Ipod Downloads

Sorry for this technologically challenged question. I have an old 20GB Ipod which I havent used in years. ie. Beach Boys and Duran Duran is still probably on it. I have since lost the original programme to download music from CD to Ipod. We are going travelling and would like to put some new music on it. Does anyone know how I can get the software again installed into my new lap top and how I can download new music without wiping all the existing stuff off? Thanks in advance.

Just download Itunes from the web. When you plug in your Ipod, Itunes should detect it even if it is an oldie. I hope this works!

Word of warning.
Be careful not to allow the new version of Itunes to remove the existing music from your Ipod and then allow it to replace the music from your new Itunes libary, that is the new libary in Itunes which you have just re-installed which will have no music as yet.

I imagine in this situation, you'd like to add new music to your Ipod, well, I'm not sure what the first posts link will give you, but if this doesn't allow you to use the new edition of Itunes Libary to communicate with your Ipod in both dirrections, it is because of the copy write type protection which Apple support.

To get around this, another software is easily availabe which will allow you to plug in ANY Ipod and remove the music from it onto your computer as MP3 music. Then you can add this into your new installation of Itunes and then back onto your Ipod all together (i hope this make sence here).

So the software which I am using and works well is..
Media Widget
Available from here....
http://www.bootstrapdevelopment.com/showproduct.aspx?t=a

It says free down load, but this will only allow you to grab 10 songs at a time. So use it 1st to see how it works before you pay for it. this way you can check if you like it or not. Then if happy, pay the $30 au, and go for it. Takes just a few mins to set up.
Worth it I recon.

I refuse to use itunes………but winamp works well, you just need to make sure the music is saved as mp3’s and not wma files.

Ruby

Thanks guys I will give it a go. & Nice tip Allmine, I was worried about losing all the stuff in the Ipod now so will try your technique.

Ruby out of curiosity, why don't you like iTunes??
I just hate being forced into using proprietary software, especially ones that have issues. Having been used to standard mp3 players previously, where you have freedom and choices in how you handle your music. I just hate the way apple try to force itunes on you.

Luckily there are ways around it. :)

I just hate being forced into using proprietary software, especially ones that have issues. Having been used to standard mp3 players previously, where you have freedom and choices in how you handle your music. I just hate the way apple try to force itunes on you.

Luckily there are ways around it. :)

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Win Amp and Media Monkey are the good alternativies.
Tip
Keep itunes installed, goto the options and configure you ipod to be used as an external storage device.
Then also in options configure Itunes to not start automaticaly when an Ipod is plugged in.
Presto! Your now free to use any soft ware you like on YOUR ipod.

itune complications with mp3s

i had alot of trouble with itunes with audio books. i had to finally borrow a ipod as it wouldnt go on my mp3 player. its made more easily to download to ipods. downloading from itunes to mp3s especially long audio books can be near impossible.

francine

Back