Ipswich vs Brisbane

What it comes down to is demand and supply.

The market is flat is Brisbane and in my view is under valued by around 10%. But when you talk about Ipswich there is lots of land available and we are unlikely to see any capital growth happening for some time.

Personally I would focus on Property 10 KM and under, I think you will not go to far wrong.

Generally when recovery starts it starts at the center then moves out.

I somewhat agree.

Buy pretty much anywhere within 10km of city centre. In good markets and bad, the demand generally follows the trend:

1st preference[highest demand irrespective of market conditions]: suburbs 2-5km of the cbd
e.g. coorparoo,new farm, etc
2nd preference: suburbs 5-8km of the cbd
e.g. camp hill, carina/carina heights, etc
3rd preference: suburbs 8-10km of the cbd
the gap, carindale etc
4th preference: suburbs 0-2km of the cbd
spring hill, southbank etc

Some of these suburbs flood [ e.g parts of milton, st lucia, etc] and obviously as a result those succeptable properties are in a bit of trouble. Do your research.

I am not saying the above is a good nor a bad thing- im just saying that thats the way it is. Its true for most australian cities. Generally, the australian demand goes for something close to the city but not too close and definately with a bit of land and that too has some versatility/utility. Hard to get all of these without paying a premium, but there are some places - some northern suburbs are good, some southern like greenslopes, some east south-eastern like camp hill,carina/heights, some western like some areas in toowong or indooroopilly.

If you can afford it, screw all of this and go for bardon, auchenflower, or ascot. But if that was the case, you probably would not be on this forum.

What are your views on these areas Angel?

Good morning, thanks for asking.

Carseldine Blah. Nice middle-class 1980s place for PPOR for older demographic. The university campus closed a long time ago so it doesn't have anything going for it other than a Bunnings (ten minutes from my home). The train station is in the newer, low lying, tiny blocks of land section. The older elevated section is a long way from the station and closest to the Motorway. I believe buses go to the city every 15 -30 minutes along Gympie Rd, but the city is a long way away. Off the top of my head, I don't think it has any schools.

Geebung. My preference in this region. Why? Older post-war homes, nice old homes on top of a hill with views, large blocks of land. Two train stations, Sunshine and Geebung. Five minutes drive to Chermside Westfield but not as exxy as Chermside (Last time I looked). Established schools. Closest to commercial and industrial employment hub. Govt is fast-tracking the railway overpass to alleviate major traffic hassle.

Zillmere. OK, but you would want to get the elevated section with large blocks of land and older houses ripe for reno. A long way from the city so not desirable for your typical higher-income professionals who will be within ten klms of the CBD and who will avoid its Housing Commission stigma.

Remember I inferred last week that in Brisbane we think 20 klms out is "too far away". Anyway, why ask me, Andrew Allen is the expert.

Cheers

Thank you!

Anyway, why ask me, Andrew Allen is the expert.

It is true that Andrew rules this area. However you seemed to be highly opinionated (in a good way) and doesn’t seem to have any conflict of interest :)

Last edited:
Back