is double brick more desirable?

Agree, unless its a really Victorian character house, double brick, makes it look like a hospital or mental hospital interior

I think fibro if its done neatly or painted neater would look better

i woudln't be using double brick.

Last house i stayed it took at least a day and a half to cool down after a scorching 40 degrees.

nowadays - builders are using a combination of hebel panels and brick to achieve a higher energy rating. Having double brick only makes it hard to do electrical adjustments etc later down the track.

Having lived in WA and now living in the East.. I hate not having double brick.

Main reason is noise.

I could hear my room mates snoring vibrating through the walls, which you would not hear with double brick. Likewise you can hear the low rumblings of subwoofers.

In my new house if I'm in a different bedroom there is a laundry inbetween that and the ensuite toilet, I can hear my partner pee at night when its quiet..

shocking! I would pay extra for double brick but that's because of my experiences

I'd go with double brick any day. There's obviously an overwhelming perception that they're classier, greater value etc. At the end of the day the market trades on perceptions. If I had a choice, I'd choose a castle.

It's the same as why drive a Maserati instead of a Ford. Both are transport vehicles and both achieve their purpose - except one does it for 10% of the price. The answer is perception. Or why use a Hermes bag for $100k? You may think it's a waste of money but there's obviously a market for it and just because one hasn't reached that league doesn't mean there isn't a market.

Of course, I'm thinking truly irreplaceable Victorian/Georgian/Edwardian double brick houses not hospital wards, as someone aptly pointed out. Was down at Albert Park in Melbourne yesterday - no matter what they do in the new suburbs they can never replace the tree-lined streets with double bricked terrace houses. That's why the median salary there is $100k.

It's the same as why drive a Maserati instead of a Ford. Both are transport vehicles and both achieve their purpose - except one does it for 10% of the price. The answer is perception.

i think your examples are off the mark. In WA there is no price diff between double brick and alternatives, in fact alternatives are usually dearer. So your example is now a Ford vs Holden debate.

image8.jpg

image21.jpg

Other then the fact that its a horrible colour

I just cannot see it being pleasant after a new paint job and better colours to be physically appealing from a tenants perspectve compared to fibro!!!

What am I missing here!
Id NEVER consider this particular design over non double brick no matter what colour it was painted, unless it was painted/patched up so that you could see the bricks, in which case you may as well have gyprocked over it in the first place, and yes it looks like a hospital or a prison

Living in the eastern states where the majority of homes are brick veneer, but grew up in Perth with double brick. I do many renovations in Vic, Qld and NSW and I find brick veneer homes with stud walls so much easier, quicker and cheaper to work with. The noise issue I solve by installing sound reducing insulation in the internal stud walls before lining with Gyprock.

Double brick in Perth was fine, but as someone said earlier ... It can get damn hot in summer and slow to cool down, unless I suppose you have an air-con which we couldn't afford when we lived there. Also much more difficult for the DIY-er to change or move internal walls with double brick.

Having said all that I've just bought a 1930's commercial with residence that is double brick throughout, ..... It should be fun to reno ... but at the same time I have no issue with brick veneer either.

Mystery

Back