Impact Assessable Development Advertising

Anyone got experience with Impact assessable developments?

How much harder are they to get through as opposed to Code Assessable?
I understand that a public notice of development (signboard) gets put out the front of the property so that neighbours can see what is being proposed, and have their say, but is this the only form of notification?

Does the council usually contact the neighbours by letter etc- or just the signboard, and then leave it up to the neighbours to find out for themselves?

Proposed property is in the Moreton Bay Council's (15kms north of Brisbane) jurisdiction.

Generally adjoining property owners are notified in writing from either the council or your planner as part of the criteria of an impact assessable, and also a certain size advertisment in print in the local rag (Mackay Regional Council for example).

The sign also mast stay up the whole time as well. people have been caught out leaning the sign against a fence as a diversion to the fact.

Impact assessable are not 'harder' per se, they just require a more structured planning process.

pinkboy

Hi JT

You are required to give a standard form notice in writing to your neighbors in writing for an impact DA but note that there are also certain developments which may trigger code notifiable applications. So even though code you still have to do the notification stuff.

Objections under the SPA only allow the person to become a submitter appellant (means they can appeal to the planning and environment court) anyway. I have never found them to be hold any sway with council, unless you are really trying to push boundary setback relaxations, then owners consent can help.

If you PM me the address and what you want to do I am happy to give you some feedback. Also if you are happy for me to give feedback over the forum, while removing any property identifying details, that might be an informative topic for some forum members

regards

Thanks Guys.

Can you go to council and see a list of people who object to your development?

I remember a place i worked for years ago had to do a MCU to change to the type of professional office we were and we managed to get a list of the people who objected- all our competition looking out for themselves.......

The owner of this business had contacts all over the place so i wasnt sure if this list of objections was sourced on the sneaky, or it is always made available....

I would definitely contact neighbours first so by the time council send their letters, the application is old news.... So hopefully objectors won't be a big problem.

JT has Kindly allowed me to share some of the feedback on the proposal so everyone can see.

Infrastructure Charges
The highest level proposal is for reconfiguring of 1 lot into 9. First thing to note is infrastructure charges. MBRC has an adopted infrastructure charges resolution, which makes calculation possible instantly. As the land would allow 3 beds or greater, AIC is $28,000 per lot. 8 extra lots = $224,000. This is payable at time of survey plan endorsement, much better than the old at approval time. This means you could do the subdivision and start selling the land. Blocks could go under contract even, so long as the survey plan is endorsed just prior to settlement.

Roads
Would need to contract a road to council specifications

Water & Sewerage
Connections must be made to each individual lot. Possible also need to place watering tap on any landscaped strip in roadway, roundabout etc.

Fibre Ready comms
Must install fibre ready communications infrastructure (pit and pipe). It si a standard that the installer will have to meet

Electricity
Underground electricity to each lot (little green box)

more to come

South East Qld Regional Plan
The lot is identified as being within the Urban Footprint. 1 into 9 lots of the size proposed is consistent with the intent of the SEQRP.

Waterway Corridor
The waterway corridor would need further investigation. This may require adjustments to building plans, or even lot design and roadway positioning. This may well require a hydrological engineer to assess the impacts.

Consistency with MBRC Planning
The reconfiguration is inconsistent with the current zoning of the plan. However as it is consistent with the SEQRP and there are more intensive developments in close proximity, it looks possible.

Overall
It appears on a very quick investigation that the higher use 1into 9 lot reconfiguration would be possible. As council is ultimate decision make, do not make any decisions based on this info. Even a full investigation is not a guarantee of a successful outcome. Council as the decision maker has significant discretion in this type of application. Though it appears there would be sufficient grounds to appeal to planning and environment court if application was not successful, assuming that waterways and vegetation do not become an issue. This is not a formal assessment and should not be relied upon in anyway.

Thanks RPI for all the information, it has helped me quite a lot and hopefully other people on this forum.

With regards to such a subdivision, where can I find what the council requirements are on a suitable road design?

Im trying to find a list of applicable council fees to do my costings, anyone out there done something similar? what fees am i forgetting?

in planning for council fees, for a design like this, im guessing the following would all be applicable? (from Moreton Bay council website)

Material change of use (to change zoning) ??????
Material Change of Use - Coordinated Signage Plan $560.00
Reconfiguration of a lot (one into 9) $1,867.00- is this each lot?
Operational works (tree clearing-dirt moving) ??????

Before final Approval
Early Endorsement Fee $4,532.00
Endorsement of Plan of Survey - Standard $483.00 per lot

Infrastructure charges $224,000 plus 1 litre of blood....

See responses below

Thanks RPI for all the information, it has helped me quite a lot and hopefully other people on this forum.

With regards to such a subdivision, where can I find what the council requirements are on a suitable road design?
There is an Australian Standard and then the Council may have their own adjustments. It should be on their website, alternatively call them and they should be able to email you a pdf with the specs

Im trying to find a list of applicable council fees to do my costings, anyone out there done something similar? what fees am i forgetting?

in planning for council fees, for a design like this, im guessing the following would all be applicable? (from Moreton Bay council website)

Material change of use (to change zoning) ?????? N/A
Material Change of Use - Coordinated Signage Plan $560.00 N/A
Reconfiguration of a lot (one into 9) $1,867.00- is this each lot? Yes each lot
Drainage and stormwater plan fee $1805
Landscape Plan $570
Roads and drainage plan $527
Intersection with a major Road $11,318
mains sewearge plan $134
Mains water plan $114

Operational works (tree clearing-dirt moving) ??????

Before final Approval
Early Endorsement Fee $4,532.00
Endorsement of Plan of Survey - Standard $483.00 per lot

Infrastructure charges $224,000 plus 1 litre of blood....

See responses below

Ok, just to clarify completely, so to chop up the block and have 8 new lots plus a balance lot, the council costs would be:

Initial application fees:
Reconfiguration of a lot (one into 9) $1,867 x8 = $14,936
Drainage and stormwater plan fee $1,805 x1 = $ 1,805
Landscape Plan $570 x1 = $ 507
Roads and drainage plan $527 x1 = $ 527
Intersection with a major Road $11,318 x1 = $11,318
mains sewerage plan $134 x1 = $ 134
Mains water plan $114 x1 = $ 114
Total = $29,341

Any application fees for tree clearing, operational works etc? Any other fees that I am missing?????

Before final Approval
Early Endorsement Fee $4,532.00 x1 = $4,532
Endorsement of Plan of Survey $483.00 x8 = $3,864
Infrastructure charges $28,000 x8 = $224,000
Total = $232,296

GRAND TOTAL $261,737

A cool quarter of a mil for the council before turning any dirt.

Anything i have missed?

Ok, just to clarify completely, so to chop up the block and have 8 new lots plus a balance lot, the council costs would be:

Initial application fees:
Reconfiguration of a lot (one into 9) $1,867 x8 = $14,936
Drainage and stormwater plan fee $1,805 x1 = $ 1,805
Landscape Plan $570 x1 = $ 507
Roads and drainage plan $527 x1 = $ 527
Intersection with a major Road $11,318 x1 = $11,318
mains sewerage plan $134 x1 = $ 134
Mains water plan $114 x1 = $ 114
Total = $29,341

Any application fees for tree clearing, operational works etc? Any other fees that I am missing????? Looks like you about have it, the fees above are operational works fees associated with recong a lot. If you wanted to do things before the reconfig then you would need to pay a separate operational works fees
This section below happens when you have done all the works and it is ready for final
Before final Approval
Early Endorsement Fee $4,532.00 x1 = $4,532
Endorsement of Plan of Survey $483.00 x8 = $3,864
Infrastructure charges $28,000 x8 = $224,000
Total = $232,296

GRAND TOTAL $261,737

the $29k figure is before you turn any dirt, the ofther fees are payable when you want the titles to be clear so a settlement can occur. You can have all the owrks completed and start selling them, just need to ensure that between contract and settlement the above fees are paid so you can get title
A cool quarter of a mil for the council before turning any dirt.

Anything i have missed?

I hope that helps

I hope that helps

Thanks again, thats great, doing some costing estimates today.

One question about the infrastructure charges, can they be paid on a per block basis? Ie put a block under contract, then pay that blocks infrastructure charges so that it can get final approval & settle, then move onto the next one?
or do they have to be done in all one go?

Yes it is possible to do it that way, several ways of achieving that. but you will have to pay individual plan sealing fees as opposed to one bulk one. Could do that with the first one or two to help with cashflow and then pay remainder. Possible also 11% interest charge on remaining IC depending on which way you do it.

I hope that helps

a couple of questions- after seeing the plan, what amount of time would you reasonably expect this development to get to the stage where the lots are titled and ready for sale?

Also that "intersection with a main road" fee is 10 times what most the other council fees are, does this include some civil works, ie widening the driveway entry or something similar?

a couple of questions- after seeing the plan, what amount of time would you reasonably expect this development to get to the stage where the lots are titled and ready for sale?Approval could take as 3 months(unlikely) and 12 months (also unlikely). present environment should be on the quicker side as not only less approvals but less staff turnover (when development is booming all good town planners get poached) But the main road intersection means that council refers it off to state for approval and conditioning of that intersection, that can take time. you have got some civil engineering design to have done, plus possible hydrological engineer due to waterway and plumbing design. All before you start construction. That is quite a number of professionals and trades that need to be coordinated, often in order. Any delays can snowball. So allow time

Also that "intersection with a main road" fee is 10 times what most the other council fees are, does this include some civil works, ie widening the driveway entry or something similar?
It is because it triggers a referral off to the state mainroads. They will need to condition the approval and specify design requirements. Civil works, no such luck

It is because it triggers a referral off to the state mainroads. They will need to condition the approval and specify design requirements. Civil works, no such luck

Thanks RPI, with the overlays on the property, and these referral triggers, would the remnant vegetation & koala habitat also trigger referral to DERM?
In this case, should I factor in a five figure cheque for DERM for each of these referrals too?

Easiest is to do as part of your development approval, then you won't have to deal direct with DERM, council will impose conditions relevant to vegetation.

Easiest is to do as part of your development approval, then you won't have to deal direct with DERM, council will impose conditions relevant to vegetation.

Thanks- amiaow has very kindly offered to check the status of the remnant vegetation for me, so i will look more into what is there.
The Derm and council websites go on about sustainability of vegetation etc but when aldi wanted to build a $14m distribution centre 1km up the road, they levelled all the remnant AND protected vegetation, gave the koalas a one way bus pass up state and rolled in.

Maybe for council its about finding the balance between sustainability and having enough $$ to look the other way?

Back