Internet Listings - Poor Efforts / Photos

The internet is such a great thing. It allows sales agents to cast a wide net and provide huge amounts of details about a property, photos, floorplans etc.

Yet why do so many agents not embrace this, and instead do a complete half *** (or no ***) job of internet marketing.

It is just a real pet peeve of mine, they take a fantastic medium and reduce it to "call for details" in an attempt to drive enquiries. Which ultimately wastes their time from all the people for whom the costs make the property unsuitable.

Take this ad below for a townhouse in Penrith

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-nsw-penrith-109296871

It has spelling mistakes and no essential items such as rates, strata or rental return (despite saying its got a great return).

It is for auction but has no price guide. Useful.

Next the photos. A good exterior photo. You then then have a series of woeful interior shots which do nothing to sell the property or give potential buyers an idea of the layout, size or fixtures

- Photo of a bookshelf with some tenants junk in styrofoam boxes
- Photo of a broken vertical blind
- Photo of a bathroom door handle and some taps
- Photo of part of a yard which makes it look tiny

I am wondering if they mixed up the tenancy exit photos to do a bond claim at the tribunal with the sales photos!

If I was the vendor and I was paying the agent to sell my property, I would be ripping them a new one so bad they wouldnt be able to sit in their BMW for a week.

It just reeks of the agent not giving a stuff about their job.

Next One

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-mount+druitt-108934686

Pure lazy.

Next One

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-nsw-mount+druitt-107669931

More pure lazy from the same agent

Last One

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-mount+druitt-107552295

Finally an ad that has decent photos and useful info inc strata levies. At least there is an occasional agent who can be bothered with their marketing.

Anyway my rant for the day :)

Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't have computers. Other than that there is no excuse for not knowing how an agent advertises. You'd think most people that don't have computers would have relatives/friends that do??

First thing I do is look at listings (sell or rent) then when the agent talks to me I can address the advertising (how many photos etc, what I want said etc). I eliminate some by their advertising. The way they list shows their attitude towards ensuring you get the best result.

Agreed, Dave. I spent three months looking for a property in Ballarat and must have checked out several hundred listings on Domain. Apart from agents playing games with which suburb a property is in, they just fail to identify key points. Examples

1. Enter 3355 (Wendouree) + within 1km of a railway station. Result, nothing. Very strange that, since Wendouree has a railway station. Are all 95 properties really 1km or more away from it?

2. Repeat with 3356 (Sebastopol/Delacombe). 304 properties, 58 within 1km of a rail station. Strange that, since the railway runs north of the Ballarat CBD. Took one at random, 38 Kowree Crescent Seb, 5km from station according to Google Maps.

Same applies with shops, parks etc - makes Domain's facility to refine a search way less useful. You end up just looking at everything just in case.

As for photos, I linked this one yesterday in a different thread, house not yet finished with major subsidence http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/VIC/Ballarat/?adid=2009393413

Considering a professional photographer takes the actual photos and the receptionist uploads the pics on to the site, types the ad, etc, I don't know what the lazy agent's excuse could be :confused:. How is it any effort on their behalf at all? No excuses. Pure 'I don't give a ####' attitude. The only thing worse is vendors who allow it to happen...

Actually internet listings are one of the first thing we checked when choosing an agent to sell a property last year. If they did not have professional looking listings on the net we disregarded them.
Marg

looks good DJBarnstar
if only they were all like that

what id like to see is a vitrual tour were you use your arrow keys and mouse to walk through the house - like you would in a game

looks good DJBarnstar
if only they were all like that

what id like to see is a vitrual tour were you use your arrow keys and mouse to walk through the house - like you would in a game

Thanks BMan. Yes that is a great idea! Would probably be cost prohibitive though. I'll mention it to our IT guys though.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-perth-109106876

241 beaufort st, perth. this has to win because it is a $1.7m property yet is being marketed so poorly

low resolution photos from RPdata, including some from their 2005 ad when the current owners bought it. There have been some renovations since and the house no longher has blue walls etc

it is a magnificent property in need of some work but it is a disgrace the agent has treated it so badly

btw to top it off the house is being sold with walls in 2 room with major paint peling from a bathroom leak (how hard would it be to paint it before sale??) AND the sign out the front is a generic one with no photos showing some of the awesome interior despite being on a busy road.

oh yeah the sign is falling over too

the place is a dump looks like the dog was just letting every one know

yeah unsure how you would be able to do it i guess lots of photos and a special program or some sort of special camera

really liking the micro sites

i found this on another site

The desperated owners said this house must be sold! The owner committed to somewhere else!

This highset house is situated at the heart of Sunnybank, close to everything. 582m2 good size of land with fully fenced inground pool.

Upstair:
3 bedrooms, Lounge room, kitchen, bathroom and front & back balconies, shinning timble floor, back stair to swimming pool area.

Downstair:
3 good size study rooms, Lounge room, functional kitchen, bathroom, access to swimming pool area, entrance door to sperated upstair & downstair area, you can hiding their to enjoy your own.

Owners listen to all reasonable offers higher than mid 400K. If you like to own a piece of land in Sunnybank area in good buy, this is the rare chance you can get!

Call the exclusive agent for private inspection.

why are you hiding downstair? from what?

just one stair between the first and second level?

Yes Ed, the vendors are probably desperate, why else would they have chosen this agent?

Professional photo packages aren't that expensive. Some of those will charge less than $500 including a floor plan, retouched photos in both web & printable formats. Absolutely no excuse for poor quality photos except if you want a poor result.

Same goes for a professional copywriter - (if you feel the need), that guy obviously needs one. ;)

Yes Ed, the vendors are probably desperate, why else would they have chosen this agent?

Professional photo packages aren't that expensive. Some of those will charge less than $500 including a floor plan, retouched photos in both web & printable formats. Absolutely no excuse for poor quality photos except if you want a poor result.

Same goes for a professional copywriter - (if you feel the need), that guy obviously needs one. ;)

the area is 1/3 Chinese ozzies. the vendors probably don't speak English and don't know the add is crap. the agent obviously has the same English skills as the vendor.

These lazy agents are no good for the vendors, but as a buyer, I love these listings.

Because they are so bad, they get overlooked by most buyers, making it far better for me. The worse the agent does at marketing the property, the better it is for the buyer.

These lazy agents are no good for the vendors, but as a buyer, I love these listings.

I was thinking the same myself ... because we're a bit more knowledgeable, we know to see past the rubbish advertising and photos. But if it turns others off, then all the better. :D

Don't forget that the vendor usually okays the photo before it goes up.

Because they are so bad, they get overlooked by most buyers, making it far better for me. The worse the agent does at marketing the property, the better it is for the buyer.

yes unless your from interstate or a few hrs away and have to rely on the photos to get your interest

Back