IPs - who does all the work?

Who does all the work

• 1 partner does the work, other partner is not really interested?

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • Both involved, but 1 does most of the physical reno bit.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • It's pretty evenly split 50/50.

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other- casue there is always other

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those that are a couple investing how much of the work is shared?

Is there some out there where partners don't really care, go along with it but most work is done by one person?

In terms of work, i mean looking, considering, reno of it, clean up?

I'm adding a pole, something hubby and i have been discussing, we are pretty much 50/50 with it all, and i'm quickly learning. (Learnt how to use a drill this reno :D)
I got asked at bunnings, by a male why i was off buying the supplies? :confused:
When i said he was at work and he would continue reno when he got home, he seemed fine and said it was great to see the women out.
I really didn't think this thought of thinking was still around.

We have not done any renos but it is my job to do all the research and deciding on what to buy and SWMBO does all the bookwork.

I voted 50/50 but I probably spend more time involved with property, but as far as I am concerned I got the better deal. I hate bookwork. :(

I do all the 'work' with the properties, my fiancee isn't really interested. Having said that, I don't do reno's/work at the properties - that's what I pay tradies for.

For us there is only research and letting my broker know, husbands only involvement is signing any paperwork I put before him and we both landscape if it is a property we have built that is not quite turnkey.

I do all the decision making, research and arranging finance etc As my wife isnt interested in this part.
We both do the physical stuff - minor renos etc.

I do about 95% of everything;
emails, billpaying, phone calls, record keeping, renoes etc.

The wife is 100% in support, but leaves it to me mostly.

I do everything, just a matter of what personality is suited to what, and best time allocation.

I would say, almost everything is always run by Mr OO's thought process and perusal, he has a different perspective on stuff, different ideas and what way to go about, that is pure gold to call upon.

Physically/hands on stuff he contributes if he wants or can allocate his time, no sweat though, I've got it covered. He has taught me a thing or two about his tools and tool usuage.:p

Plus we don't buy anything too out of my depth. half the portfolio are constructions, and the already builts=it's very basic adding value, painting, little patching, replacing, repairing, cleaning, landscaping...most of the $$ made is at buying, then we can add value and let natural law of growth and rental return work it's magic.:)

It all works out well.

Last edited:
The work we do is find em, buy them and set them up to run on auto pilot. PM's do all the day to day work in them.

There is no hands on physical yakka due to our strategy and selection criteria.

My work is working 'on' building & overseeing the portfolio - not working 'in' it.

Last edited:
Mmmm ... I voted other.

Hubby provides the $$$ to buy.
I do the searching and all the 'pounding the pavements' etc - and the bookwork.
Hubby provides signature on contract when requested.
My wonderful builder does all the physical stuff.
Hubby pays him.
Everyone's happy!

Cheers
LynnH

Voted 50/50 split ;

I earn the $
I do all of the legwork
I negotiate and supervise all of the contracts, both sales and leasing

Wife plays golf....

I provide the inspiration, source the financing, do the research, find the properties, negotiate contracts (sale & release), manage the maintenance and do the accounting.

My wife does 100% of the worrying, so I think we're even :)

I provide the inspiration, source the financing, do the research, find the properties, negotiate contracts (sale & release), manage the maintenance and do the accounting.

My wife does 100% of the worrying, so I think we're even :)

Geez - you sound like someone I once knew. ;)

Now it makes me feel better to know others are in the same boat, the only thing my wife does is signing the contract. No complaint though, she is a very good wife, mother, and earner.

Mmmm ... I voted other.

Hubby provides the $$$ to buy.
I do the searching and all the 'pounding the pavements' etc - and the bookwork.
Hubby provides signature on contract when requested.
My wonderful builder does all the physical stuff.
Hubby pays him.
Everyone's happy!

Cheers
LynnH

We are the same. Lynn, I like how you have included the fact that hubby is earning the $$ (in otherwords-working) and your part is the "leg work."

Pretty much the same in my case. We both work, although husband earns more.

It is not that he doesn't care either, just that having his own business pretty much takes up all of his time. He has to leave all the bookwork, research etc to me, and is guided on my decisions by what I have researched and the information I relay to him. he simply does not have the time to do otherwise.

I would have to say though that the passion is completely mine though. I would like to see another POLL with: WHO HAS THE PASSION: You, Partner or Both.:)

Regards JO

Regards JO

Whilst it's still early days in the poll, I am interested in the outcome so far and will continue to monitor.

And I thought I was the only one in the sole interest position. Hence my reason for joining SS. It's a bit hard to keep motivation and momentum when only one party has the interest and desire.

You need other like minded people with similar interests to offer support and encouragement to keep going, rather than falling into "the muppet" trap. And SS certainly does this.

Keep up the good work all SSers.

Project 1080

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

i do the finance
i do the hunting
i do the tennents
i do the building
i do the maintenence
i do the tennent thing
i do the selling.

guessed how i voted?

always surprises me when she says things like WE can just paint it, or build it , theirs not much we realy going on with the property thing , OH i stand mistaken theirs the we will take a holiday when we sell one ?????
God love her qurky ways. supports me well , even when things are good.

I do everything, and always have. The wife has no interest in my property portfolio except to tell me I should sell some to make her life easier. Now she wants to spend $12,000 on another horse and I put my foot down and said no. (she has two already).

So she has given me the ultimatum that she will leave me if I buy another property.

I can't see this ending well.....

I do everything, and always have. The wife has no interest in my property portfolio except to tell me I should sell some to make her life easier. Now she wants to spend $12,000 on another horse and I put my foot down and said no. (she has two already).

So she has given me the ultimatum that she will leave me if I buy another property.

I can't see this ending well.....

i hope your working on a pre nup??????

Back