Interesting research

Investment consultant Ken Atchison of Atchison Consultants has rated the performance of 12 asset classes over the past 15 years. The results will surprise those who believe that shares always outperform over the long term.

Top of the list was residential property with an average annual return of more than 13 per cent, followed by retail property (12.6 per cent), industrial property (11.3 per cent), fixed interest (10.7 per cent) and listed property (10.1 per cent).

By comparison, the annual return on Australian equities was only 8.4 per cent and on overseas equities just 8.1 per cent.

Mr Atchison acknowledges that the numbers might have been a little different if the study had been done three years ago but not by much.

"Timing is important but not critical," he said. "Fifteen years tends to wash out the short-term ups and downs."

Pinched the above from an article on 19 Feb in the Fin Review by Rob Harley.

The full report and media release is available from www.adpia.com.au

check it out...interesting reading.

and for those interested in shares (that means you Steve :D ) Australian shares were very volatile :) gotta love that squiggly line)

Originally posted by NigelW
and for those interested in shares (that means you Steve :D ) Australian shares were very volatile :) gotta love that squiggly line)

I'm sure Steve loves squiggly lines ! Lots of scope for making money with volatility.

Saw a similar article in yesterday's Sunday Mail. Even had a photo of Jan Somers with the article.

I believe one has to be careful here. This study was commissioned by the Australian Direct Property Investment Association. From memory, I believe the Sunday Mail stated that if one took a 20 year period, shares would have outperformed property!!!

To me, all of this is a bit like an accountant asking "How much tax do you want to pay?"

My 2 cents worth.

KieranK

Hi All
I just love statistics. They are a great way to support an argument for or against anything we can think of.
The facts are much more interesting.
I believe one can make money out of just about anything if one sets their mind to it.
I met a chap who was making a great cashflow from installing and maintaining tourist racks in hotels. outlay 10K return of 100Kpa. He paid someone a small wage to look after the show for him. That is not a bad passive income. I don't think there are any stats on that enterprise but I know he is smiling.
It's just that property investment is as dum as dirt and once the equity machine starts to kick in (with sound strategies in place) it just won't stop.
I have no comlpaints and I'll agree with your stats.
Y :0)

Interesting stuff. Thanks, Nigel. Interesting to note from the downloaded report that average annualised total costs and fees for direct property over the 15 year period is 1% compared to all other asset classes of 0.1-0.2% pa. The rule of thumb for purchasing costs is 5% of purchase price. So the longer the asset is held the impact of costs and fees reduces.

If you look at the return and volatility graph, fixed interest is a much better investment than managed funds and shares. Although, after tax it falls behind shares but outperforms office property.

The report also said that data was only available from Dec 1984 which surprised me. It seems no data was used from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Direct property measures were based on the Property Council of Australia indices.

Regards, Mike

The timing of the report was interesting.

Starts just before a major share market crash and finishes just after one.

Cant trust stats at all really :)

There is a parallel between Warren Buffett's approach and how property investors win out. And that is the approach to tax. Capital gains tax is optional. If you dont sell you dont pay it. Buffett has said this is like getting an "interest free loan from the government". It is central to his approach, so its probably important.

If times get tough dont be shocked if the government considers taxing unrealised capital gains. It has been suggested by some economists.

But the dirty secret of shares and property is that there are next to no capital gains, outside of inflation. Much of capital gains are caused by inflation which is caused by currency debasement. The buy and hold approach to property has been a good defence against CGT and inflation. So when property does extra well people are front-running the Reserve Bank and debasing the currency by credit expansion. The dollar is a variable unit of measurement across time and space. The dollars being used to measure property are at the same time smaller than the ones in the rest of the economy. No wonder people are screaming about their rate bills going up. They are being cheated but they cant figure out how.

The whole question of valuation is bogus if you can not define what a dollar is. I dont know what a dollar is. Think of it, expert property valuers can not define their unit of measurement. We know what a kilogram of sausages is because we know what a kilogram is. The truth is the government doesnt want anybody to know what a dollar is.

Perhaps we should chart the gold/property ratio like this one for shares http://home.houston.rr.com/intelligentbear/com-dow-au.htm

Now the RBA has a choice, give in to the property investors and let the dollar get smaller thereby supporting increased property values and sacrificing the careful savings of a lifetime for many retired people. Or let deflation bring property down with a thud. The governor of the RBA knows this and so does Greenspan (http://www.gold-eagle.com/greenspan041998.html second last paragraph). He wants rates low to support non-property sectors of the economy but doesnt want people to borrow for property. The political reality is all attempts to avoid recession will be made so they will sacrifice the currency by keeping interest rates low and lower. As real interest rates (bond rate - inflation) approach zero gold will go up. The situation in the US is much worse than in Australia but we will follow them. After 11 rate cuts Greenspan and Bernake have recently said that they will print if it is required to avoid deflation and support asset prices.

That is why gold has been the strongest currency in the world lately. The Aussie dollar is going down relative to gold, the US$ is going down faster. Gold's rise over the last year has nothing to do with war however war may have something to with gold going up.

As for the share market, its better to say it sometimes appears to move from extreme to extreme rather than cycles. One common mistake I have made is "too earlyism". You get a good idea and jump in sometimes years before it works out. Jumping in before the market tells me its time to act. I believe the world financial situation is unstable and unpredictable because there is something wrong with the US economy and the US$. And if the US$ is the worlds reserve currency then anything can happen. This site has a good take on the situation http://www.financialsense.com/series2/perspectives2.htm

Mr Turkey

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but did the report consider "leverage" anywhere?

Most stats I've seen show property around 6-8% and shares around 10-12%. But you can leverage property much better than shares to make up for the reduced gain.

ill leave the inflation idea alone.... its quite easy to show the difference between inflation and asset prices over the last X yrs - im sure its not necessary.

it sounds awful like someone is regurgitating their latest read Good Will Hunting style.... the lesson learnt, theory has no place in the real world.....

if it did then wouldnt the standard assumptions of perfect K mobility and the current interest rate differentials lead to K inflows and an appreciation of the $AUD ?

its all very well to drool theory, its quite fun..... until you realise the implications of the real world on all your "assumptions"

Interesting report, and no more biased than a report covering stock market booms that would clearly demonstrate that shares are a better investment.

Does this mean that we now have to categorise investing in property as a Get Rich Quick scheme because shares are Get Rich Slow?

One thing all these comparison studies don't show is what is the effect of diversifying your investments and varying your vehicles based on market performance.

Frankly it doesn't matter which investment vehicle you choose to generate wealth provided you do your research and the vehicle does grows, it's only a matter of the time you're willing to wait :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

XBenX:

All you need to tell me is, are you referring to my comment, or Mr Turkey's?

By Mr Turkey...
Gold's rise over the last year has nothing to do with war however war may have something to with gold going up.

Can someone explain that to me? Should I add "in the future" to the end of that sentence?

Mr Turkey:

Hell of an opening post! Can't say I understood it enough to make any further comment...

Back