Is it legal to letterbox advertise yourself?

Is it legal to walk the streets and deliver leaflets?

With the content that might go something like as follows and with a nice layout and printed:

Considering selling your home? I am currently interested in buying an investment property. I will consider any deal. Does you, your friends or a friend of your friends want to sell there property?

Please contact anytime. Phone number.

Jaffasoft,

Yes it is.

Theoretically you can ignore letterbox signs saying no junk mail - they are not legally enforceable. However in practice you may as well not create the bad blood - even if you're offering something they would actually want :)

I would suggest that you consider getting a pre-paid mobile & taking calls on this rather than your regular lines, for a little more security & control.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I've never done this (but am considering).

My thoughts:

1. No need to tell them it's an 'investment property'. You could just say 'a property like yours' instead. People might prefer to sell (particularly houses) to a real local family rather than an unknown out of town investor, though when it comes to the crunch most will accept whoever offers highest.

2. Have a note saying 'if you are a tenant or the property is listed with an agent please disregard this letter'

3. Make it more a personal letter style (Dear owner.... yours faithfully and personally sign) than an ad. Don't make it look too slick or commercial, but check spelling.

4. Prepaid phone - good idea! Use voice mail.

Regards, Peter

It is legal. Oh good. Thanks.

Yes would probably respect the 'N0 JUNK MAIL'.

I wanted a way to not say that it's an investor because i thought that might be a deterrent. So number 1). Sounds like one way to get around it.

Another is:
In my situation, i could say I’m looking for a first home, because i will be applying for the FHOG. Therefore i would not have to say im an investor. For the first time around anyway. I may well even live in the home for a few years, though i want to buy the first house on investor criteria! Killing two burrs with the one stone.

Why would you not want the tenant to pass the knowledge on, the odds are that some of the ppl getting them will be tenants, they might know that the landlord has been looking at selling. Or even know and tell someone else.

A personal letter style, yeah, something short and sweet would be the go. Could probably sign each one too.

Prepaid phone - good idea! Use voice mail.
Yep sure! I've got a pre-paid but i think you meant get another one separate just for this.

If anyone would care to use there grammer skills, feel free to write up a mockup and put it in the forum :).

Attached is one I'm thinking of using.

However it's a bit terse and clinical.

Only real estate agents, investors and debt-collectors talk about properties.

'Normal' folk discuss homes and houses.

Substituting 'home' or 'house' for 'property' would make the letter a bit warmer. In some people's mind, would imply that you're not an investor (even though it actually will be your house - your tenant's home).

The thing that most worries me is neither writing the letter nor sticking it in people's letterboxes, but the mechanics of buying privately.

Apart from people saying it can be a way to get bargains, there doesn't seem to have been much forum discussion on the nuts and bolts of it.

The private sale websites might have some info. Or I could call my conveyancer/solicitor.

Regards, Peter

Attachments

• Letter wanting to buy.doc
    22 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for that and sharing your thoughts on it.

"The thing that most worries me is neither writing the letter nor sticking it in people's letterboxes, but the mechanics of buying privately."

That worries me as well. Being reasonably inexperienced at this game, i would say i need to dig up a bit of information about that. Prior to walking out and sticking flyers in people's letterboxes.

Jaffa,
Get yourself some good books on negotiation before you start buying. Wayne Berry has written a fairly readable one, as well as others. Good luck, and let us know of your results!

Spiderman said:
The thing that most worries me is neither writing the letter nor sticking it in people's letterboxes, but the mechanics of buying privately.

Apart from people saying it can be a way to get bargains, there doesn't seem to have been much forum discussion on the nuts and bolts of it.

The private sale websites might have some info. Or I could call my conveyancer/solicitor.

Regards, Peter
It's easy. The conveyancer/solicitors can handle all the paperwork that a Real Estate agent would do.

You find the house, agree a price with the seller, get your Solicitor to do the normal paperwork, and the seller goes to their Solictor too.

Just check that your one does know wha to do first though :D

Jacque said:
Jaffa,
Get yourself some good books on negotiation before you start buying. Wayne Berry has written a fairly readable one, as well as others. Good luck, and let us know of your results!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah , i think i could definitely do with learning some negotiation skills.

"I'll put a word in about the solicitor thing ;) ".

Don't let the conveyancing things worry you - getting the negotiations right is more important - however you do need your contract note ready to sign as soon as an agreement is made. As NO DEAL is made until it is in writting.

I can't but recomend the 'self help' style books on conveyancing - even if you go through a conveyancor. It helps you understand the process and to read the documents to know whether you have a good deal or not. Especially if you are are beginning your negotiations before what is called a 'Section 32' (in Victoria) has been drawn up for your purusal. There are certainly some traps - unless you know the physical area you are buying in and legal considerations reasonably well. These books help you know the legal pitfalls - to know how to get relevant information on the physical and legal status of the prospective property.

If you haven't brought a property before, I strongly recommend you first make an association with a conveyancing company - before you send out your literature. Then if you get a bite - thats one thing less you have to worry too much about. However I still strongly recommend the reading of a reasonable conveyancing book as well.

I highly recommend the book by Legal Kits of Victoria - if you are buying in Victoria. I am sure there are other producers of these types of books for Victoria, and also for Australia. From memory (when I check this out quite some years ago) there was a company in NSW that produced books for all (or most) of Australia.

If you want more detailed explanations - ask some more questions.

But don't let details stop you achieving your dreams - most things can be worked out (or they will be worked out one way or other - maybe not in your favour though) - but don't sign an agreement with someone to buy their property until you speak to a conveyancor.

All the best.

JAM

Back