returning to the Spanish market (especially Russians)... not the British so much though as everything is more expensive for them now after the collapse of the pound.
Unfortunately that hasn't been my experience of them (in Spain, in Australia I tend to find them no different). Having said that, negatively stereotyping a whole nation based on about 50 people is ridiculous, not that it stops some :rolleyes:
Yes it?s a popular German/British stereotype, totally wrong though, I?ve been very impressed by the promptness and work of Spanish tradesmen I?ve got to do things. Plus most shops stay open until 8, 9 or 10pm, they work long hours.

Joe
Think I am watching too much foxtel, all I see is English oldies moving to Spain in new overpriced apartments, perhaps this is not the norm??

I've heard that after the GFC there were a lo of properties in Spain which collapsed in value - to perhaps half of the original (probably very inflated) prices.

It would be more attractive if it were possible to live there for more than three months at a time.

I've heard that after the GFC there were a lo of properties in Spain which collapsed in value - to perhaps half of the original (probably very inflated) prices.

It would be more attractive if it were possible to live there for more than three months at a time.

I thought I read somewhere if you purchased a property you got a residency pass automatically?

Joe
Think I am watching too much foxtel, all I see is English oldies moving to Spain in new overpriced apartments, perhaps this is not the norm??
This was the case before the GFC. The British buyers were more concentrated in the cheaper parts of southern Spain. This article discusses the foreign buyer recovery and collapse in British buyers.
http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2014/11/19/foreign-demand-back-boom-levels-british/

I've heard that after the GFC there were a lo of properties in Spain which collapsed in value - to perhaps half of the original (probably very inflated) prices
Yes coastal prices are about half or less than 6 years ago.

I thought I read somewhere if you purchased a property you got a residency pass automatically?
It has to be more than 500K Euro, a lot, but not for some like the Russians who tend to buy the expensive stuff.

If I was considering Spain, I'd prefer to have a "try before you buy" option - to stay longer than 3 months in the first instance.

I think there are also retiree options, but it is a commitment also.

Let's say I was educated to think of French people having white skins. In Paris this year for my first European visit, I was expecting to encounter many different groups of people. Would you feel better if I stated that I did notice that about half the people I saw in Paris did not look like I had been led to believe, via my 1960s Anglo public education, French people should look. Of course I had been taught that every one in France looks like (white) Vogue models or film stars.

To answer your question more directly, where I live most people do look alike. A person dressed in traditional African or Islamic dress DOES stand out. Not Asians, as we have had Chinese people living in Australia since the 19th century and Vietnamese since the fall of Saigon. The people in Brisbane who look Asian to me, tend to dress the same as me, before you comment on dress.

Where I live in white picket fence middle class Pleasantville suburbia, everyone has the same coloured skins. My seven-eighth British/one-eighth Maori tan is the same shade as the Punjabi lady I work with and all the Fijians at work. Those my age and older with pale white skins tend to be covered in freckles and age spots which also match my tan.

We may have had Vietnam else here since the fall of saigon as you say but Africans started moving to France after WW2, even before then so not sure the logic adds up that blacks stand out in France and Vietnamese don't in Australia based on length of time they've been here.

We may have had Vietnam else here since the fall of saigon as you say but Africans started moving to France after WW2, even before then so not sure the logic adds up that blacks stand out in France and Vietnamese don't in Australia based on length of time they've been here.

huh? People with Asian features will blend into a society with western features I think more readily than those with much darker skins. This is not a derogatory remark, only my observations. I was also referring to the style of dress. I tend to notice clothes or hairstyles before skin colour. I have not noticed any dark skinned people in my community. When I see someone or a group, say in Sydney or Melbourne CBD, with very dark skin, an unusual hairstyle and very bright floor length clothes, all together, they stand out.

In Singapore I was enthralled by the beautiful clothes many Indian women wore. The colours and fabrics are amazing. Here there are plenty of Indian women but I hardly ever see them wearing saris. They seem to wear the same clothes as I do. If a lady goes out in public in a sari, rare but it does happen, it is a very pale colour which does not draw my attention.

huh? just pointing out the fallacy of your claim

i hope you didnt pay too much for your education, because if they taught you all french people were white id be asking for my money back

huh? People with Asian features will blend into a society with western features I think more readily than those with much darker skins. This is not a derogatory remark, only my observations. I was also referring to the style of dress. I tend to notice clothes or hairstyles before skin colour. I have not noticed any dark skinned people in my community. When I see someone or a group, say in Sydney or Melbourne CBD, with very dark skin, an unusual hairstyle and very bright floor length clothes, all together, they stand out.

In Singapore I was enthralled by the beautiful clothes many Indian women wore. The colours and fabrics are amazing. Here there are plenty of Indian women but I hardly ever see them wearing saris. They seem to wear the same clothes as I do. If a lady goes out in public in a sari, rare but it does happen, it is a very pale colour which does not draw my attention.

typical queenslander....

sorry no hope of finding it now.

200-300m seems about right - nay essential - for a country of this size, particularly if we ever irrigated the entire west coast

The west coast of WA! Some of the poorest, most infertile land on the planet! How on earth would you irrigate this barren sandy dirt? Where would the dams be built? The Ord River scheme was built on the best patch of land anyone could find up there, and it's only irrigating 12,000 hectares. It would be lucky to produce enough food to feed Darwin and has been an unmitigated economic disaster since it was built. So now you think millions more hectares can by irrigated to feed 100's of millions of people! Just nuts!

See ya's.

I'm an immigrant myself (though a white one, so Pauline wouldn't mind me) and I think that if immigration is done right, it can be a beneficial thing for the country.
However, if it's done wrong, it can be terrible. Often immigrants that aren't integrated quickly can become a problem. Then of cause there are the ones that don't want to accept the values of their new country.

Immigration is a problem in much of Europe, for example in Finland 21% of rapes are committed by foreigners while they only make up 2.2% of the population.

The problem is that liberal countries are letting non-liberal immigrants in and are assuming that they'll adhere to the society there, which they don't.

I don't know what the solution is, closing the borders certainly wouldn't be the right thing. I think it has to be made abundantly clear to new immigrants that they're expected to adhere to social conventions and if they choose not to do this, they will be asked to leave.

I'm an immigrant myself (though a white one, so Pauline wouldn't mind me) and I think that if immigration is done right, it can be a beneficial thing for the country..

I agree.

However, if it's done wrong, it can be terrible. Often immigrants that aren't integrated quickly can become a problem. Then of cause there are the ones that don't want to accept the values of their new country..

Yep.

I don't know what the solution is, closing the borders certainly wouldn't be the right thing. I think it has to be made abundantly clear to new immigrants that they're expected to adhere to social conventions and if they choose not to do this, they will be asked to leave.

I'd stop immigration from certain groups. Increase immigration from China and other non [the religion of peace] Asian countries. Add people to this country who want to work and not just get on the welfare teat.

See ya's.

This is what I want too although it is entirely impractical and not how things work in the real world. The other issue is what to do with "locals" who choose not to adhere to social conventions. I have certainly run into many of those too.

I guess the bottom line is that if you have people, you will have problems. Personally, I enjoy my multi-cultural little pocket of Perth.

I'd stop immigration from certain groups. Increase immigration from China and other non [the religion of peace] Asian countries.
So let's have a race and religion based immigration system. That's a good idea. It worked for some countries last century.
Add people to this country who want to work and not just get on the welfare teat.
We certainly don't want people who just want to such from the welfare teat.

Back