Interest rates under an Abbott government?

With the Labor government (thanks to Slipper, Thomson and Gillard herself) now almost surely to fall sooner rather than later, how do property investors need to review their game plan?

Rational investors, one would expect, hope for the lowest possible interest rates at all times, most obviously to maximise their own rate of return on investment. Consequently, rational investors generally want governments to deliver budget surpluses whenever possible, as surpluses are the best way to facilitate lower interest rates. (Of course, rational investors will tolerate temporary budget deficits in times of economic emergency provided the deficit spending prevents the economy entering into a recession.)

The question every rational investor needs to start asking now is, will an incoming Abbott government deliver budget surpluses, and hence allow the RBA to set the lowest possible interest rates, or not?

The signs quite frankly are not looking good, so far as I can see.

In contrast to the current Labor government’s declared determination to deliver a budget surplus in 2012-13, about all we really know of the Abbott economic plan is his intention to boost government spending - specifically with more voter-buying, middle class welfare handouts. You all know the sort of thing proposed here: Removal of means testing for government assistance to family benefits of every sort; massive government-sponsored expansion of maternity leave; government-funded increases to super without any mining tax revenue, etc, etc. Reportedly, all these spending promises have key people in the Liberal party room – Robb, Hockey, Turnbull and no doubt many others – seriously disconcerted, explaining Hockey’s recent high-profile intervention from London.

So as rational investors, what do you all think will happen to interest rates under an Abbott government, and most importantly, why?

just like there were people saying that interest rates would go up significantly under the Labor govt, and they were wrong......... I think any predictions about interest rates under Liberal would just be either fear mongering or over optimism
(depending upon which side of the fence the predictions were coming from).

there are so many external factors that can't be predicted.

considering the govt has no control over official cash IRs, this is a moot argument.

govt spending - if they are borrowing - will affect the bottom line, but if the govt would just stand up and print their own money for infrastructure then it is shown time and time again in recent economic modelling that this method is neither inflationary nor likely to affect money supply.

but if the govt would just stand up and print their own money for infrastructure then it is shown time and time again in recent economic modelling that this method is neither inflationary nor likely to affect money supply.

Printing money doesn't affect money supply? Sorry but you lost me on that one Aaron - I would have thought that was the definition of it?

what is good for the economy is good for property investors. Indeed all businesses should be looking forward to an end to this shambles

what is good for the economy is good for property investors. Indeed all businesses should be looking forward to an end to this shambles

Definitely with a change in govt there will also be a change in the upper echelon of the public service as well as departmental changes to reflect the policy priorities of the incoming govt.

Carbon Tax and NBN departments will be pruned and redirected. There will be phased introduction of the child care policy over a number of years to reflect progress on budget surplus. Tougher asylum processing offshore instead of mainland is a given. Immigration dept processes probably are due for review. If the Coalition has learnt anything from their last electoral defeat they will manage the investments on national infrastructure better.

Generally, consumer sentiments will improve under Coalition and tax should reduce also notably with any removal of the Carbon Tax.

Just feeling a bit free at the moment to indulge a bit in navel gazing. :D

With the Labor government (thanks to Slipper, Thomson and Gillard herself) now almost surely to fall sooner rather than later,

Cant see any action from the controlling independents changing the landscape any time soon.

If we go to an election tommorow they are as gone as the gov

ta
rolf

I agree, the economy has really fallen to pieces under the Labor Government. We make Europe and the US look good!

Printing money doesn't affect money supply? Sorry but you lost me on that one Aaron - I would have thought that was the definition of it?

not central banks printing money, but governments and only for infrastructure, (NOT the "day-2-day" running of the country) otherwise we end up with Yugoslavia, Zimbabwe etc.

There will be no material effect on interest rates based on what we believe to be the policy of the alternative government. Both the government and the opposition have mentioned a commitment to a budget surplus. It will be a pi_ _ ing competition, mine is bigger than yours.......etc

The bigger and more fundamental issue will be the efforts to address labor market productivity, broad taxation reform, state & federal business regulations. I suspect that the LNP will be very "small" target prior to the next Federal election, and if they are elected, get some runs on the board before looking at anything more fundamental. I think the experience of Workchoices weighs heavily on the LNP & Abbott.

I agree, the economy has really fallen to pieces under the Labor Government. We make Europe and the US look good!

no surprises - every time labor takes control they drive us into down and it takes a while for the oppostion to come in and fix it up. it's a permanent hand brake on the national development which the country can't seem to break free of.

a change of govt would also (i believe) see an upswing of sentiment - it could be preceived that the gfc, labor and the cosying up to the big banks, the chaos that surrounded the govt, the carbon tax etc is finally appearing in the rear view mirror

What? You serious? Whilst no fan of the current government, there is no credible evidence to suggest we have an economy managed or performing anywhere near as badly as Europe and the US.

What? You serious? Whilst no fan of the current government, there is no credible evidence to suggest we have an economy managed or performing anywhere near as badly as Europe and the US.

you are confusing the economy and it's management. the economy is performing ok'ish DESPITE the govt, not BECAUSE of the govt

Definitely with a change in govt there will also be a change in the upper echelon of the public service as well as departmental changes to reflect the policy priorities of the incoming govt.

Carbon Tax and NBN departments will be pruned and redirected. There will be phased introduction of the child care policy over a number of years to reflect progress on budget surplus. Tougher asylum processing offshore instead of mainland is a given. Immigration dept processes probably are due for review. If the Coalition has learnt anything from their last electoral defeat they will manage the investments on national infrastructure better.

Generally, consumer sentiments will improve under Coalition and tax should reduce also notably with any removal of the Carbon Tax.

Just feeling a bit free at the moment to indulge a bit in navel gazing. :D

Sorry, that's the bit I'm worried about. Do you really expect there to be Abbott-led government surpluses? If not, is your portfolio prepared for an Abbott government's interest rate increases? This is my question.

Sorry, that's the bit I'm worried about. Do you really expect there to be Abbott-led government surpluses? If not, is your portfolio prepared for an Abbott government's interest rate increases? This is my question.

I think there is far more chance of an Abbott government surplus than a Gillard/Swan government surplus.

I was being sarcastic. The level of hyperbole about the Government's management of the economy is rediculous. They aren't the best Government ever but they've hardly been an economic disaster. With all the silly exagerration people are going to be unable to recognise a truly bad Government when we have one.

I was being sarcastic. The level of hyperbole about the Government's management of the economy is rediculous. They aren't the best Government ever but they've hardly been an economic disaster. With all the silly exagerration people are going to be unable to recognise a truly bad Government when we have one.

Okay...and here I thought the current Labour government is like putting children in a candy shop and asking them not to touch anything.

I think there is far more chance of an Abbott government surplus than a Gillard/Swan government surplus.

But we've got half the businesses in Aust screaming out for the Gillard/Swan government to abandon delivering a budget surplus, haven't we Aaron?

It sounds like close to a 100% chance of a Gillard/SWan budget surplus is actually scaring the holy **** out of quite a few people right now.

So, what were you saying exactly: An Abbott government surplus is a more certain chance than a merely nationwide vomit-inducing near-certainty?

Okay . . . why?

Back