Is it worth installing a dishwasher in an IP?

Tenants and applicants so far have mainly been average office workers, or employed blue collar workers. No one 'flash'. Just the kind of people who work in average jobs and are probably saving to buy a house and raise their kids. Some applicants have 1 small child (it's a 2 bed 1 bath apartment).

I was wondering if it would be worth it at all installing a dishwasher and how much this should cost? To do so, I would have to sacrifice a cupboard. Can I just cut a hole in the cupboard or would this result in having to change all the cupboards?
Reason I am asking is one of the other owners in the block installed a dishwasher and I noticed he replaced all the bottom cupboards (meaning, all the cupboards that sit on the floor). He did not replace any of the top cupboards (meaning, all the cupboards that are stuck to the walls). I don't know if this is a coincidence or whether he just wanted it that way. It doesn't look too bad, except the top cupboards are a bit yellowy with age, but the bottom cupboards are white because they are new.

I wonder if installing a dishwasher will bring be worth it for my IP.

TIA!

I wouldn't do it. Its just another thing that can go wrong. Unless its top market rental, nah, buy tenants a pair of rubber gloves instead. Save yourself a headache IMO.

I've seen dishwahers in Bunnings for around $400, or was it Aldi? Check them both.

Probally around $150 for plumber to connect depending how difficult. Most sink drain pipes have a special fitting for the diswasher. You can DIY if handy with a wrench.

You may have to sacrifice some cupboard space (one door has to be removed) for the diswasher or have it sitting at the end of the kitchen.

Tenants with a small child can save on bath times by have a dishwasher. No I'm only joking lol

haha, thanks datto.
I thought it might attract a better quality of tenant. You know, to give me the edge in the competition.
That's the reason I don't have airconditioning installed. A/C breaks down alot and it just costs too much to fix.
Thanks.

Its a necessity tenants require now days.... by not having it you are reducing your market place & cash flow a lot too.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that. I'll talk to my real estate agent.

On the topic, are there A/C units I can put in an IP without having to drill and install? Reason being, I can just chuck the whole thing out if it gets too much and buy a new one.
I grew up with an A/C unit in my parents' house and recall the units breaking down frequently.

There are portable AC units available but they are not very good in comparison to a reverse cycle split system. I wouldnt even consider a portable unit.

Well, if you do instal the dishwasher, the tenant has to look after it, clean it etc otherwise it will break down or not work properly and you will have to fix it or argue with tenant (headache).

I think to get a competitive edge you need to reduce rent, I don't think a dishwasher is going to do it. But thats only my opinion.

I would ask the agent what is expected, what extra rent you will get from air-con and from a dishwasher. If you cannot get more than the interest for the loan to put these in (if you are borrowing) then don't do it.

We have progressively added air-con and dishwashers into any house we own or control. But our houses are in areas where not having these items mean we sit for longer or miss tenants completely who will not rent without them.

A dishwasher is one of the first things we look for in houses that we plan to live in. We told our current landlord that we'd move in if he installed one, and it was there the next day.

For our main IP, we installed a dishwasher 7 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Anyone who can use a drill can install one and they're fairly inexpensive and very low maintenance.

A dishwasher is one of the first things we look for in houses that we plan to live in. We told our current landlord that we'd move in if he installed one, and it was there the next day.

For our main IP, we installed a dishwasher 7 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Anyone who can use a drill can install one and they're fairly inexpensive and very low maintenance.

Not all tenants will look after the dishwasher and that's where the problems arise

id definitely look at getting aircon.
as for a dishwasher i just put one in my house PPOR and dont know how i lived without one. took me half a day of ripping cupboard out and cutting it up. but its an old 60s kitchen so would be easier with a newer kitchen. dont forget having to install a power point and the sink s/p trap will need a (spiggot?) for the dishwasher drainage.
unless it is going to give you $5-10 a week extra then what do you benefit for putting one in? would maybe having a hole for one in the bench entice people who have them to rent yours so they can put one in there? (do any renters have there own dishwasher?)
putting one in means having to have a higher rent so is that then making yours more competitive or less competitive.

are you having trouble renting it out? if so maybe putting one in may help it rent quicker?
your pm should be able to tell you what people are looking for when they come to them to rent and what the other landlords they have on there books have or dont have.

is there something else tenants want more than a dish washer?

I think its almost an essential these days. I have dishwashers and aircon in all my houses (QLD). For dishwashers I buy a three year warranty and claim if necessary. Its a marketing choice and is reflected easily in the rent asked. If your market can't stand the cost then don't do it.

Cheers

Shane

I have an upmarket townhouse in Leederville (WA) that usually rents to a professional single or a couple in the range of $550-600pw.

It has a recess in the kitchen area under the benchtop for a dishwasher and I could easily have one installed for under $1000.

On each change of tenants I always offer the option of installing a dishwasher if the prospective tenants want one for a $10pw increase in rent .

Funny, but that dishwasher recess still sits empty!

nb: I had always thought a dishwasher was a priority for renters at this level, but unless it already there my tenants to date (with an average tenancy of 2 years) have dispelled this myth.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I will talk to my property manager.
At this stage in the rental cycle, I think she will say that I should still be able to attract a decent range of tenants without a dishwasher.
I think my PM will say I won't get any more money for a dishwasher, but I may attract more interest in the property, and in the process get a better tenant (same reason she encouraged me to do the paint and carpet for the property, which I am doing).
She seemed to prioritise A/C over a dishwasher (for me personally a dishwasher would be a greater priority but other people may think differently).
If the time comes that I cannot attract good-enough tenants, then I will have to put in a dishwasher, and probably A/C as well. The cost of installation doesn't bother me, but the cost of repairs does....
By that time, it may be time to renovate the kitchen and bathroom as well. At this stage kitchen and bathroom are old but in good condition. Fine for rental. PM has discouraged me from renovating at this stage as it will be worth at most $20/week extra. I'll let my tenants gradually destroy them completely before I put new ones in....

I have an upmarket townhouse in Leederville (WA) that usually rents to a professional single or a couple in the range of $550-600pw.

It has a recess in the kitchen area under the benchtop for a dishwasher and I could easily have one installed for under $1000.

On each change of tenants I always offer the option of installing a dishwasher if the prospective tenants want one for a $10pw increase in rent .

nb: I had always thought a dishwasher was a priority for renters at this level, but unless it already there my tenants to date (with an average tenancy of 2 years) have dispelled this myth.

Funny how with every convenience, there is a price. This is how I would have approached it as well. I would consider how much additional value it would add to the property's overall value and how much additional rent it would bring in. If the place is currently available for rent, ask to see what the inspection notes say and see how many people walked away because it didn't have a dishwasher. I do agree though that it is expected most of the time.

Funny how with every convenience, there is a price. This is how I would have approached it as well. With each improvement, I would consider how much additional value it would add to the property's overall value and how much additional rent it would bring in. If the place is currently available for rent, ask to see what the inspection notes say and see how many people walked away because it didn't have a dishwasher. I do agree though that it is expected most of the time.

Prehaps they are bringing their own?

I don't have dish washers in any of my properties except our PPOR. We had one in an IP when we bought it but it used to break down at least one or twice a year. Tenants just throw the dishes in there without rinsing anything too which makes them stink. Never had a problem renting any of my properties without it nor have my PM's ever raised it as an issue.

Back