Interest Free Finance is it possible

NatR,

Sorry, but are you saying to all us here that you know EVERYTHING, new and old about the ins and outs of EVERY single method of finance and funding in the world ???

If So... WOW.... as that is the only way I can see anyone actually believing that what comes out of your posts.....

You need to cool down.... or go post elsewhere.... Frankly your spiteful posts are tiring......

Lets all wait for ASIC to advise it's findings..... unless you work for ASIC and already know what they are going to say ???

Sorry I had to do that to take my focus off the other stuff that is posted that people seem to think verifies that interest free loans are viable.

Why doesn't somebody knock up a quick spreadsheet showing how the cashflows work and I will share my spreadshhet that shows it doesn't work.

I'm hesitant to put mine up first as all I will get is flak and comments how somebody's brother's next door neighbour's cleaner knows somebody who knows somebody who said it works ......so therefore my comments are wrong.

I'm worried that when it comes to debating based on ignorance, hersay and gullibility I will be beaten by those that are more experienced than me.

Natr,

There is room for healthy discussion here, but lets all wait and see how this pans out..... anything else in the meantime is a waste of time.....

Interest free loans are obviously possible... .but as a business to make a profit.... I have no idea.........

But let's all give it a chance with ASIC to seperate the smoke / mirrors from the facts......

nat r said:
My cat's breath smells like cat food > relevant than 98% of what is posted in this thread.
My old boss used to remind me, just before client gatherings, "There's nothing that will kill a conversation faster than someone who knows what they're talking about".

Nat_R, I've read the D thread from day one and your early contributions were fantastic, eye-opening stuff. However, it all comes down to IF they were doing it the way you described, then they would lose money. I'm sure if they saw your arguments and it matched exactly how they were going to do it, they would stop. "Bugga!". But people don't normally plan to lose money. It seems Mr. TC and co. think they've found a way to beat the very issues you bring up. They're going to try and some people are willing to hope they actually make it. :cool::cool:

Some consumers are going to stay away, but not everyone is going to swayed by your arguments.

As far as your cat is concerned...

Stop pouting and being such a sook!! :mad::mad: Come up with new facts that lend a new perspective to your arguments. A declaration of interest would be a good start. Personally, if you worked for "which bank", I'd be inclined to only raise an eyebrow. If you worked for "the millionaire factory", then I might sit up and notice. Other people may react differently. The decision is yours.

But realize you're not going to convince everyone and enjoy the ride.

Jireh

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Nat on this occasion. You have ONE (Nat R) who says she can provide calculations to support her argument that the model WILL NOT work, and many others (no doubt equally as qualified) arguing that they can prove the model WILL work.

So now what??? Is it a dare to see "who goes first" in this "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" exercise??? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but have I stepped into Romper Room??? :confused:

IMO if no one is prepared to put up figures to support their case, then perhaps the next best thing would be to simply "agree to disagree" and sit back and wait until ASIC has made their findings public.

Personally, I couldn't care less about their new office space, if it overlooks the Harbour or the bars of a prison cell; if they have a fish tank with one solitary fish or a wall-to-wall aquarium in their reception area, and especially if Trevor has an office exclusively to himself or if he sits around a campfire with the rest of his merry men!!! :p

Why not just WAIT....ASIC will hand down their verdict in due course. :D

Jo

Quote from Freeatlast "Interest free loans are obviously possible"

why/where and how do you get to that conclusion??

This is what I'm on about...all these comments that are fired from the hip are assumed to be gospel...whilst my attempts to show how the logic is flawed get shot down in flames.

Nat ... time to calm down a bit and take some time out I think.

Freeatlast said that interest free loans are obviously possible if you don't intend to make any profit from providing them. Don't go getting upset about stuff if you can't read it objectively.

Sim/Freeatlast...please accept my apologies...I never contemplated a business model where somebody would lend and not look to make a profit. I will point out that the lender would actually lose money as their cost of funds would have to be factored in.

Nat,

You jumped the gun a little bit there.....

Re-read what I said.....

If I have say 50k and I lend it to you... without strings... that IS an interest free loan.....

BUT, as I said... doing it as a business to make a profit.... I am in the dark, and, said as much.....

Chill out a bit.....

Cheers

Freeatlast said:
If I have say 50k and I lend it to you... without strings... that IS an interest free loan.....
Yes I guess so Freeatlast,

But IMO it is more an act of kindness, often extended by a friend or relative as a token gesture of good will and/or friendship. ;)

Cheers,

Jo

JO,

sure, it's all semantics, but the point is still that Interest free lending DOES occur......

That is my point.....

As I've said several times here... lets wait for the due diligence by the authorities......

I've done some calculations using my financial calculator. Based on 2083 a month (500,000 total in 20 years), @ 6% Annual percentage rate, this has a Net Present Value of $292,200. Maybe they want more than 6% which would reduce the Net Present Value. Anyhow, I can see how Derivex get a figure in the vicinity of $200,000.

Based on Trevor Cohens figures that this sum would result in a cash figure of $200,000. Assuming this would earn interest at 6% per annum in a CMT paid monthly and the $200,000 would be paid at the end of 20 years, on a zero per cent annual percentage rate this would have a Net Present Value of $440,000.00

Trevor suggests someone will lend $450,000 based on $200,000 and its earnings. And that in the 3rd phase someone will lend $950,000 for the income stream on the $450,000

I'm happy to assume Trevor Cohen hasn't disclosed his exact figures so people won't duplicate them or possibly identify his sources of finance.

However, if there are up to 3 separate fundraisings to get to the position where the loan is available there seems to be a situation where the first lenders/investors want a return on their money and the second and third want a return of capital only without any premium for risk (eg foreign exchange risk) or duration risk.

So I suppose in my naivety I'm wondering why they don't just deal with the lenders of the second and third tranches. Of course if the $1.6 million bonds are part of one transaction where the investor is getting guaranteed the return of his funds, with the possibility of greater gains on a small part, that might be understandable after all there are investments available like that for retail investors.

I will be very pleased when Derivex get the OK from ASIC and I use a computer or drive a car without needing to know how they work.

I'm exposing my workings in the knowledge that they may indicate I don't know how to use a financial calculator or I have misunderstood something in Derivex's posting on the earlier thread which I have copied on here to save people having to look it up:

"To explain in traditional terms ...

We secure the principal repayments and conduit payment initially in local CMT deposits earning risk free rate equivalent to 90 day BBSW - we do not invest in 90 day BB's this is detailed only as an equivalence measure - we securitise
the income stream earned from the CMT deposit account only.

EG $500,000 loan over 20 years.

The repayments on hand increase from $ 25,000 conduit + $2083 per month over 20 years on an accrual basis so the maximum capital that can be gained from this step is approx $200,000 dependant on loan term and floating rate earned in CMT account after discount value is applied.

Step 1 injects new capital at cost only of the securitised CMT receivable.

Our funding deed precludes us from onlending funds, or accessing core capital repayments they remain secured on deposit.

Step 2 the capital raising from step 1 is placed on deposit in same way but this time lump sum $200,000 is secured in CMT and the process is repeated.

The capital base of $200,000 remains on deposit securing CMT income generation and will provide capital raising of approx $450,000

Step 3 is repeat of process above generating $950,000 - $500,000 allocated for property settlement and balance of $450,000 deposited as cash reserve in CMT account. The earnings on the cash reserve are our profits.

Total raising $1,600,000

Core capital - Conduit and principal repayments in CMT to secure earnings

Funds allocation - $200,000 in CMT to secure CMT earnings
- $450,000 in CMT to secure CMT earnings

Last $950,000 capital raising pass

- $500,000 to settle property
- $450,000 in CMT to secure CMT earnings that form our
residual profit source

Total of $1.1 million sitting secured in CMT

The step process explanation is used only to explain how it is possible to step an accruing sum to get a desired capital raising target. The loan is secured with a standard mortgage and the indiviual holds title subject to that charge. We do not securitise on an MBS or ABS basis BUT ONLY against CMT earnings the property cannot be lollateralised within the terms of our funding deeds.

We utilise proprietary software that will take into account current CMT earn rate on a floating basis and projects the same result ie need factor of 3.2 times the sum needed for property loan of $500,000. Hence need to issue $1,600,000 of residiual income bonds to achieve.

The bond issues are done over the top of a pool of loan obligations not an individual basis.

Perhaps stop here and discuss to this stage ..... ????'s"

Hmmm..... still trying to find out if, when ASIC have carried out their investigation, they have the authourity to shut D****** down or do they just warn consumers about this company.

All this is obviously only applicable if ASIC think something is wrong (still hoping it comes up trumps).

Regards
Marty

ASIC brief conversation

Well, I just called ASIC. And they stated that there would be no more public comment until the investigations have been completed.

The person whom I spoke to couldn't give me an indication of timing nor anyone else that I could talk to to discuss the issue further.

Quote: "We do not securitise on an MBS or ABS basis BUT ONLY against CMT earnings the property cannot be lollateralised within the terms of our funding deeds."

Herein lies a big problem....a CMT will return about 5% (5.25% max)...you then securitise this and sell the bonds. The lowest yield on a securitised bond in Aust is about 5.60%.

Therefore you are borrowing at 5.60% to put the money into a CMT earning 5%......there is 0.60% missing from this equation....apart from the obvious problem of running at a loss the ratings agency would not rate a securitisation that works in this manner and without a quality rating the required yield on the bonds would be a lot higher...furthering the problem.

If they were able to find borrowers that were happy to buy the bonds at a yield below 5% why wouldn't these borrowers just put thier money directly into the CMT to start with???

Nat,

You must be really pulling your hair out in frustration.

Why don't you contact Trevor Cohen yourself and get him to explain it? Straight from the horses mouth if you like?

I don't have the authority to do so, nor I suspect, the ability to answer your technical questions.

All the best to you,

Nat_r,

Doesn't the model depend on the rate the lenders/bondholder of a particular tier expect? If the first bondholder tier money is in a CMT at...oh...5.47% and the insto bondholders only expect ...oh...say 3.65%, then it could work, right? Assuming the cost of running the business can be taken care of by the additional spread.

Since the mention of "pairs spread" may imply cross-currency transactions. If they were trying to do sell the MBS overseas in lower interest rate environments, they might find institutions that accept a lower rate. So long as there is a "return of capital", it's okay. I can see it all falling over if the interest rate of the "other country" rises higher than here.

Jireh

Back