Immigration Myths

We certainly don't want people who just want to suck from the welfare teat.

So what do people make of these figures?

From the Australian Government. Statistical paper number 9
https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-de...ies/statistical-paper-no-9-income?HTML=#sec_1

In 2010, there was 11,515 Lebanon born Australians receiving a disability pension. From, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 90,030 Lebanon born Australians. So one in eight is on a disability pension. Of course, of the 90 thousand, there would be a major portion of school age or too old to work, so it would be more like one in 5.

Compare to New Zealand born or UK born Australians.

NZ, 13,960 on disability pension out of 540,000, or one in 38
UK, 41,000 on disability pension out of 1.2 million, or one in 39.

There is some major rorting going on here. Most of the nutters who leave here to go fight for ISIS seem to be on a disability pension, yet they are fine to head overseas to fight a war.

See ya's.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know more about why so many Lebanon born Australians are on disability support ?

It's quite often a community thing. Somebody starts to do it, other people I he community pick up the idea and run with it. I've seen things happen in other immigrant communities.

But because, say people in a community do the wrong thing, doesn't mean that all people of the same religion and speaking the same language abuse the system. It doesn't even mean that all people within that community do the wrong thing. I know far more people from that same community who work hard and contribute.

The implication I see from a previous post is that because there are people within a community who abuse, that we should ban all people of that religion and/or race from entering the country.

It's quite often a community thing. Somebody starts to do it, other people I he community pick up the idea and run with it. I've seen things happen in other immigrant communities.

But because, say people in a community do the wrong thing, doesn't mean that all people of the same religion and speaking the same language abuse the system. It doesn't even mean that all people within that community do the wrong thing. I know far more people from that same community who work hard and contribute.

The implication I see from a previous post is that because there are people within a community who abuse, that we should ban all people of that religion and/or race from entering the country.

You would have to agree that the statistics are pretty alarming nonetheless.

You would have to agree that the statistics are pretty alarming nonetheless.

Yes. I agree that abuses like that should be investigated and prosecuted. They have no place here.

However I don't believe that abuses by people within one group should justify a blanket treatment of all people of a racial group or religion. Many people have perceptions of people, which may be based on actual observations of some people within the group - but I don't like to put people in a box before I get to know them.

Categorising all people within a group based on conceptions is the start of racism ISO.

If that happened, all Australians would be banned from SE Asia.

Yes. I agree that abuses like that should be investigated and prosecuted. They have no place here.

However I don't believe that abuses by people within one group should justify a blanket treatment of all people of a racial group or religion. Many people have perceptions of people, which may be based on actual observations of some people within the group - but I don't like to put people in a box before I get to know them.

Categorising all people within a group based on conceptions is the start of racism ISO.

Agreed, we should not tar all with the same brush. However from your previous post where you outlined that they jump on the bandwagon of welfare because they see an avenue of advantage is totally unacceptable.

Good post . Couldn't dissagree with that .

The west coast of WA! Some of the poorest, most infertile land on the planet! How on earth would you irrigate this barren sandy dirt? Where would the dams be built? The Ord River scheme was built on the best patch of land anyone could find up there, and it's only irrigating 12,000 hectares. It would be lucky to produce enough food to feed Darwin and has been an unmitigated economic disaster since it was built. So now you think millions more hectares can by irrigated to feed 100's of millions of people! Just nuts!

See ya's.

Typical East Coast thinking! :)

I know a bloke who literally drilled a hole in the ground just above Port Hedland and found 50 gigalitres per year. Who needs a dam when there is all that water under your feet? This lack of water rubbish we get fed is the biggest crock IMHO. When a cyclone comes over , most of the water would go into the ground if it wasn't already full of it.

Although I completely agree about the quality of the soil. But i was at Port Macquarie the other day picking hydroponic strawberries and tomatoes so clearly clearly good soil isn't that attractive sometimes- there are other options if you have water. Mind you, I do prefer the taste of food grown in real soil...

While 300m may be a bit high I do think we need a greater critical mass of people in order to defend ourselves and reduce the wealth disparity between us and our neighbours, which could lead to conflict. I don't pretend this will make us any wealthier - just less of a target if we help other countries with their population problems... We are incredibly wealthy already by global standards after all, despite the battler narrative. There are an awful lot of real battlers in that country just to the north of us!

BTW how can the Ord have been an economic disaster? The biggest inland sea in the country with the smallest dam? It cost next to nothing? It hasn't yet done as well as some hoped but it's expanding, particularly if the NT guys can resolve their native title issues. It was always going to take awhile to work out what could be grown up there - next to no real research was done prior to it being built. It took decades for the East Coast to get properly productive too!

Would probably need doctors to be in on it too? Surely? They are the ones who determine if someone should be on a disability pension? [is this correct, dunno?]

I can just see here a similar thing to what happened in England with those muslim pedophiles? Too many PC correct people who don't want to rock the boat for fear of being called racist or a bigot, so the offenders carry on with no one even to stop them. These figures are here for all to see, so why isn't something being done about it?

See ya's.

this is seriously misinformed

Irrigation would be a trifling expense compared to the benefits delivered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberley–Perth_Canal

Didn't Colin Barnett lose that election because someone pointed out how ridiculously uneconomic that canal from the north would be? Didn't the catch cry of that election become something to do with the "far-canal". :p

If it was a pipeline to bring water to Perth for domestic use, that could work. Water for domestic use can be worth a few dollars per tonne and everyone is happy. But it's all different for irrigation of crops and pasture. It takes a tonne of water to produce a kilo of grain or a litre of milk. Grain worth 30 cents per kilo or milk worth 40 cents per litre. That's to the farmer at the farm gate as it's heading to the market, so the water needs to be delivered for just a few cents per tonne for the farmer to make anything. It can't be done at this stage.

See ya's.

Last edited:
WA politics are a load of drivel. one former liberal govt lost office for the sake of a $12m bell tower! what should have been a great central feature was cut short because of domestic minority groups rabbiting on about nothing. The canal is not uneconomic, it become a political poison chalice, it will have to happen eventually and is chicken feed in the scheme of large projects - as a comparison the Mandurah rail line cost over $1 billion!

you realise how much water is held in the Kimberley?

http://www.lakeargyle.com/discover-lake-argyle/statistics/

I don't know why we are stuffing around with this, it is a matter of national urgency. the north west needs populating, WA could be broken up into at least 15 states. Or we could just keep going as is I suppose, milk the north west gas for all it is worth, build freeways in Sydney and pile millions of people into the Sydney western suburbs and the economy there can consist of finance packaging and guys servings lattes to each other

Not sure what you mean with mandurah line reference but that has proven to be outstanding value

my reference was that in comparison there would be way better value in irrigating the state.

however I will pick up on your comments... proven by what or who? All I see is a dysfunctional system, the Mandurah train station is miles from anywhere, then a track covering a great expanse of nothing as it bypasses community after community with a train station in a sand pit that is creatively called rockingham and then a few overflowing park n ride stations. Meanwhile the infrastructure for the original path sits there decaying and the tens of millions spent on platform designs etc have long been trashed - makes the bell tower look like a petty expense but politics have a way of making the tail wag the dog

Have a look at the patronage numbers per dollar spent, it has been an outstanding result. Yes mandurah train station was not well positioned but the entire success/Atwell etc precinct would not have ended up being such a good result if it wasn't for the train station.

Your views seem to be all over the place.

-You are quite anti public transport spending based on your views of this as well as previous posts re wanting the money that was going to be spent o light rail to be spent In claremont

- you don't want infill In existing suburbs yet places like success would be a mess without public transport

-you want 300m people in this country and once again without infill or PT, how would this work??

If you feel like look up the patronage numbers on mandurah line, how much it cost and compare to other infrastructure spends around the country, in particular light and heavy rail. It has been a huge success

Back