Sydney, Perth house prices to rise by 20 per cent

What does everyone think of the following article from today's paper? Bear in mind that the report was put out by BIS Shrapnel which is always bullish about property prices

ECONOMISTS are predicting a double-edge sword for Sydney's property market, forecasting the median price to boom from $644,000 to $770,000 in the next three years - on the back of the housing crisis.

The report, prepared by BIS Shrapnel, says the underlying strength of the Australian economy, stable interest rates in the short term, high immigration and a dire shortage of houses in Sydney, will be the main drivers of this growth.
It forecasts the Sydney median house will lift by 19 per cent to $770,000 over the three years to June 2014.
The rise in home prices and shortage of accommodation is also expected to force up rents.
This compares with 20 per cent in Perth, 16 per cent in Brisbane, 8 per cent in Canberra and only 6 per cent in Melbourne.
It also predicts that first home buyers will start to re-enter the market in greater numbers next year as the outlook for the economy improves. This will in turn encourage others to return, especially upgraders, as demand for their properties improves.
''Sydney hasn't fallen in a hole and house price growth has been minimal but has held up over the last 12 months,'' said Robert Mellor, the managing director of BIS Shrapnel.
But he predicts this will jump to about 5 per cent in 2011-12 and 7 per cent the year after, before growth will start to slow as a result of higher interest rates in 2013.
''At some point in the next few years rising interest rates will become a concern and that will bring a slowing in residential property markets,'' Mr Mellor said.
BIS Shrapnel chief economist Frank Gelber warned the Melbourne market was "running out of steam" as supply levels for new homes increased to satisfy demand.
Would-be house buyers would be deterred by a likely 100-basis point increase in interest rates over the next few years. Such a rise would take the official rate to 5.75 per cent.
"The property market will stay stronger over the next few years but there will be no huge increase in (residential) property prices over the next five years in Melbourne," Mr Gelber said, speaking in Melbourne.
"The next big increase in Melbourne property prices won't be until the next upward phase of the economy."
Separately yesterday, a report from the Housing Industry Association revealed that in the past year, Australia's major developers built about 50,500 new houses - down about 20 per cent from the previous year.
Commercial to eclipse residential
Despite the optimistic outlook for home owners in most capital cities, residential property will be outperformed by commercial property over the next 10 years, according to research by ANZ.
Equities will eclipse residential real estate as the strongest performer, but ANZ suggests that when risk is factored in, commercial property will generate similar returns.
The report, Asset returns: Past, Present and Future, said owner-occupied housing had made annual average returns of 12 per cent over the 24 years since 1987 even when costs and taxes were factored in.
Simple historical comparisons of equities and property are often used by property analysts to demonstrate housing's superior capital returns but ANZ included costs, taxes, interest on loans and factored in the risk associated with investing.
It found that owner-occupied housing had the highest returns, outperforming investment property, in part because of capital gains tax exemptions.
Investor housing was the next best asset class, performing slightly better than equities over the time analysed, the report said.
They were followed by government bonds, term deposits and commercial property.
HOUSING'S STATE OF PLAY
City 2011 median price 2014 forecast per cent change
Sydney $644,700 $770,000 +19.4 per cent
Melbourne $590,000 $623,000 +5.6 per cent
Darwin $515,000 $600,000 +16.5 per cent
Canberra $525,000 $565,000 +7.6 per cent
Perth $470,000 $565,000 +20.2 per cent
Brisbane $435,000 $505,000 +16.1 per cent
Adelaide $410,000 $440,000 +7.3 per cent
Hobart $370,000 $395,000 +6.8 per cent

BIS Shrapnel? Back in 2009, these guys reckoned the Gold Coast would go up by 14% in 2010/2011. Yeah, that really worked out.

Oh, and here's an article responding to WA side of BIS Shrapnel's latest prediction:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-property-experts-slam-19-increase-forecast-20110627-1gmzx.html

Real Estate Institute of WA president Alan Bourke said BIS Shrapnel had been incorrect in the past.

"They had exactly the same prediction two years ago ... and we saw really no movement at all in the past two years," he said.

"They certainly haven't been accurate, far from it."

Take their prediction with a big grain of salt IMO.

19% in three years is 6% pa. At that rate it would take 12 years to double, ergo fails the basic premise of RE as an investment.

BIS Shrapnel? Back in 2009, these guys reckoned the Gold Coast would go up by 14% in 2010/2011. Yeah, that really worked out.

Oh, and here's an article responding to WA side of BIS Shrapnel's latest prediction:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-property-experts-slam-19-increase-forecast-20110627-1gmzx.html

Take their prediction with a big grain of salt IMO.

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of predictions unless the methodology for making the prediction is very clear, AND I agree with it...

I'm as keen as anybody to see positive articles about Brissie. But BIS...! The one thing consistent about their prediction is that they are consistently making predictions. An index where their predictions are tested would make for interesting reading, perhaps they would be making a lot of money from the predictions.. But I think no such record exists.

With all these predictions (positive & negative) one must never lose sight of the fact all these agencies get paid for comment.

It what they do for a living & keeps bread on their tables.

Last edited:
This article gave me an idea to run my own prediction business.

Anyone willing to buy reports from me? :D

Prediction #1: Prices always go up, insert your % here.

much the same way that gold bugs have the "pascoe effect", i use the "BIS Shrapnel effect" - basically that whatever BIS say is going to happen, i brace for the opposite.

19% in three years is 6% pa. At that rate it would take 12 years to double, ergo fails the basic premise of RE as an investment.

Following on the above and if we believe that current inflation is at 3.6% pa all we need to add is GDP growth on top of it. The end result is that property will be merely indexing itself by inflation but not having any or minimal real growth in the next 3 years (according to the article).

Following on the above and if we believe that current inflation is at 3.6% pa all we need to add is GDP growth on top of it. The end result is that property will be merely indexing itself by inflation but not having any or minimal real growth in the next 3 years (according to the article).

I guess it's a good thing then that this inflation is reducing the real value of the loans!

I guess it's a good thing then that this inflation is reducing the real value of the loans!

Reducing the real value of the mortgage and increasing the nominal value of the yield. However, why should we be surprised about it. Isn't that the case most of the time? A property is always a property but, on the other hand a dollar 10y, 20y, 50y, etc years ago, isn't the same any more :eek:

Reducing the real value of the mortgage and increasing the nominal value of the yield. However, why should we be surprised about it. Isn't that the case most of the time? A property is always a property but, on the other hand a dollar 10y, 20y, 50y, etc years ago, isn't the same any more :eek:

Amen.
:)

I'm as keen as anybody to see positive articles about Brissie. But BIS...! The one thing consistent about their prediction is that they are consistently making predictions. An index where their predictions are tested would make for interesting reading, perhaps they would be making a lot of money from the predictions.. But I think no such record exists.

BIS Shrapnel. To me, BIS stands for "Bank of International Settlements" - kind of like the World Bank or IMF, but more German.

If the real BIS say anything about Australia, I might sit up. BIS Shrapnel are probably just guessing that we will "bounce back" to "trend". Because we all know that's what housing does when it's coming off a high base. :rolleyes:

Back