Fridges with cold water/ice making facilities

Has anyone got any brand recommendation or what not to buy tips. I haven't purchase a fridge for ten years. The last fridge I bought had the door shelf holders moulded into the door so the whole door needed to be replaced when it broke, so I'll be avoiding that. Anything else I should look out for?

Has anyone got any brand recommendation or what not to buy tips. I haven't purchase a fridge for ten years. The last fridge I bought had the door shelf holders moulded into the door so the whole door needed to be replaced when it broke, so I'll be avoiding that. Anything else I should look out for?

My fridge doesn't have ice making facilities. However my freezer does. I recommend against the ice trays that don't stack.

I've been pretty happy with our Samsung, bought it three years ago iirc.

Most of the designs now are very functional and take into consideration things like you've mentioned (replaceable internal shelves) and deoderiser units, power freeze settings (makes ice in 30 mins/cool hot soft drinks in 30 mins). Pretty nifty little functions.

am considering putting one into a holiday home short term rental but am torn between it being a nice feature and a PITA

would also like to stick one in an alfresco area, can you chuck any old fridge outside or does it need to be commercial?

would also like to stick one in an alfresco area, can you chuck any old fridge outside or does it need to be commercial?

I guess you could chuck any old fridge outside (as long as away from the weather), new fridge, maybe not.

I've got friends who have outside fridges in covered areas for their 'beer fridge' and they seem to do well. But they are old and built solid (and probably use twice as much power as a newer one).

Dead fridges make great Eskys.

Can't help much as I prefer freezer without cold water/ ice making panel on the front due to potential maintenance and hygiene issue.
Hygiene - what issue there?
We had a filter beside our tap. I could hear these funny noises one night while watching Tv. Eventually got up. Filter container exploded inside cupboard. Of course it was where I keep recipe books. Cupboards and floor was drenched. We've been using a water filter jug. Current fridge is so small we can't store it in the fridge. I grabbed a glass of water yesterday. A couple of minutes later I saw a cockroach inside the jug. I finally caved to the idea of a fridge with filtered water. Surely couldn't be anything worse than that! Yuck.

am considering putting one into a holiday home short term rental but am torn between it being a nice feature and a PITA

You can use any fridge for outside.
I wouldn't imagine would add any value. I usually take bottled water when we go away on holidays. It's usually the kids being fussy about taste of water in different places. From what i hear kids see the fridges as a big novelty. They put water in a glass, add ice and water splats everywhere in front of fridge. Not good if you have kids often I'd imagine.

Hygiene - what issue there?
People are not always hygienic, so the water in the fridge container might get contaminated over time, e.g. green stuff growing if you reuse a glass container overtime and not washing it properly every couple of days.

Not to mention the pain and cost of changing filters.
Caveat is, I have never used a fridge with one so my concern might not be justified :eek:

We had a filter beside our tap. I could hear these funny noises one night while watching Tv. Eventually got up. Filter container exploded inside cupboard. Of course it was where I keep recipe books. Cupboards and floor was drenched. We've been using a water filter jug. Current fridge is so small we can't store it in the fridge.

How big is your current fridge? My old one is about 400L and can fit a Brita jug on the side.

I grabbed a glass of water yesterday. A couple of minutes later I saw a cockroach inside the jug. I finally caved to the idea of a fridge with filtered water. Surely couldn't be anything worse than that! Yuck.

GYAAAAAAA :eek:

Back