Innovative reno ideas!

I just love little innovative ideas that people come up with....so just had to start a thread and get some ideas from others as well. Here's a pic of a really neat way to use stairs for extra storage.

Attachments

• step drawers.jpg
    step drawers.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 107
Hi Sailor, I saw that staircase featured on a Sarah Beeny show recently. The family kept shoes in the drawers! First thing I thought of was kids leaving the dawers open and the shoes all over the stairs! :eek:
No seriously, I think it's a great space saving idea for anything but shoes.

Another space saver idea was to build shallow cupboards or even install shelves between the stud frames in the walls.

Agreed Tizzy. I think the Japanese had a better idea under this concept:

Attachments

• step cabinet.jpg
    step cabinet.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 94
You could turn this into an innovative storage ideas thread instead.

Myself, I have a big house so there is no problem with space but the house always looks a little vertically lopsided as my ceilings are so high and the tallest furniture I own barely comes halfway up the walls. So, we've taken to hanging things from the ceiling at every opportunity, which has the added bonus of keeping your stuff dry when it floods (which it does every couple of decades), and it keeps the baby out of stuff too.

After I've painted the lounge a more exciting shade of beige than it is now, I want to put in a fully suspended full-wall bookshelf. High rating galvanised chains for the verticals, hardwood planks for shelves, right up against the wall so the books can't fall off the back of the shelves. Still working out the engineering details, as Murphy will dictate that the ceiling joists aren't in quite the right spots, or will be too thick to get an eyebolt through, and the non-verticalness of the wall will be in the wrong direction. But damn it would look cool :cool:

My daughter rented a house and one day accidentally kicked a section of the vertical board between the floor and the bottom of the kitchen cupboards. A drawer sprung out. Apparently it was installed as a security hidey-hole and was opened by kicking (gently) on it.

I thought it was a good idea.
Marg

First thing I thought of was kids leaving the dawers open and the shoes all over the stairs! :eek:

My first thought was someone leaving the drawers open while you come down the stairs in the middle of the night (half asleep) in the dark..... :eek:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back