Indian cooking smells

Hi everyone,

Our property has just been rented out to an Indian family.

We are quite relieved because the property had remained vacant for 2 months.

The problem is the strong cooking smells from the herbs and spices used in Indian food.

I have been in houses before that have this strong smell and is very off putting.

Will these smells go away when they vacate.
Or should we not renew their lease when time comes
Or are good tennants worth their weight in gold.

Our PM also has concerns about this but times are tough.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mrs Bird

G'day Mrs Bird,

This link might provide some clues, even though the initial question doesn't directly relate.......
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=55951#post55951 Vinegar sounds like the go (wash down walls, ceilings, etc. when they leave perhaps???

You mentioned "property" - is this a standalone house, or a unit? The reason I ask is that I have friends living in a unit, where the smells (of Indian cooking) actually pervade the common area (hallway, stairs) of the block. This could have you lose OTHER tenants.....

If a house, it is far less likely to be an issue.

Regards,

Put in a ducted range hood canopy ($600) or a cheaper filterd one ($150) if the cash is tight and dont forget to invite yourself to dinner. I loooove authentic Indian food.:)

Mrs Bird, I would be more worried perhaps on whether your tenants are burning candles & incense in the ip as is sometimes the custom. Make certain you have smoke alarms installed.

I had the same problem after renting to Vietnamese. My flat has no carpet or curtains for the smell to 'stick' to - parquetry floors and vertical blinds, yet the place stunk!! Even after washing down everything with a bleach solution and leaving all windows open for a couple of sunny days didn't help.

Luckily didn't turn the next tenant off, and it just naturally faded away shortly after him moving in and replacing it with his smells I suppose.

The house next door to me was rented to Vietnamese before it was demolished. Me and some of the family went in to see if there was anything worth salvaging (french doors etc) and the kitchen cupboards had a 1" thick layer of oil/fat/grease or whatever laying on top of them even though there was adequate ventilation (it was an old house and the kitchen window was stuck permanently open.) Even after the house was demolished and all rubble removed the smell lingered for a month or so!!!

So be careful of this one too!!

Cheers
Olly

Is this a big problem for asian cooking ? my tenants are asian. I note also the local 7-11 shop is run by Indians and it stinks of indian food. I mean talk about re-inventing the franchise. I know Indian cooking seems real bad with after odours.

I'm with Saibaba.

Perhaps in the interests of helping them integrate into Aussie society you could ask them only cook chops and veggies, with the occasional soup or sheppards pie, or roasts asthese things leave absolutely no smell in a house at all.

Also have you been into an old persons house? That had that 'old person smell' about it? Better not let anyone who uses a coffee percolator in the house either, they make really strong smells.

And have you ever stepped into a teenage boys room .....

Seriously though, a tenant can generally cook (or do) whatever they want when ever they want so long as they dont damage your property, offend neighbours or break the law. If you are really concerned then the rangehood ideas from Brains may work.

When a tenant leaves they must give you back the property in the state they got it, any extra cleaning must surely come out of the bond. Or would cooking smells be classified as normal wear and tear?

TheBacon
Mmmmm Biriani !!!

Bad smells are good for buyers :)

If an otherwise good property smells bad you can knock a fair bit off the price.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Indian cooking smells can annoy me too.

It's terrible to have to do work in a property, and to have to do work inside the house- and to have to do work with all those smells around...

and then not being offered any!

Originally posted by geoffw

It's terrible to have to do work in a property, and to have to do work inside the house- and to have to do work with all those smells around...

thats exactly my thoughts Geoff !!!

Originally posted by geoffw

One time when I was hanging aroudn with a building inspector for a week (very usful thing to do, you see lots of houses and have their faults pointed out). We walked in close to lunch, there was an arabic women cooking something wonderful for her kids. I complmented her cooking, it smelt so good. So when it was done, she handed me a serve!

It was great, but I had to bolt it down, she hadn't offered any to the building inspector and he was waiting in the car!

Jas

Hi everyone,
Thank you for all replies and point of views.

First of all we have meet our tennants today and are a lovely family. We are fixing a few things up for them so they will hopefully rent our IP for a few years.

Next... I would like to apologise to some forum members about this thread. It was NEVER intended to offend people but it has...I'm sorry :)

I feel that my original question has been taken out of context and it was never my intention to upset people and I hope this will be the last post on this subject.

Goodbye to everyone, I will be taking a backseat and enjoying this wonderful forum as an observer.

Mrs Bird

Mrs Bird,

Please don't take a backseat. I for one welcome your further contributions and questions.

It can be a little disheartening when you feel you have been taken out of context on this forum - I know as I have been on both ends of that stick!

But please don't feel unwelcome!

See you again soon I hope.

How about the smell of goanna, kangaroo & a variety of other native game being cooked in your kitchen by some of our original Australian friends.
We attempted to get rid of the smell... dumped the stove & fridge (still smelly) .. pulled out the cupboards .. to no avail ... stripped the floor coverings (multiple layers of course) .. then finally hired a sand blaster & air compressor & blasted every square inch of paint off the walls & ceiling .... & got rid of the smell!!

Back