Investing in Western Sydney

is it worth investing in another city like brisbane and then looking at sydney once it cools down?
Im in a similar position and am wondering if its worth investing in sydney at all considering the prices properties are selling for

Wise idea in my opinion.

Hi Daria,

Personally i'd aim on putting down 20-10% deposit and excess funds into offset.

Harris park,granville are worth a look but as an op suggested it maybe wiser to invest in brizzy.

Cheers Spades.

Hi Daria

$400K is a very popular max price for first time investors and we field many enquiries from people such as yourself, especially in western Sydney right now. The market is very active, with listings down and demand high- it can be tough doing it on your own or with little local knowledge.

Monalisa has given some good ideas for suburbs surrounding Parramatta. Parra itself is fine, but I'd recommend staying clear of the high rises and sticking to the lower entry cost more established walk-up complexes (up to 3 floors) and adding value this way, if renovating is your cup of tea. Look at streets north of the river (quieter, a little nicer and yet still walkable to rail) Harris Park and parts of Granville (there are better streets and complexes than others so do your DD here) and surrounding Wenty, Pendle Hill etc. Not as much stock right now but stay on top of the market weekly, get in touch with local agents and engage in several weeks of physical inspections to develop a feel for what is happening, as well as what's worth buying. Happy hunting :)

Hi Daria

$400K is a very popular max price for first time investors and we field many enquiries from people such as yourself, especially in western Sydney right now. The market is very active, with listings down and demand high- it can be tough doing it on your own or with little local knowledge.

Monalisa has given some good ideas for suburbs surrounding Parramatta. Parra itself is fine, but I'd recommend staying clear of the high rises and sticking to the lower entry cost more established walk-up complexes (up to 3 floors) and adding value this way, if renovating is your cup of tea. Look at streets north of the river (quieter, a little nicer and yet still walkable to rail) Harris Park and parts of Granville (there are better streets and complexes than others so do your DD here) and surrounding Wenty, Pendle Hill etc. Not as much stock right now but stay on top of the market weekly, get in touch with local agents and engage in several weeks of physical inspections to develop a feel for what is happening, as well as what's worth buying. Happy hunting :)

Jacque - what is your view on the market? Do you think these suburbs (closer to Parra) will continue to get crazy given the proximity to Parra, as well as development going on in Parra?

Jacque, what do you think of Oatlands? Can anything decent with over 1000sq be bought for under a mill? What do you think of prices for this area and streets etc. Thanks

Ok...

What is a good/ bad vacancy rate? What stats should I be looking at to ensure that I'm buying in an area that will always have tenants for my investment?

I'm still looking in Merrylands and even broadened my search to include North Parramatta. Any thoughts?

Thank you for all the replies!

The closer to 0 the better... The vacancy rate in Parramatta is currently 2.5%, Merrylands 1.6%. In my opinion Parramatta is maxed out or close to it. With the last 5 years medium growth being 24%, and average annual growth of 4%. Merrylands has done better, with a 5 year medium of 33%, although average annual in the last 10 years is just over 2%.
Have a look at Belmore: 5 year medium growth of 58%, and average annual over the last 10 years of 5.1%.

Jacque - what is your view on the market? Do you think these suburbs (closer to Parra) will continue to get crazy given the proximity to Parra, as well as development going on in Parra?

Define crazy :D
Seriously, though, demand is still healthy and there is the population to support ongoing demand particularly in the sub $500K price bracket. It also depends on location, quality of complex etc as always. Affordability is and will continue to be a key driver of this area.

Jacque, what do you think of Oatlands? Can anything decent with over 1000sq be bought for under a mill? What do you think of prices for this area and streets etc. Thanks

Nice area :D but best of luck securing a developable block here for under $1m... maybe 12 mths ago but not today. Note this is just my personal opinion :) Even main road positions in nearby suburbs (eg Northmead, Dundas, Carlingford etc) have either limitations (slope, easements etc) or are priced out here.

Back