Is it possible to remove some feature tiles

Hi guys

Just wondering if this is possible, don't have much knowledge of tiles.

Want to update the bathrooms without completely renovating them. Inside the tiled shower cubicle there is a horizontal line of flowery ugly tiles going around the shower. It looks very dated. Is it possible to get a tiler to remove just those tiles and replace them with something more modern?

Also, the previous owners put some cut up carpet down on the toilet floor. When I looked underneath, it has like carpet burn all over the tiles. I tried scrubbing it off, but it's stuck pretty fast. It's like the backing of the carpet. The tiles are white. Does anyone know how to get this off, or if it will come off. I thought maybe brush cleaner, but wasn't sure if that would ruin the tiles?

Thanks for your help

QueenBee

In our downstairs bathroom, which became my son's ensuite by default, he hated the small dark green tiles around the top. There were about a dozen diagonally laid small tiles. He cleaned them very well and painted just the actual tile surface with gloss enamel paint. It has held on beautifully but the water from the shower doesn't really get on them as they are up high in the shower.

You could give this a go first to see if it holds. If not, move to plan B.

Wow!!

This post is making me feel better. We renovated our bathroom about 10 years ago and could not afford the little feature tiles, would have added far too many $$$ to the cost, but the time we paid for the tiles and extra for laying. So we simply tiled to the ceiling.

Maybe we were before our time!!
Marg

I have tiled a fair bit and if one goes down wrong , or should i say if i have to remove a tile, that has beed glued and grouted i hit it with a hammer and remove it from the inside out type of thing?? this way you should not damage the surounding tiles?? luck.
withe the floor try thinners, and ventulate the room, or you wont wake up to see your new feature tiles, good luck and be patient??

I don't lke feature tiles and now I see that one of the reasons is because they can date a house after a period of time.

I like just plain tiles that will still look good in the years and years to come :)

I don't lke feature tiles and now I see that one of the reasons is because they can date a house after a period of time.

I like just plain tiles that will still look good in the years and years to come :)

Totally agree, and always WHITE tiles (for me anyway).

Thanks for that. Might look into painting them or the transfers. Probably won't be able to match the white tiles, they have a pattern on them, sounds cheaper doing the other two ways anyway. Awesome.

Back