Investors, forums and intelligence?

Funny how some of those that have a problem with grammatically correct post, have got some grammatical and spelling errors in thier own post. Not mentioning any names, but quite easy to pick out.:p

As for being more intelligent, without blowing too much smoke up my own ***, yes I think we investors are more intelligent, not just financially.

You are blowin too much smoke up your ***, or ours. Investment is far to narrow a field for the genuinely gifted. And many good investors don't talk about it.

Very hard to write correct sentences

Sometime I can not find words and some time I can not make a sentence so I delete the sentence and or drop the plan to ask question on forum. English is second language and I started learning when I was 38-39. Joined IELTS (English speaking, listening,reading and writing classes). Today I am 48 but still struggling to open my mouth/type a proper sentence. But thanks to Forum family members, All are very kind and reply/answer my questions. I get confused when I have to use the words like Advice & Advise, weather, whether, and many spellings like these words..........very confusing, when I am dealing with RE agents, I need to ask many many questions but because of low self confident, I don't ask and just guess the answer or send emails, if I do not get response, I drop my plan to buy that agents listing.
My problem is, I think in a different language then translate it in English, then ask the question, then translate the answer in my language and reply.........It is very frustrating but .........No worries, I am sure, One day I will be able to write/speak properly (Grammatically correct English).Thanks

I admire anyone who has multiple languages. I'd love to be able to have another language, but in Aus, there's very little opportunity (at least in my neck of the woods) to practice.

In Europe you can drive for a couple of hours and get to another language - in Australia you can drive for daaays, and not hit another language. (Apologies to Bill Cosby) So unless one travels OS a lot (which unfortunately for me I don't) it's also difficult to choose another language to learn and justify ones' choice.

vsdabhi - keep at it. I think Aussies are pretty forgiving to speaker's (and writers) who don't have English as a first language.

Just marry someone from an ethnic background - no shortage of those in Aus - and learn their language. I did. :)

I admire anyone who has multiple languages. I'd love to be able to have another language, but in Aus, there's very little opportunity (at least in my neck of the woods) to practice.

In Europe you can drive for a couple of hours and get to another language - in Australia you can drive for daaays, and not hit another language. (Apologies to Bill Cosby) So unless one travels OS a lot (which unfortunately for me I don't) it's also difficult to choose another language to learn and justify ones' choice.

vsdabhi - keep at it. I think Aussies are pretty forgiving to speaker's (and writers) who don't have English as a first language.

LOL I am (was) a cold heartless b*tch of a mother :D

OFTEN I would "sabbotage" my daughter's life (oh the dramatics of a teenage daughter) by "storiming" up to school and demanding a re-assement of assignments because thay had given her an A or (even worse A+) when the spelling and grammar was atrocious.
Sometimes (alas too often)..I would have to argue the point with a teacher why something was wrong.
(But Ma'am the assignment his history not English.......But Ma'am the (English) assignment is about symbolism/comprehension not spelling/grammar)

Sadly, when our kids are not taught spelling and grammar....some of those kids grow up to be teachers to teach the next generation how NOT to spell.

Soooooo.....my message is...Parents, teach your kids to read, write and spell because school won't.

My kids all went to a public (state) primary and high school. The teachers don't worry much about spelling, writing, letter creation when writing, grammar.

I remember writing lines of aaaaa, bbbbb, ccc, etc, in those little books with lines so the a would sit on one line and touch the top line, then b would go up to the next line, q and j etc would go down to the next line, teachers made sure you created letters correctly, you had dotted letters to trace so you could create the letter correctly. All of that very basic stuff just doesn't seem to be taught anymore. Even the way to hold a pen, which used to stuff up the left handed kids (which could be a good thing now), kids just have to work out for themselves how to hold the pen/pencil.

Reading lots of good books tends to assist with grammar and spelling.

Cheers

Where do you people find these schools?:eek:

All the schools I know have handwriting books and use them. Unfortunately kids these days are pushed into writing when they are three-years-old and develop poor pencil grip BEFORE they go to school. This is near impossible to reverse.

Another thing about kids these days i've noticed, they are so damn rude!!
Starting high school i wouldn't say a peep to the older kids, nor was i rude, i always moved out of their way etc, now they just bardge through, and swear at you, no manners what so ever!

No please, no thankyou. Whereas teachers used to make you put your hand up and not speak until you're spoken to, make you say please if you wanted something and thankyou when recieved.

I had to laugh. Sounding old there lil skater.:D

This teacher (me) makes kids say please and thank you. Unfortunately kids come to school without having learned these basic things. After 5 years teachers can't be expected to correct poor parenting. As I said I MAKE them say it but when it's not taught at home they only say it because they have to (at school). It's not ingrained.

I was handing out lunch orders and one kid grabbed it and went to walk away. I held onto it. He looked at me strangely and tried to pull it. I held on. He had NO IDEA what I wanted. Another kid walked up to me on the playground and said " can you open my chips?" I looked at him and said " I could but I won't because you have no manners" He looked shocked.

Last edited:
Just to add to this wonderful thread...me worlds goodest teecher.

I personally think spelling, grammer etc. is over rated as a sign of intelligence, but rather we should focus on the quality of the posts/replies and the added value people bring to the discussions though their input.

PS. Did you pick up on the spelling mistake in the above paragraph??? :D

Just to add to this wonderful thread...me worlds goodest teecher.

I personally think spelling, grammer etc. is over rated as a sign of intelligence, but rather we should focus on the quality of the posts/replies and the added value people bring to the discussions though their input.

Like this one?
grammer (or the other two) :D

When people type on forums they usually write as they think (well I do) and sometimes you change directions. I have ADD so am usually thinking of two things at once and sometimes I type a mixture of them both:eek:. Or people with fat fingers (or false nails) hit 2 keys at once. Nothing to do with intelligence. I don't have time (or the inclination) to proofread everything, I'm here to relax.

Actually there are a lot of intelligent people who have difficulties with the written word. It is definitely NOT an indicator of intelligence.

I personally think spelling, grammer etc. is over rated as a sign of intelligence, but rather we should focus on the quality of the posts/replies and the added value people bring to the discussions th[r]ough their input.

There were two. Possibly three; overrated is one word, I think, not two.

All the schools I know have handwriting books and use them. Unfortunately kids these days are pushed into writing when they are three-years-old and develop poor pencil grip BEFORE they go to school. This is near impossible to reverse.

I don't think that I started at three, but I remember how my parents threatened me with not being allowed to start going to school unless I could read, write, count, and tie my own shoelaces first.

I don't think that I started at three, but I remember how my parents threatened me with not being allowed to start going to school unless I could read, write, count, and tie my own shoelaces first.

And if you can do that , you don't need to go to school.

On your topic it is often written that a formula for success (in whatever form you wish, financial arts, sports, etc...) applies a bit like this:

(I x M) x R = S

I is intelligence
M is motivation
R is resilience
S is success

To elaborate, intelligence plays a role. Obviously someone who cannot read does not learn as readily and cannot avoid mistakes, gain experience from books, etc... But in itself, Intelligence is least important factor.

Motivation is key. Someone with an IQ of 150 who sits and does nothing (there are many) is very intelligent but achieves very little. Why someone average who works very hard achieves above average. This is second most important factor.

Resilience is by far the most important factor. Hence it mutiples the first equation as 10 x 0 = 0. Yes, the ability to pick yourelf up, try again, learn and move on often defines success from average or failure.

History is littered with failures that go on to great success – John Symonds, John Howard, Hitler (no offense intended), Churcill, Edison, etc… But those who give up....stay failures.

On Property the biggest losers are the IP owner who buys a dud and goes off IP for life. We all get a dude sooner or later but if it is the first, it is often the last.

FYI surveys on SS find a similar background when it comes to Motivation such as – a low/poor upbringing, first born, family responsibilities, great sense of self responsibility.

Intelligence is all over the scale.

Regards, Peter 14.7

PS written with great concern for spelling, not my strongest point.;)

Unfortunately kids come to school without having learned these basic things.

it's actually quite sad, but when living in sth aust we were in an area not renowned for its - er - high socio level. junior's kindy teacher was telling me that she usually has 1-2 kids each year who cannot even talk properly due to NO interaction at home.

she only started learning in school, at the end of last year in sth aust, what she had been learning at the mid of last year where we returned to in nsw - so she went backwards for 6 months. it's basically taken most of this year to catch back up.

Hah, The Child started school not knowing any of those. Well, she was writing. But learnt to read by the end of reception. Still can't tie shoelaces.

As to Lizzie's post above, I grew up there. Didn't do me any harm, I had them gramma-lovin parents who didn't swear at home n stuff. And they didn't buy coke or junk food - I remember visiting a friend who was home alone cooking herself 2 minute noodles once and going wow - no fair, *I* never get those! I had such a sheltered upbringing ...

When I was in year 10 literally half the girls dropped out pregnant - they have kids in high school now, serving at the checkouts in Coles. Probably a few have grandkids too. When I was in year 12 I was one of a very small group that actually PASSED and went to uni, meaning of course I moved to Adelaide, which means I have completely lost touch with everyone I went to school with. I wouldn't have anything in common with them now anyway - barring the whole not-working thing right now, I'm degree qualified and having kids in my 30s. That's so weird!

Back