Interest Rate

Are the interest rates likely to keep rising and if so for how long do you predict? I'm wondering whether it is a good idea to fix the interest rates on the mortgage

Are the interest rates likely to keep rising and if so for how long do you predict? I'm wondering whether it is a good idea to fix the interest rates on the mortgage
OK, I'll bight:

Nope, peaked and likely to start falling by H1 2009 when growth slows in the Aus economy, potentially to the point of recession.

Well, you didn't say I had to qualify my response! :D

OK, here's a little qualification anyway:

http://business.smh.com.au/consumer-sentiment-falls-to-15year-low/20080409-24s0.html

That SMH article said:
Mr Evans expected the RBA to keep interest rates on hold when it meets on May 6.

''We expect interest rates will remain around these current highs for some time until the Reserve Bank becomes convinced that inflation is back under control,'' Mr Evans said.

''Recent statements from the Reserve Bank governor make it quite clear that he expects that the current level of interest rates is appropriate for the time being.

''A significant slowdown will be required to give the bank sufficient comfort that interest rates do not need to rise any further in this cycle.''

Cheers,
Michael

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23508351-5016110,00.html
Rates will go down according to this

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23508351-5016110,00.html
Rates will go up according to this

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23466452-5016110,00.html
Rates will go up according to some
Rates will go down according to some

Roll a dice
even go for article number 1
Odd go for article number 2
And if its odd or even go for article number 3....

Or you could just roll a dice and predict if its going to go up or down ;)

I've just fixed mine for 2 years at 8.89.
I hope and think they will go down from here....but I'm no expert and even they can't agree.

Bailz66,

Those first two links are the same and both pointing to rates at 6%! That seals it, rates are definately coming down!! :D

Cheers,
Michael

PS all of my loans are still variable and currently at 8.5% after my 80bp discount on the WBC pro pack. I can't see rates going up more than half a percent from here so fixing seems counter-productive. If they do break through 9% then it will cripple the economy. These days I think a wait and see approach on rate fixing is prudent. Things look to have slowed sufficiently for the RBA to sit on its hands for a while at current levels. 2009 should see some easing with a bit of luck.

BIS Shrapnel predicts there will be a further 0.5% increase before it comes down in 2009. They are probably the most expert opinion on this and fairly much spot on in their last few years of predictions. Even then its as accurate as flipping a coin and picking heads instead of tails

i think the historic average for the cashrate is around 5.75%, so currently at 7.25% it is supposed to be on the high side

for me, i fixed nearly all my loans with fairly big gap in their reset dates, essentially going for the average rate in the long run

BIS Shrapnel... ...are probably the most expert opinion on this and fairly much spot on in their last few years of predictions.

Actually the lack of accuracy of their interest rate forecasts is legendary and well known to many long term members here (link to a 2005 thread that discusses this).

M

PS all of my loans are still variable and currently at 8.5% after my 80bp discount on the WBC pro pack. I can't see rates going up more than half a percent from here so fixing seems counter-productive. .

Mine were too and this has been my thinking for 6/9 mths. In hindsight I wished I fixed back then so decided to bite the bullet now and hedge my bets ......rather than have more hindsight down the track at 9.5% :D

Add....I got in before the last rise. My banker (ANZ) tells me it is only a $300 penalty to convert back to variable AND I can pay up to $5,000 extra a year .. ... a surprise to me!

I'm not sure I trust the banks anymore, doing their own thing and rasing rates at will .. does it matter what the RBA says?

I'm not sure I trust the banks anymore, doing their own thing and rasing rates at will .. does it matter what the RBA says?

So when the banks cut rates below the 'standard variable rate' via professional packages and so on, did you think that something smelled wrong?
Alex

Actually the lack of accuracy of their interest rate forecasts is legendary and well known to many long term members here (link to a 2005 thread that discusses this).

M

I guess I haven't been following this long enough :D I've only started following them around 2006 and following their predictions served me well

Lets all say the rates are coming down on here then if enough people are saying it the trend seems to be that it will happen!

Hard to say which way rates will turn, but with a $1 trillion deficit is the USA, I think we'll still see some volatility here.

Have just got unconditional finance on IP06 & fixed for 2 years @ 8.57%. This gives me the SANF!! :D

Back