increasing yield

it's only on 320sqm of land - after the house and carport, the courtyard is in the front setback - not much left for a granny flat.

you can ask for a dual-key setup. it generally requires planning consent but it's no different to student accom up to 6 beds.

Thanks - will ask you more q's next time I see you. :)

Increase Rent

Renting by the room, or allowing pets may be the best solution.

Are you kidding. Perk after perk after perk,Competitive wages to the civilian world.GFC ? What GFC. And then when all that training must be used and they go to war. They get bucket loads of cash on top of their wage. Where do i sign.

Truth is if you are in a field that also can be done in the forces. Then join up i say.My little brother is earning more after 6 months in the airforce than my wife is currently earning after 10 years in the civilian world.
I love my job but if i had my time again i would be in like a flash.

You can sign up at your nearest recruiting office. If you are under 50 and medically ok, then we'll take you.

No? Not interested in those perks?

Yes, the pay is good, and there are some good perks, but I move every 6 months to two years, its hard to put down roots, spouses can't find long term employment, many bases are in remote places (Darwin, Tindal, Townsville etc), kids education suffers from moving between different education systems, when we go out bush its 18 hour days with broken sleep for weeks and months on end, required to maintain a level of physical fitness, subject to a discipline system that many civilians wouldn't tolerate, in some places treated like second class citizens.

And thats before we talk about the concept of 'unlimited liability' which means that our service includes a comittement to offering up everything up to and including our lives in the defence of the country and its interests.

So when I know people who have lost limbs and are on a pretty basic pension, whilst a parliamentarian can fall of a pushbike and get a far higher compensation package.

I don't expect sympathy for all of the above. But while our packages look good, I know that civilians with my skill sets and responsibilities are on about 20% greater than I am.

What tends to happen is that junior defence personnel are paid well above their peers, as you move up the ranks the equivilence drops off, until at mid-ranked level you are earning a bit less than civilian peers (but possibly with some more flexibility in some conditions)

By the time you reach upper ranks (either soldier or officer), you are probably on a lower overall salary package than your civilian equivilent.

Murphy

You can sign up at your nearest recruiting office. If you are under 50 and medically ok, then we'll take you.

No? Not interested in those perks?

Yes, the pay is good, and there are some good perks, but I move every 6 months to two years, its hard to put down roots, spouses can't find long term employment, many bases are in remote places (Darwin, Tindal, Townsville etc), kids education suffers from moving between different education systems, when we go out bush its 18 hour days with broken sleep for weeks and months on end, required to maintain a level of physical fitness, subject to a discipline system that many civilians wouldn't tolerate, in some places treated like second class citizens.

And thats before we talk about the concept of 'unlimited liability' which means that our service includes a comittement to offering up everything up to and including our lives in the defence of the country and its interests.

So when I know people who have lost limbs and are on a pretty basic pension, whilst a parliamentarian can fall of a pushbike and get a far higher compensation package.

I don't expect sympathy for all of the above. But while our packages look good, I know that civilians with my skill sets and responsibilities are on about 20% greater than I am.

What tends to happen is that junior defence personnel are paid well above their peers, as you move up the ranks the equivilence drops off, until at mid-ranked level you are earning a bit less than civilian peers (but possibly with some more flexibility in some conditions)

By the time you reach upper ranks (either soldier or officer), you are probably on a lower overall salary package than your civilian equivilent.

Murphy

Yeah. Good points. I come from a forces family and i work with all three forces both current and retired. I see both sides of the fence and while many years ago Defence personell where paid and treated like sub humans. Those days have well and truely changed. Much of my workforce are retired and they fully admit that in general the pay and conditions are better in.I understand there are risks for frontline forces but unfortunately i also see the flip side which is massive wastes of human resources and funding. I remember the catch cry for Ansett was "come stand under the money tree". Things were that good ....until they went bust. Well defence will not go bust so. The two major reasons i hear for people getting out is the constant moving as you say and people/political friction within there work. It is never the job itself.
I stick by what i said. Its a very good career if you can handle being told what to do and you can handle the moving.In general for many trades the conditions in are far better than out.
As for me. To advanced in my own career to start again.

Furnish it and set up as a holiday let. Will also increase depreciation (& cash flow) if you do.
Good point. I am considering building a couple of furnished apartments behind my existing cbd pad thinking that furnished would raise rent from about $180 each to $250 each.
Just found out executive apartments 100 meters away get $660 per week furnished :eek:

Good point. I am considering building a couple of furnished apartments behind my existing cbd pad thinking that furnished would raise rent from about $180 each to $250 each.
Just found out executive apartments 100 meters away get $660 per week furnished :eek:

Yes higher rental yield but also more in the way of depreciation. Depreciation of the furniture, fittings & fixtures.......and also a higher buildings depreciation allowance. Not 2.5% for 40 years but 4% for 25 years. :)

It all improves your cash flow bottom line :D

Yes higher rental yield but also more in the way of depreciation. Depreciation of the furniture, fittings & fixtures.......and also a higher buildings depreciation allowance. Not 2.5% for 40 years but 4% for 25 years. :)

Really. I didn't realize depreciation on fittings and building changed also........interesting. Cmon rezoning. Can't wait.

Really. I didn't realize depreciation on fittings and building changed also........interesting. Cmon rezoning. Can't wait.

More fittings depreciation to depreciate brought about from the extra furnishings involved. The rates dont change on them, but it does change on the buildings.

Aaron

Can you give us some rough figures, as you say it is in a good area if it is neg geared and losing him $500pm but has gone up in value $3000pm then he may have increased equity to use.

That is what makes this site so useful and so varied on the answers, we all want a property that increases in value and is POS geared to the max, but you will find some people target pos geared properties while others will accept a loss on a week by week basis in leiu of the properties value will go up more than another area

Its good to have all the additionals on a house but just adding things does not always increase rent, in some cases you end up over capitilising the property.
Jezza

equity hasn't moved since purchase.

neg geared immensely - $900pcm.

property is capitalised perfectly for the neighbourhood - not one dollar spent more than was necessary.

everyone needs to read the rules on the 4% allowance

equity hasn't moved since purchase.

neg geared immensely - $900pcm.

property is capitalised perfectly for the neighbourhood - not one dollar spent more than was necessary.

i didnt realise you already owned this? dam. sometimes you have to accept the yield is maxxed out... if it walks like a dog and barks like a dog.... I have similar problems with some of my properties. I dont think furnishing them would really help either

Not wanting to hijack this thread but i am also deciding how to go about value adding my underperformer. Possibilities below.

1# Current set up
2 bed cbd house 540sqm Total $309,000 rent $265 pw rent or 4.4 %yield :mad:

2#Basic 2 bed extention Total $349,000 rent $350 pw or 5.2 % yield

3#Add 1 bedder and 2 bedder
In back of block Total $539,000 rent $730 or 7% yield

Dont flame me for buying a dud. I bought it before i knew better( young).Long term CG should do very well due its central location and this is why i bought.Potential rezoning will allow high density development like option 3 but option 3 requires big cash injection that could be used to purchase other properties instead.
Option 2 looks like the best value add but i keep jumping around. Options options.:confused:

Yes, it is not for long term residential let.

last time I looked at this... I thought you could just let a property as short term accommodation and claim 4%, however some research showed this wasn't the case. the 4% only applies to places like tourist resorts

Back