IP on main road

Have had people in the past telling me to avoid properties on main/busy roads. I know I wouldn't particularly want to live on one now but I have in the past. Someone has to live there, right ? Any thoughts?
Craig.

Well every house on every busy road I have ever driven down is occupied so I presume people do live on busy roads lol. I would expect a reduced rent would apply though. An ex of mine rented three houses in a row on three of Brisbanes busiest roads so it can't be too bad ;)

Id buy a house on a BUSY road that has just been driven over by a bulldozer if the price was right

Every property is relative to the price you pay for it, so theres nothing wrong with buying a house on a busy road at the correct price.

Originally posted by brains
Id buy a house on a BUSY road that has just been driven over by a bulldozer if the price was right

Every property is relative to the price you pay for it, so theres nothing wrong with buying a house on a busy road at the correct price.

Very true, listen to the man :)

We used to live on Burnley Street in Richmond. For those of you who don't know it's a major
truck route and was a nightmare.

I think the landlady was doing alright out of it because we (and the previous tenants) moved
out after 6 months of our 12 month lease.

So she wasn't out of pocket and the agency got its third letting fee in 12 months at our expense.

Boy was I glad to get out of there. We learn from our mistakes and I wouldn't live on a main
road again. That said, we did just buy accross the street from train tracks.

andy

Andy,

I was was talking to a fellow the other day that 'bought across the road from the railway tracks'.

He said he wondered what hit him the first couple of days, but now he doesn't even notice the trains. I remember having a similar experience many years ago with a place I rented. I noticed the train noise for a week.....then.......what train noise?

For some it might be a problem....for others......they adjust.

:)

Thanks Alan, I'm not too worried about it, I'm right near the station so the trains are
typically going pretty slow when they pass. There's a couple of VLine trains that express
through that station but a bit of double glazing should take care of that.

andy

In addition to noise, main roads can provide difficulty in accessing a property by car- especially across double lines in a street where turning is difficult, or where view of the road is obscured.

G,day

Landscaping and a great big (1.8mtr min.) block fence, which you could render over with cheap cement and then paint a Tuscan sandy colour giving off that mediterrainian feel, will most probably give your IP some privacy on the main road. Im not too sure about the noise factor though..

Good luck.

Trump63

G'day

I had a listing on Punt Road (Melbourne), a converted church made into six three storey townhouses.

Inside the 450mm thick bluestone walls the traffic was barely a hum.

Crossing the road to the 7/11 was a bit dodgy, but the tram was at the corner, busses passed the door, walk to Chapel Street shops etc

The development also included apartments and town houses. All were occupied with people doing ordinary things like the washing and reading newspapers on their balconies.

In my opinion, it depends on your market.

If you are buying a 'family home' for rent to families, courts or other no through roads have the greatest appeal

But if you are buying to sell (my current activities), remember that 30% of all listings are sold 'off the board'. Your buyer can't see the board in a cul de sac.

Provided the property can offer sufficient off street parking, a main road - even Punt Road, should not present a problem.

Regarding front fences, to the best of my knowledge front fences, under ResCode, are now limited to 1.2m when built to the front boundary or within xmetres of a corner. This is to 'soften' the street scape and provide safe sight lines to turning traffic.

To construct a fence higher than 1.2m, the fence must be set back from the boundary, or a planning permit must be applied for. Side fences even on corner blocks, do not have the same limitation except for the approach to the corner itself.

Once upon a time, the main roads were the prestige roads, allowing you to flaunt your wealth by building and displaying your property to its best advantage.

You also maximise your chances of redeveloping or changing the use of a property if it is on a main road.

Cheers

Kristine

You also maximise your chances of redeveloping or changing the use of a property if it is on a main road

Yeah, Kristine - good info - I've just found out this applies in Brisbane too - main roads get a "better deal" when looking at subdivisions, etc. ie. able to build more sq m of floor area than if NOT on a main road,

Regards,

Can I add that I have notice that houses on main roads take much longer to sell and that the income status of those households are in the "lower" range (i.e. pensioners etc).

Danny D.

Forgot to also mention that if you have an IP on a main road (and on a corner?) and depending on the developments in the area over the years, you could in a good position to negotiate a high price if some sort of big business (i.e. Golden M?, Shell etc) wants the land your that your IP is sitting on (and as well as others near by etc). It "might" pay off in the long term but who would want to "gamble" on that sort of thing?.

Danny D.

I rented a terrace privately years ago in Leichhardt, Sydney.
Part of the advertisement said "close to transport", cause it was right next to Parramatta Rd. (major route into the city)

It was also under the flight path from the airport, so close you could almost see the people smiling in the windows of the Jumbos.

Anyway, the first tennant rang me up about the noise from the aircraft and said "you didnt lie about being close to transport, i can read what brand the tyres are"

I had to laugh, and she had a laugh, and she left in 6 months......hahaha....It turned out she was from out of town and didnt do a little bit of research before renting.

Thanks for all the info folks, I'm still unsure. Off street parking is no problem, being able to turn into it maybe though. As far as being close to transport, yep it sure is...... I can hear it !! ;)
I guess I will keep looking, the price is right but I will bet in 5-10 when it is for sale the price will still "be right".
craigc

Craig,

Why not just not make them a really low offer, like 2/3 of the asking price or something equally insulting.....haha

You just might get it for a song and they can only say no, you were gonna walk anyway.

Or work out your gross rental yield at their asking price and work out how much you need to buy it for to get say half that again and make that offer.

ie: If its 9% gross at their asking price work out what you would pay to get say 13-14% and offer them that amount.

I bought a place on a main road, next to the SE freeway, close to Buranda Shopping Center and the PA hospital. 10 minutes walk to Buranda train station and Dutton Park train station. Living in it now actually. FHOG requirement.

I am now used to the noise, though it's not too bad. Heavy traffic during peak hours are generally fairly quiet because it's a carpark outside my house, during off peak, you can then hear the odd car racing past your door.

Anyway, if you were to rent it out, the fact that the house is on a main road may not bother the tenants, they are not planning to stay there forever, they may be more enticed by the fact that they are in a convenient location on the main road being close to all those shops and easy access to other places, trains and buses etc.

I think you just need to know your market, and location to see if there is enough demand for it. Being next to a main road close to the city and / or large hospital (or any other major employment / business centre) will give you a market to rent to, whilst being next to a major road in the middle of nowhere... well you will have less of a market to rent to then.

Les,

Being on a main road does not entitle you to have greater development potential.

In Brisbane, you first need to look at the zoning, site area and proximity to public transport.

I agree that commercial and low-medium to high density zoning generally occur in the areas along main roads. But more importantly, they occur around public transport nodes.

These public transport nodes are generally where Council encourage more development and 'local' public institutions and facilities. They generally believe that these areas will allow greater population growth / development without increasing car use and therefore reduce the impact of traffic because the locals in these high density developments can walk or cycle to the local centre and take public transport to the city.

Then there is the minimum site area that is required before you can build units, I believe it's about 800m2 or 900m2. And if you are located within 500 m of a train station or bus station along the bus corridor, they may even give you a higher plot ratio so you can build even more units!

Back