Innovative Dwelling Designs

Attached is some interesting info for the developers. These have nothing to do with me and you would struggle getting them through in a lot of areas. But with a real push to affordable housing happening in SEQ and other areas there is some great info here.

1. An innovative housing design brochure

Some great examples of dwelling sizes for different lot sizes. It does have some builder's houses in it but it is by no means an ad for those builders.

This was developed by a section of our State Gov, but don't hold that against it, it has some great info in here for looking at small lot designs, terrace housing etc.

2. Lot Choices
Again from same section of gov
This is just a brochure on lot sizes to suit different housing types. A

Attachments

• housing-innovations.pdf
    11.8 MB · Views: 149
  • ulda-lot-choices-updated.pdf
    176.8 KB · Views: 124
great initiative, however, requires a legal, state planning framework that allows for no minimum lot sizes and a local planning strategy that provides for those kind of setback concessions / open space.

where there is a will, there is a way, though. bring it on nationally.

It is possible in QLD if you are doing a new estate. These were done in Urban Land Development Authority estates.

Morteon bay Council has allowed 70m2 lots.

SEQ Council of Mayors has a next generation urban planning framework that the attachments above are in line with.

I am doing a small estate at present and am looking at some of these innovative designs. If I didn't have a big commercial site in the middle I might incorporate more. Will probably do some of the laneway models and and see how it goes OTP. Trying to tie in the laneway thing adjoining the shops with a flexible space that can either be a 2 bed unit or an office.
Probably 3 months away from finalising designs yet so a while till I can give feedback.

that's certainly very proactive and will help affordability no-end, however bracket creep will end up meaning that 500sqm lots will either be

a) insanely expensive or
b) undervalued.

min lot size in WA is 160sqm - however, there have been some as low as 143sqm in Northbridge which is well outside the accepted 5% variation. It may be an MRA thing, not sure.

Thanks for sharing
I live in a terrace home, and luv it, similar to the examples in the attachment. 235sqm block 7.5m frontage with rear lane double garage. 3x2 home.

Obviously they only hav courtyards so parks nearby impt.

My criticism is lack of parking with all varieties of these smaller places. Streets need indented carspaces. This is worst for villas where u could have 6 households conpeting for street or verge space.

Thks again

Thanks for sharing
I live in a terrace home, and luv it, similar to the examples in the attachment. 235sqm block 7.5m frontage with rear lane double garage. 3x2 home.

Obviously they only hav courtyards so parks nearby impt.

My criticism is lack of parking with all varieties of these smaller places. Streets need indented carspaces. This is worst for villas where u could have 6 households conpeting for street or verge space.

Thks again

Thx for the feedback

regards

Back