Is it too hard to replace a fridge seal by yourself?

Looking into buying a 2nd hand fridge. Good deal at $350, but door seal needs replacing (freezer compartment).
I think getting a fridge-seal company to do it will cost $200!
Is it just too fiddly and difficult to do yourself? If it's not worth it I'll pass on the fridge.

Depends how old the fridge is. The recently made Electrolux range (kelvinator, westinghouse etc) just push in. Older fridges would be more difficult, but not overly so. Just heat the seal up in some hot water and use a roller (like a spline roller for flyscreens) and with a bit of patience it should be ok.

There are companies where you can buy a secon hand reconditioned fridge with a three month warranty for not much more than that price.

It is about 25 years since I bought my second hand Kelvinator which is still going like new (I'll spew if I jinx myself :(). It needed a freezer seal which was not dear from an after market supplier, it was held in place by screws under the main seal - eeeeeasy as!!

Just get a new one on the Hardly Normal 50 month interest free deal with the low deposit, save the diff over the 50 month term and pay the whole lot at the end with no interest.

Our last fridge lasted 17 years.

Just get a new one on the Hardly Normal 50 month interest free deal with the low deposit, save the diff over the 50 month term and pay the whole lot at the end with no interest.

Our last fridge lasted 17 years.

Huh?
Sorry I don't get it.....

Thanks everyone, I've decided to pass on the fridge. It's too exxy for what it's worth if I factor in the cost of replacing the seal. Actually, just the seal itself would cost around $60 minimum I think. Getting it replaced by the seal company would be around $200-$250.
I wouldn't be able to replace it successfully by myself first go I don't think, so in the end it's just not worth it.
Maybe I'll see if some old fridges turn up on the street on council collection day - I can practice on them!

Last edited:
Huh?
Sorry I don't get it.....
Hardly Normal = Harvey Norman.

50 months interest free,
1/3rd deposit (about $400 - approx the same as your second hand fridge),
Save the balance as you wait until you have to pay the rest when the total amount is due in 4 years and 2 months.

Defective fridge seals will cost you more electricity and compromise food quality. What is the brand of your fridge? there are brands that you can just order the seals online and DIY. Saves you money.

Hardly Normal = Harvey Norman.

50 months interest free,
1/3rd deposit (about $400 - approx the same as your second hand fridge),
Save the balance as you wait until you have to pay the rest when the total amount is due in 4 years and 2 months.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll pass on the fridge. It's not worth it when a new one would be maybe $900 from 2nds world.

I've always wonders how shops makes money on these 50 mths interest-free deals. That sounds like a long, long time to lend someone money without charging interest...?

I've always wonders how shops makes money on these 50 mths interest-free deals. That sounds like a long, long time to lend someone money without charging interest...?
When the first payment, or any payment, is a single day late or a single dollar short, the interest rate for the entire loan amount zooms. The majority of people end up paying interest apparently. Many people will have committed themselves to expensive items they cannot afford- after all, 50 months is a long time away.

When we built our ppor many years ago we purchased our carpet on interest free terms. At that stage there were no electronic transfers available. Every payment had to be by cash, in person, at the store. I guess that's probably not the case now.

New Seals aren't that expensive

To replace a fridge only seal you will be looking at about $130 for a company to do it. Once fitted they are normally as good as the original. Most companies do not use imported seals, they make the seals from extrusion made in Melbourne or Sydney.
If you were to fit the seal yourself you can buy them online for around $40 to $60 - not that expensive really!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where one could buy a fridge seal in Melbourne? (or online)

I'd need something to suit a 5 year old Westinghouse.

Back