is double brick more desirable?

Im looking at a pretty run down house, asking price $180k

inside its pretty old, run down and orignal, however the interior walls are brick

ive been told its more desirable then fibro

I personally think they are hideous

Im looking at a pretty run down house, asking price $180k

inside its pretty old, run down and orignal, however the interior walls are brick

ive been told its more desirable then fibro

I personally think they are hideous

What would you rather own?

I would agree with who ever told you this

would also cost more to build so would be worth more

you could lay gyprock over the brick if you dont like it

Have you been watching the asbestos stories this week on the TV? I'd choose brick EVERY day. I think on one wall it looks good when painted as it adds texture but we all have different tastes or do as Bman suggested, Gyprock straight onto it.

Brick is better every time.

If they're exposed interior bricks I'd suggest, as others have, boarding over them unless they're nice looking bricks (not brown, or 70's red etc)

Are they handmade bricks...if so...then they are worth a fortune!!!!

Properly cleaned handmade bricks look fantastic. My PPOR is made from hand made bricks and I am always getting asked if I want to sell it!!!

It was very well built, I add.

Chris

Would it be easier to add an extention on top of a double brick house than single brick or clad house?
Possibly, provided the footings are adequate. The lintels above windows and door openings may need to be upgraded as well.

Other pros would be lower maintenance (if not gyprocking over) and less termite risk.

What are the 'scientific' reasons behind the obsession with double brick?
I don't know too much about it, but I went with the flow when purchasing and went for double brick.
What's wrong with brick veneer, fibro or weatherboard anyway?
I have heard they are noisier and colder (all thinner than DB = less soundproofing).
Anything else?

What are the 'scientific' reasons behind the obsession with double brick?
I don't know too much about it, but I went with the flow when purchasing and went for double brick.
What's wrong with brick veneer, fibro or weatherboard anyway?
I have heard they are noisier and colder (all thinner than DB = less soundproofing).

Anything else?
I'm no scientist, but that's reason enough for me.

I prefer brick veneer / steel frame like Victorian built houses. Faster to build, easier to remove walls (design pending) and has a good R rating as you use insulation batts between the brick and plasterboard. If you use steel over timber you don't have to worry about termites either :)

I got stuck with double brick in W.A cause its how it is done over here. A lot of work if you want a GPO / data point on an internal wall later on. The R rating of double brick isn't all that good either and most builds that I saw going on weren't using thermal beak wrap and the R value of brick veneer Vs double brick is negligible from the research I've done. The last house I lived in during summer had internal wall temperatures hitting 30C!!! It keeps plenty of brick layers employed and the brick works running. The people that have been living in WA forever tell me that Midland brick had a big campaign years ago spruiking the benefits of double brick....

image8.jpg

image21.jpg

Other then the fact that its a horrible colour

I just cannot see it being pleasant after a new paint job and better colours to be physically appealing from a tenants perspectve compared to fibro!!!

What am I missing here!

Some older buildings have the 'raw' brick like that which people have occasionally painted to make it less hideous. Many of them are apartment buildings and people have painted them rather than plaster or plasterboard because it's cheaper.

These days the WA internal brick walls are all plastered so that they do look the same as gyprock.

The people that have been living in WA forever tell me that Midland brick had a big campaign years ago spruiking the benefits of double brick....

it's considered to be one of the best campaigns ever - when sales dwindled they managed to convince everyone that 2 bricks are better 1. Buyers are now scared witless of purchasing other than double brick but they have no idea why. it's thermal properties, earthquake resistance etrc are shocking but it is so entrenched in the WA building system that tehy keep making exceptions to the point where somehow it is now rated as some sort of ecoproduct... amazing.

Double brick is far superior. Single brick is basically a skin on a timber frame with little structural purpose, more decaration and weather resistance. Double brick is load bearing along its entire length. Double is rarely built these days and unheard of in estates.

thats pretty ugly.

u could use texture/render paint and products to get it to a flat finish but would be effort.

dunno what local rules r but in my area on the east coast the only advantage of dble brick is less or no underpinning for going up to a 2nd storey extension. singles and fibros sometimes need expensive work before you can get permission from council.

Can depend on the area, if everything in the street is character and timber then a brick residence could be out of place. Otherwise brick and double brick if no significant cracking or movement, fibro can be fine but not clear why you would buy this if you had a choice!

Back