Install of Aircons

There is more to pricing a job then materials and labor.

You have to allow for all the extras with running a business and replacing items along the way,Insurance, licenses, paper work time, training, replacement of tools and cars, work phones, super, income protection, lost time by employees.

The reason why a lot of trades people struggle financially and business go bust is because these things aren't factored into the job.

Electricians and plumbers are licensed, we don't just get our trades after 4 years we have test and competencies to pass. By doing this work yourself its a danger to not just you.

Its the people who have to work after you that are in trouble. its not just joining wires or connecting pipes there is theory behind why you do it and how.

The bare minimum a sparky in Melbourne should be charging is 76ph

You need to make at least $1000 per day. After our work is done it doesn't stop there. We have paper work and quoting and getting materials which take hours and aren't done for free. we might only work 8 hours on the tools but there is another 5 hours after that that we cant charge for.

Dave
$1000 a day x 5 day week x 40 weeks a year ( rest and recreation /sick days) = $200,000/year.
I think that is a tad too much but what do those who run a business say, unlike myself.
Cant type any more as my eyes have bulged out of my head

$1000 a day x 5 day week x 40 weeks a year ( rest and recreation /sick days) = $200,000/year.
I think that is a tad too much but what do those who run a business say, unlike myself.Cant type any more as my eyes have bulged out of my head

It is very hard to earn a $1000 per day x 5 days a week x 40 weeks a year considering that the trade is a seasonal one where work picks up in summer and drops off to next to nothing in the winter and you have to rely on maintenance contracts to pay the bills.

Cant type any more as my eyes have bulged out of my head

Maybe you should rest up before posting a silly statement as the one above. It is clear that you have never ran your own business and in my opinion, you should stick to being a wage earner where you don't have to think or worry where the money is coming from as you clearly don't have a clue when it comes to running any business.

Regards

Regrow

It is very hard to earn a $1000 per day x 5 days a week x 40 weeks a year considering that the trade is a seasonal one where work picks up in summer and drops off to next to nothing in the winter and you have to rely on maintenance contracts to pay the bills.

Maybe you should rest up before posting a silly statement as the one above. It is clear that you have never ran your own business and in my opinion, you should stick to being a wage earner where you don't have to think or worry where the money is coming from as you clearly don't have a clue when it comes to running any business.

Regards

Regrow

I have never run my own business but for the high hourly rate charge, I wonder how many customers went elsewhere.At a lower rate perhaps one would have less lost time or dead time particularly if there are seasonal variations.
My comment about eyes was meant to indicate my strong surprise which isnt easy as I am not professional writer. It was not meant to offend.
I do admire those running their own business.With 50 % failing in a few years pricing the market must be difficult.

Drs lawyers etc charge not for the information they give , but for the skills/information they have acquired.

I have never run my own business but for the high hourly rate charge, I wonder how many customers went elsewhere.At a lower rate perhaps one would have less lost time or dead time particularly if there are seasonal variations.

People don't want A/C installed in winter, they wait till its stinking hot in summer then buy it. That's why it is seasonal and if the customers go elsewhere they get what they pay for.

Drs lawyers etc charge not for the information they give , but for the skills/information they have acquired.

Likewise in all skilled trades. I have given technical advise regarding A/C as it was something simple they could check / fix and not waste time in going to the job as it was not worth my time or nor could I justify giving the person a large invoice for something they could do to get it running again.

Regards

Regrow

Likewise in all skilled trades. I have given technical advise regarding A/C as it was something simple they could check / fix and not waste time in going to the job as it was not worth my time or nor could I justify giving the person a large invoice for something they could do to get it running again.

Regards

Regrow

Like-wise for me, installing GPO's, Downlights, and bathroom fans, are not money makers. I do install all of the above to help people out, but my serious money comes from PLC's, C-Bus Home automation, Data Cabling, and AC Motor Drives. It is easy to make more than $1,000/day doing this type of (Skilled) work when you know what you are doing.

Well all done with my quotes, saved myself almost $200 off most of the quotes that I got.... Still cheaper than the cash jobs some of the tradies offered :rolleyes:

That is spot on. You need a Licensed Electrician to run seperate 16 amp power circuits to each unit.

You also are now required to have a licensed electrician to install the interconnecting wiring between the indoor and outdoor units. Tradies who are still doing this themselves are now breaking the law by doing it and cannot complete the install without a sparkie being onsite to do the wiring. I wonder how the installers would go if the compressor fails and the warranty is void because the unit was not installed by a licensed a/c guy AND electrician:rolleyes:

Regards

Regrow

Back