Interest rates under an Abbott government?

If he spent so much how come did he have money in the bank at the end of his term.

It's quite simple. Because there was loads of money coming in, due to (mainly) the mining boom and the GST.

An increase in the surplus doesn't automatically mean a cut in spending. It could mean an increase in revenue. And in the mid-2000's, Govt revenues were growing faster than spending increases.

I dont think Abbott will be the leader come the election. Joe is aming up and Turnbull will have a crack as well.

What is it with people and Turnbull :confused:. I think he's history, unless he joins the Labor Party.

I don't see a reshuffle of leadership anytime before an election, or immediately after for that matter.

I think the dark horse, and the one to watch in the future however is Arthur Sinodinos, ex CoS to John Howard.

What is it with people and Turnbull :confused:. I think he's history, unless he joins the Labor Party....

In reality its those people who dont vote LNP who could tolerate or even like Turnbull. Of course if he was leader of the LNP, they still wouldn't vote for him.

Turnbull is a small 'l' Liberal, he wouldnt move party a la Kernot

Agreed. There is a reason why Turnbull was removed. He won't change party despite ALP voters declaring their love for him - his electorate is Wentworth for God's sake! Plus given his personal fortune he does not at all conform to the traditional Union Hack background of the ALP.

Agreed. There is a reason why Turnbull was removed. He won't change party despite ALP voters declaring their love for him - his electorate is Wentworth for God's sake! Plus given his personal fortune he does not at all conform to the traditional Union Hack background of the ALP.

Is there a reason this post itself makes no sense though?

Is there a reason this post itself makes no sense though?

Not sure what you're trying to imply Belbo, but unless you have the reading comprehension of nothing more than 4 year old I think you will understand it. Of course I suspect the reality is another pseudo-intellectual snipe which is ill-conceived.

Well, is the reason he won't change party because of declarations of love or his lack of hack?

My apologies, Buzz.l.y, I didn't get back to you on this thoughtful post -
Here's an IMF blueprint to a $100b surplus - would you vote for it?

So, the following is coming to us from those arch-capitalist IMF neo-imperialist lapdogs of the money-worshipping USA, eh?

Well let's have a look at it then -

The IMF suggests six reforms it estimates could improve federal and state budget bottom lines by 8.9 per cent of GDP, or roughly $138 billion a year. . . . They include:

■Cut the greenhouse gas emissions target to 20 per cent below 1990 levels, driving up emissions permit prices, with no compensation (saving: $65 billion a year).

■Scrap tax breaks for superannuation and owner-occupied housing ($42 billion).

■Extend the GST to food, healthcare and financial services ($9 billion).

■Tighten eligibility for family benefits ($8 billion), and find savings in healthcare ($8 billion) and schools ($6 billion).
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...s-wont-wear-20120413-1wz3a.html#ixzz1svSkKyRF

Love it! All of it!! Would vote for the whole package in full tomorrow if I could!!!

There you go, Mr Abbott. Some useful policies worth implementing that should see Aust economically sound, able to sock away over $100b a year in a sovereign wealth fund even after rebuilding infrastructure for when the mining boom ends, and will see you hailed internationally as a non-idealogue.

No? The IMF are a bunch of commies too, you say? Well, **** me!

I don't think so. Can you give me an eg. Cause I don't agree. We are the only nation that sailed through the GFC totally unscathed.

unscathed? An example of battle damage is the billions thrown at insulation that was subsequently removed and buried - all in the name of trying to stimulate demand. Or the exhorbitant rate of interest that borrowers are paying on funds now... money that instead of going back into the economy is sent offshore to financial tricksters. Or the increasing number of taxes that are desperately being clawed back to pay for past sins. Or the sad state of the economy east of Kalgoorlie (and parts of West). Wholesale destruction of personal wealth. Families in negative equity - pretty much anyone on the gold coast. Allco as a company. The big wigs at Macquarie. Storm investors - not that I know too much about that. Anyone that invested in macquarie structured products. Anyone that has superannuation. The WA govt and now any front line service that is about to have its budget slashed. could go on and on.

unscathed? An example of battle damage is the billions thrown at insulation that was subsequently removed and buried - all in the name of trying to stimulate demand. Or the exhorbitant rate of interest that borrowers are paying on funds now... money that instead of going back into the economy is sent offshore to financial tricksters. Or the increasing number of taxes that are desperately being clawed back to pay for past sins. Or the sad state of the economy east of Kalgoorlie (and parts of West). Wholesale destruction of personal wealth. Families in negative equity - pretty much anyone on the gold coast. Allco as a company. The big wigs at Macquarie. Storm investors - not that I know too much about that. Anyone that invested in macquarie structured products. Anyone that has superannuation. The WA govt and now any front line service that is about to have its budget slashed. could go on and on.

You're wasting your breath Ausprop. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

He'll quote that list, type BS, and then move on to disagreeing, usually by throwing mud at Howard.

When you live in progressive Marrickville, life's just peachy !!!

Why do you feel the need to get personal?

Youve been through your high faulting language stage and then the melodramatic drama queen period, not to mention angry man phase. Is this your next one? Getting personal.

As for ausprops list. It's just the cycles of the economy. Does he expect gold coast property prices to continue rising? Gimme a break.

What's the connection between insulation and being in a so called economic downturn? There is none.

Interest rates? Historically low at this time.

Financial tricksters? Are they always around or just now? And who are they and what do they do?

Wholesale destruction of wealth? What? Where? More than at any other time? I think most people are doing quite well. more than at any other time of our history.

Negative equity? Abused by over borrowing at the wrong time of the market?

Macquarie? Allco? Storm? This stuffs always happening, not just now.

Super? It isn't growing, big deal. Do you expect constant linear growth over a longtime period as per your statement on property? Sorry mate, it just destroy happen like that.

You're wasting your breath Ausprop. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

He'll quote that list, type BS, and then move on to disagreeing, usually by throwing mud at Howard.

Dazz

Looks like you were wrong, he missed Howard this time around:rolleyes:

Well you'd have to admit Dazz that a careful look at that list certainly suggests that some, let us say, unusually abstract connections are being drawn there.

Nonetheless, I can confidently report that life in Cottesloe and Bondi is even peachier than in Marrickville, so you needn't fret that our GFC-traumatised business folk are missing out on that account.

What does have to be answered is can Abbott be trusted to do what's right for interest rates when it turns out he doesn't even know what day of the month RBA Board meetings happen?

On the flip side a lot of people with savings are being penalised by the current low interest rates. Australia is cruising pretty well compared to the rest of the world, savers shouldn't be penalised further to protect the over indebted, or to hold up house prices any longer. Let the bubble deflate and prices fall back to historic means.

As for ausprops list. It's just the cycles of the economy. Does he expect gold coast property prices to continue rising? Gimme a break.

What's the connection between insulation and being in a so called economic downturn? There is none.

Interest rates? Historically low at this time.

Financial tricksters? Are they always around or just now? And who are they and what do they do?

Wholesale destruction of wealth? What? Where? More than at any other time? I think most people are doing quite well. more than at any other time of our history.

Negative equity? Abused by over borrowing at the wrong time of the market?

Macquarie? Allco? Storm? This stuffs always happening, not just now.

Super? It isn't growing, big deal. Do you expect constant linear growth over a longtime period as per your statement on property? Sorry mate, it just destroy happen like that.

Told ya Ausprop - completely wasting your time...:)

Back