Investing in Surat Basin Qld?

Has anyone come across bluehorizonsproperty.com? They are selling house and land packages starting at $338,500 and renting for $480-520 (8% return before depreciation.
Has anyone been investing out around Dalby, Chinchilla and Miles? Would love to hear from people who have properties out there and their returns. Also if anyone knows much about the mining projects being done. Apparently very big....power stations, coal mines, gas to liquid plants, refineries and cattle feed lots.

Been reading the adverts in API magazine I see :)

This has been discussed a fair bit on the forum here.

Do a google search for the threads:
site:somersoft.com "Surat Basin"

I asked this same question a few days ago - about blue horizons property. Not in this subsection through.

Don't know much about this company except for what I've read on their website.

We have 2 IPs in Dalby and I know a fair bit about the area. Don't know as much about Chinchilla/Miles, but have done a little research on them.

Do a search for Dalby and you will find a few more details in there.

Not sure if Blue Horizon's figures are that accurate, haven't seen any of these returns listed on the local real estate company's rental lists, but they may have rented one to a mining/gas company privately.

investing in Surat Basin

At the moment the returns are much lower as there are quite a lot of vacancies on the rental market. It is expected to pick up next year when Arrow starts the next phase of its project. But at the moment there are a lot of new places sitting vacant so you would need to factor some period of vacancy into expected yield. Whilst in the long term people seem to be predicting a housing shortage when the new projects take off, it is far from that at the moment with supply presently exceeding demand as far as the rental market goes.

Whilst some regional areas offer good yield and positive cash flow they can also remain stagnant in growth and feel the pinch of job losses when only one or two industries exist.

I've said it before but its worth repeating, the best advice I've ever been given is don't invest anywhere with less than a population of 250 000. Such largely populated areas have multiple industries so if a few go belly up it shouldn't have a huge impact.

I do have a property in Bundaberg but if the sugar industry was wiped out I'd be very nervous.

the best advice I've ever been given is don't invest anywhere with less than a population of 250 000.

Are you sure that is the best advise Doozer.
On the contrary, you might want to rethink that strategy as there are only four suburbs or LGAs with 250,000+ population in the whole of Australia!!

Have a look at the attached spreadsheet for population by suburb.

Anyways, jokes apart, I understand you mean the "greater Sydney", "greater Brisbane", "greater Melbourne" and other metros.

By the way, Population increase in a suburb does not necessarily equate to price increase for that suburb. For instance Blacktown in Sydney. People with 'more' spending power moved out as the place got crowded with people who came in with 'lesser' money (helped by the department of housing) into some of these suburbs, and as a result prices went nowhere.

And if your house is over capitalised in these areas (read gazebo, spas, granite benchtops, rangehood etc) noone would pay a premium price for it. All that was needed was a working electric stove, not a fancy looking brand that did the same thing!

Cheers,
GC.

Attachments

• aus population.xls
    55 KB · Views: 233
oversupply in Chinchilla??

I have just built a nice 4BR home investment property in Chinchilla for $350K and am having trouble renting it out even at $320/w...someone like to comment??

Supply and demand? If it's a long term investment and the Surat mining ops rev up you'll do well I'd say.

A local broker/buyers agent was marketing the Surat Basin area heavily with regular adverts in the local rag up until a few months back. Interestingly, he is marketing a different area now - USA! :eek:

I have just built a nice 4BR home investment property in Chinchilla for $350K and am having trouble renting it out even at $320/w...someone like to comment??

On this thread here: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64580
Last month I mentioned that I was reading in the latest API mag about Dalby (also Surat Basin catchment area), that has 200 brand new & vacant homes that no-one is renting :eek: I guess you are competeing with that rental market too?

Chinchilla has what, 4,000 people in it? I'm guessing that you purchased there to rent to a mining company employee?

We built in Chinchilla with Surat Basin Homes. Handover was beginning of June first tenants moved in beginning of July and we got full asking price of $400 for rent. There are a lot of homes renting for less though a lot of them are not built to the same standards either. Also depends on what estate agent you are using for you PM. We used Anne from Ray White and can't fault her, she had tenants signed up in under 2 weeks. Had to wait a few weeks as they where coming over for WA but worth it as they signed for 12 months.

Things are slow there at the moment but hopefully will pick up now the election is finally over.

A young relative also owns property in Chinchilla. Anne Mohr from Ray White manages her property; does it very efficiently and always gives sound advice.

The Chinchilla market is volatile, however , if you do your research, there are so many new projects about to happen, that the market could suddenly take off. In the last few years, values have crept up, giving a good return, rentalwise as well.

Money has been spent by mining companies, to make the town attractive, so that people will want to live there, not just FIFO.

In my opinion, to buy there now, the best option is to buy an older house on a big block of land, within walking distance to the centre.

The above is my opinion. Please do your own research.

RK

property in Chinchilla

thanks for that comment....all the pointers are to kick along at some point...Anne at Ray White was hopeless unfortunately....so am running with First National...seem to be trying

I have been out and about this region for over 6 years looking at and helping clients invest. I know Blue Horizons well and would be careful of their advice as i have had customers coming to me and not very happy. They are not a bad company but like all advisors or investor based companies they SELL property. Do your own investigations and get a multitude of cross checked information from various sources. I know some of the developers and can access direct from them at competitive rates. The Surat basin is a good play longer term in my opinion but it is largely based on mining and gas and as you all know goes up and down. the longer term trends are up. watch out for property gluts though and get your timing right on entry and like anything else it will pay you back handsomely if you get it right.

Qld Surat Basin/Gladstone gas project approved by Federal Government

The LNG gas projects for the Surat Basin/Gladstone were approved by the Federal Government today. What do you think will happen to property in places like Miles, Chinchilla, Dalby and Gladstone?

jobs

hi icarus
any idea when these 5000 jobs will arive as i have empty place at dalby and another due to go empty in 2 months
my rents have been dropping and dropping over last year since the big oversupply by the sprukers out there, some people horizons are going to be very blue

but also are these going to be jobs that stay or short term and then leave again

Timelord, I'm in the same boat. Lost a tenant in mid September and haven't been able to find another, even after knocking $50 off the rent earlier this month. Have organised a bit of work to be done on the place while it's empty, but that's no consolation.

Spoke to my PM there last week and she said things 'may' pick up early in the new year; speaking to other guys in the energy field, it may be closer to mid 2011. The oversupply hasn't helped much.

I think the majority of incomming workers will be construction jobs, but a significant number of workers should stay on - whether they'll be based in town or drive in-drive out, only time will tell.

my rents have been dropping and dropping over last year since the big oversupply by the sprukers out there, some people horizons are going to be very blue

Timelord, I would say that for many of those investors, the horizon has turned a very dark gray.
Frizzle. :(

What effects will the Qld floods have on areas in the Surat Basin, such as Chinchilla?

Besides the actual damage done, will the clean up work that will be required after the floods, drain a lot of the skilled labor who may have been planning to go to the mines to make bigger money, away from the mines, back to Brisbane and Toowoomba for example?

The clean up and repair work required in Queensland is yet to be determined, but its a fair guess that its going to be an enormous task, and it may generate more work than the mines were going to generate. Could create enormous skilled labour shortages. Will construction, electrical and engineering types who would normally be drawn to the mines for the money, go now? Or will they stay and rebuild?

Will this result in delays to the LNG/energy projects scheduled for roll out in the Chinchilla region over coming months, because they cant attract workers?

Tradies are about to make a motza, thats for sure....

Thoughts?

In early 2008 I purchased a 4 bed 2 bath house and land package in Trinity Green, Dalby through Blue Horizons. I settled on the land in May 2008 and the house was ready for tenants by February 2009. Altogether, including house, land, stamp duty, Blue Horizon's commission I paid $337,695 for the property. By purchasing a house and land package I saved on stamp duty, but this savings was nothing compared to the $13,142.92 I paid in holding costs between the time I settled on the land to the time tenants first started paying rent. Note, these costs were on top of builders construction costs, or as I call them ‘pay as you go’ expenses and comprised of interest building drawdowns and land loans, electricity used during construction, council rates, etc. I had to come up with the money for these before I ever received one cent in rent. After construction my house sat vacant for 2 months before securing a 1 year lease from Origin Energy for $520 pw. I was fortunate that these tenants ended up staying for a total of 17 months. Why I felt so grateful is because only 6 months after commencing the lease, I began receiving rental market newsletters from my rental manager reporting rising vacancy rates with urgent advice to all property owners who had empty dwellings to consider drastically lowering rent to attract tenants. I consider myself one of the lucky ones who, when Origin vacated, was able to secure a new tenant fairly quickly, though I only did so by dropping the rent to $350 pw and allowing pets. The dogs are 'outdoor only dogs' and are a bit of a compromise but I knew I had to take this risk just to rent the property. I knew this because of the many vacancies in the vicinity, such as the neighbouring property owned by a colleague of mine who also purchased through Blue Horizon and whose property sat empty from March 2010 to December 2010.

I was attracted to buy and build in Dalby because I read in the Blue Horizon literature how rents for new homes in Dalby were securing leases accruing $500+ pw rents due to the emerging energy project planned for the area. It was also noted that residential land in Dalby would naturally rise in value since most land was so flood prone that to develop new estates, council engineers required the expensive exercise exercise of carting in dirt to raise the lots above flood level. In turn it was assumed this extra development cost would naturally raise the value of the land I owned. Perhaps this is so, though I've seen a continued roll out of new estates, one after the other in succession ever since I first bought my land in 2008 with more on the way. I see plenty of blocks of land around Dalby currently selling for the same price I paid for mine and less. There are also 3 houses on my street that are vacant and have been for sale for more than 6 months.

According to SQM Research vacancy rate sits at 8.1% so there is obviously an oversupply and anyone considering buying into the region for investment should do their own homework and not rely on the selected facts that others present. For instance, the advent of coal seam gas is controversial and its development might not be as straight forward and clear sailing as initially thought. I hope anyone considering investing in Dalby would have seen the recent 4 Corner's expose showing the adverse effect the coal seam gas 'fracking' as it is called, is already having on Dalby's agricultural sector and public health.

Since purchasing this property, I've learned how to conduct my own research, and now have a checklist of 20 questions whose boxes must be ticked 'yes' before I will consider buying. These include both general and specific topics such as conditions that the population must growing faster than the state and national averages and already be over 15,000 and there must be a wide diversity of already established industries, not just promises of new projects that may or may not eventuate. I'm holding onto the Dalby property because I already own it and I find it costly to chop, change, buy and sell and it is possible that the projects will go ahead sometime in the future. In the meantime I'm looking elsewhere.

Back