Is 70msq big or dog box?

I am looking at an apartment in Melbourne CBD, though I haven't seen it myself, only from photos and description. The area described is 70msq living area, is that considerably decent space or too small for a two bedroom apartment? Its got 2 bedroom, one central bathroom with toilet, no balcony.

I am looking at an apartment in Melbourne CBD, though I haven't seen it myself, only from photos and description. The area described is 70msq living area, is that considerably decent space or too small for a two bedroom apartment? Its got 2 bedroom, one central bathroom with toilet, no balcony.

Depends on the size of the dog...

Generally i would say it looks fine.

Depends on the layout. Do you have a floor plan? 70sqm would be the mimimum acceptable for a 2 bedroom apartment IMO.

Sounds a little small, at that size things will usually be compromised ie no balcony laundry in bathroom shower over bath kitchenette dining living is one undersized second bedroom or no room for builtins, will depend on how well they have used the space, i try to keep things so the only thing im missing out on in an appartment are the number of bedrooms and backyard which is fairly traded for balcony with outlook/views and location conveniece everything else should be full sized. Dollar for dollar i personally would choose a one bedder with the lot over a 2 bedder with compromise unless ofcourse you can remove the compromise with a renovation.

Last edited:
Sounds a little small, at that size things will usually be compromised ie no balcony laundry in bathroom shower over bath kitchenette dining living is one undersized second bedroom or no room for builtins, will depend on how well they have used the space, i try to keep things so the only thing im missing out on in an appartment are the number of bedrooms and backyard which is fairly traded for balcony with outlook/views and location conveniece everything else should be full sized. i personally would choose a one bedder with the lot over a 2 bedder with compromise unless ofcourse you can remove the compromise with a renovation.

Yeah I know, I prefer a big 1 bedroom too but this one the price is the same as a one bedroom apartment, just because it's bathroom and kitchen have not been renovated, which I am fairly okay with as long as its usable, I just need to make sure the layout and the location is what I want, then in the future I can upgrade existing features stage by stage...

I've always looked at:
55sqm+ for 1br
70-80sqm for 2br as a non-negotiable guide to buying.

However these days you will find it more common to find :
40-45sqm for 1br
60-70sqm for 2br

So I would consider 70sqm for 2br to be a decent size :)

My 1 bedder Gflat is 70 sqm. But it does have a full size kitchen,laundry,bedroom and a walkin in wardrobe. Its a nice size but i wonder where you squeeze a second bedroom in and shrink as well to keep under the 60 sqm rules for new Gflats.

There are many new mutli-story apartment blocks where 2 (non sub-penthouse or penthouse apartments) bedrooms are typically between 50-65 including balcony

Have a friend who lives in this building in South Yarra, and her floor plan is almost identical to this one. Its 56sqm including the small balcony....

Ideally, art deco apartment buildings or post war constructions have larger size flats/apartments, but you pay a premium for art decos of course.

There are many new mutli-story apartment blocks where 2 (non sub-penthouse or penthouse apartments) bedrooms are typically between 50-65 including balcony

Have a friend who lives in this building in South Yarra, and her floor plan is almost identical to this one. Its 56sqm including the small balcony....

Ideally, art deco apartment buildings or post war constructions have larger size flats/apartments, but you pay a premium for art decos of course.

I think the description did say it's an art deco apartment, it's built in 1930+, and rennovated in 1995.

I think I will probably let this one go... as I just read the Owners Corporation Minutes, and they are going to rise the premium from 2.5k to 5k+ for the next five years for some serious rennovation!

I would say bare minimum. Have been living in a 60m2 2 bedroom unit (measured it myself) for over 2 years. Was perfect size for a single person but have a new roommate as of a couple weeks ago and it is a bit cramp. My bedroom is ideal size for my queen bed but second bedroom cannot fit in a queen/double. It is more like a spacious study room. I don't have a laundry so washing machine is in kitchen. Have a linen cupboard but no other storage areas. Toilet is small and cannot fit in a washing machine. The extra 10m2 would make the second bedroom big enough for a queen bed and a larger toilet for washing machine or a bigger storage area / linen cupboard that doubles as a laundry.

Back