Is Caroline Springs good value for money?

Well it is not a spectacular performer in terms of CG. In 1991 the median was about $160K and it has taken 10 years for that to double to be around $320K now.
Its OK but its not great.
Deer Park was a bit of a favourite for short while and Caroline Springs is even further out.

hm...What about land.I reckon land has gone up alot though.

Well it is not a spectacular performer in terms of CG. In 1991 the median was about $160K and it has taken 10 years for that to double to be around $320K now.
Its OK but its not great.
Deer Park was a bit of a favourite for short while and Caroline Springs is even further out.

i think it is hard to figure out the true capital growth in these new estates, because the newer houses that are sold are done so at a premium because they are new.

I think you have to look at land prices and then take into consideration the cost of building.

I know in pakenham the median house price has risen in the last 12 months, but that is only because newer houses have been built and sold on market above 300k.... but there are still houses being sold for 250k.

You definatley pay a premium for the newer houses.

In my view though... house prices are cheaper at 300k now than they were 12 months ago, because rates have come down and they are more affordable for the debt to be paid off.

median prices can be misleading.... as its the middle between the expensive and the cheap houses.

Hi Guys,
What do you guys think of Caroline Springs in Melb is it a good value for money in the long term?

Limited transport, long way from CBD, heaps of surrounding land etc.

Long-term, I struggle to see the value in middle priced newer suburbs like Caroline Springs compared to closer in areas available for a similar price. Eg Sunshine, though a low-income area with a bad reputation, has more services, is nearer the CBD and better transport.

Limited transport, long way from CBD, heaps of surrounding land etc.

Long-term, I struggle to see the value in middle priced newer suburbs like Caroline Springs compared to closer in areas available for a similar price. Eg Sunshine, though a low-income area with a bad reputation, has more services, is nearer the CBD and better transport.

Agree with your comments Spidey

I get this all the time from my clients. I work for a major builder in melbourne. The asking price of vacant land (most sold by developers) tends to keep going up, however this does not mean their newly completed property has gone up by the same amount. In fact completed houses tend to stay static for a couple of years while it is cheaper for someone to buy vacant land themselves and build, than to buy a second hand house in the same area. When a valuer is estimating the value, they are looking for comparables to that property. Vacant land is not comparable to a built house.

It goes to the old adage, land appreciates and buildings depreciate.

in a nutshell.

Value for Money as in $ per sq m and quality of house = Most likely - Yes
Value for Money lifestyle wise= Average, you get a good lifestyle but its hindered by being far out etc. etc.
Short Term Investment eg CG= No, especially in this market
Long Term Investment = Most likely not, unless something radical happens in the area.
Ultra Long Term = Anything is possible

in rowville my mum built a house for 185k in 1999

she sold in 2006 for 385k.

it was one of the last land releases in rowville.

property be worth close 500k if she still held i'd imagine. since she sold east link got built from frankston to ringwood.

Interesting comments. Seems quite a few are downbeat on Caroline Springs (CS).

Elsewhere in this forum, lots are getting excited about Melton. CS is in the Shire of Melton (council). Melton itself is much farther away from the CBD vs CS. With the newly-opened Deer Park bypass, it takes about half an hour drive to get to the city. There is also a railway station planned (yes vaporware at this stage, but so was the bypass a few years ago) to be built by 2011.

Put me down as one who is more bullish about the long term prospects of CS :)

Disclaimer: I own property in CS

Interesting comments. Seems quite a few are downbeat on Caroline Springs (CS).

Elsewhere in this forum, lots are getting excited about Melton. CS is in the Shire of Melton (council). Melton itself is much farther away from the CBD vs CS. With the newly-opened Deer Park bypass, it takes about half an hour drive to get to the city. There is also a railway station planned (yes vaporware at this stage, but so was the bypass a few years ago) to be built by 2011.

Put me down as one who is more bullish about the long term prospects of CS :)

Disclaimer: I own property in CS

Ernie, a couple of things:

* Our record of delivering road projects is better than delivering public transport projects. For evidence examine Melbourne's 1969 transport plan and compare (i) the proportion of road projects completed versus (ii) the proportion of public transport projects completed.

Basing a buying decision on a future public transport project is highly speculative. If transport is an important criteria then you go with a suburb with it - either country trains (eg Melton) or, even better, suburban trains (eg Frankston, Narre Warren, Craigieburn). And even if Caroline Springs does get a station, it will be well outside the suburb so people will need to either get an (infrequent) bus or compete for parking spots.

* I agree there's possibly better investing places than Melton. But comparing CS with Melton is unfair as the two suburbs have different average prices and demographics.

Melton avg: $210k http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=buy&suburb=MELTON&postcode=3337

Caroline Springs avg: $330k http://www.domain.com.au/Public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=research&searchTerm=Caroline Springs

So you could just about get two Melton cheapies ($180k for the price of a fairly average one in Caroline Springs ($360k).

* Caroline Springs has an average house price of $330k. But does it have $330k worth of value? This is assessed by a comparison of the area's services and facilities with those of every other suburb with a $330k average or close.

To me places like outer eastern suburbs past Ringwood, low socio-economic but close-in areas like Sunshine, and near coastal areas like Altona Meadows or Chelsea Heights would all be strong contenders.

Caroline Springs, like most newer suburbs, also has some disadvantages due to its housing stock. Because of the greater housing diversity in older suburbs, there's a greater variability in house prices in these areas. This means a better chance of finding something for (say) $330k but buying in a suburb with an average price of $400k+ and getting $400k worth of services, facilities and demographics into the bargain. The scope for value-adding is also increased as there's a likely better return for each dollar spent.

Hi Spiderman,

Wasn't my intention to put down Melton in any way, so if my previous post sounded that way please be assured that it just ain't so :) In fact, I think there is good reason to be buying in Melton especially for those looking for decent yields. The reason I brought it up was actually to compare it favorably with CS.

Of course CS would have a higher median house price than Melton given its closer proximity to the city, newer housing stock, and simply because of its demographics. It is people and their capacity to spend that ultimately drives prices, isn't it?

I agree, buying anything primarily based on future development is speculative (transport or not). I suppose those brave souls who bought into CS in the early stages were part-speculating as there wasn't anything at all in the area and they would have had to go to the nearby suburbs for any of the services. However because of this, the price they paid was very low. Now that some of the plans have been completed and there are local services available prices have adjusted accordingly. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter whether the rail station gets completed or not because the price I would pay for a property would be mainly dependent on what is available now. Yes, I would be willing to add a few more dollars on the table for future developments, but that is part of investing after all and how much extra would be based on one's reasonable expectation of the future development coming to fruition. This would be true for investment in any suburb, just more pronounced in CS given that it is a young suburb.

Cheers,

e

Here's some data from ABS (2006 Census) for CS and a couple of other western suburbs that might be interesting. For more data, please visit http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au

Suburb / MII / MHI / MFI / MR
Caroline Springs 642 1295 1372 231
Sunshine 348 738 914 165
Melton 385 782 969 170
Australia 466 1027 1171 190

Legend:
All figures in $/week
MII: Median Individual Income
MHI: Median Household Income
MFI: Median Family Income
MR: Median Rent

ernie

i agree with your coments and i also own property there. I intend to move to CS from Deer Park once i have finished building there. Hopefully sometime in this life.

CS to the top of the westgate in 15 mins on the bypass, great schools and services within CS. Watergardens down the road. Excellent owner occ suburb in my oprinion although i do know some investors that are pulling decent rents. I am also bullish about CS.

Approx 7 mths ago at seminar with ANZ and WBP, the valuers had Hillside and CS on their medium to long term watchlist.

Cheers

Ernie...
I totally agree with you and left to me CS will retain its value anytime.
Just too sure of this.:)
Thats my opinion

ernie

i agree with your coments and i also own property there. I intend to move to CS from Deer Park once i have finished building there. Hopefully sometime in this life.

CS to the top of the westgate in 15 mins on the bypass, great schools and services within CS. Watergardens down the road. Excellent owner occ suburb in my oprinion although i do know some investors that are pulling decent rents. I am also bullish about CS.

Approx 7 mths ago at seminar with ANZ and WBP, the valuers had Hillside and CS on their medium to long term watchlist.

Cheers

Back