Is it worth installing a dishwasher in an IP?

I would consider how much additional value it would add to the property's overall value and how much additional rent it would bring in.

In my experience, adding these electrical maintenance liabilities adds nothing to the rent. They are paying you rent for use of a (for eg) 3x1 in the location they wish to live. Tenants are not willing or prepared to pay you anything extra over and above the absolute minimum they can get away with.

You may get a quicker decision with these extras, but forget about getting an extra amount of rent.

Adding these electrical maintenance liabilities adds nothing to the value of the property. They are paying you to live in a (for eg) 3x1 in the location they wish to live. Buyers are not willing or prepared to pay you anything extra over and above the absolute minimum they can get away with.

You may get a quicker decision with these extras, but forget about getting a higher price.

I acknowledge other investors have had different experiences.

In my experience, adding these electrical maintenance liabilities adds nothing to the rent. They are paying you rent for use of a (for eg) 3x1 in the location they wish to live. Tenants are not willing or prepared to pay you anything extra over and above the absolute minimum they can get away with.

You may get a quicker decision with these extras, but forget about getting an extra amount of rent.

Adding these electrical maintenance liabilities adds nothing to the value of the property. They are paying you to live in a (for eg) 3x1 in the location they wish to live. Buyers are not willing or prepared to pay you anything extra over and above the absolute minimum they can get away with.

You may get a quicker decision with these extras, but forget about getting a higher price.

I acknowledge other investors have had different experiences.

You are so passionate about this you had to say it twice? :D:cool:

This is what it boils down to in our area. We are vying for the business of renters in an area where the house with the dishwasher and air-con is considered "normal" and one without just will sit there for longer.

We actually did get $20 per week more when we installed a dishwasher recently, but it was negotiated in the first couple of weeks, and didn't stop the tenant choosing our house. She also loved the old 1930s kitchen that we had updated and painted, and didn't take us up on our offer of a new kitchen for extra rent, but was very happy to pay extra if we bought a dishwasher.

This is the house where she was happy to reimburse us for a deck, and we got to quote stage before deciding we would develop behind the house, so the deck will go on once we lift and shift the house and the next tenant will be paying probably close to $100 more per week for a new kitchen and deck and much greater inside/outside flow. We will do that when she leaves and charge extra for the next tenant. This tenant just loves the 30's kitchen but other tenants would have turned their noses up.

We did find years ago that lack of deck was a big turn-off, hence our gradual addition of decks to all houses between tenants (or during tenancies) for extra rent. These things do add value to the house, but we do it for more rent, and because it is expected in our area in order to get a new tenant quickly.

Two weeks lost rent pays for the dishwasher at every change over of tenant.

Most dishwashers will fit in the space left by removing a 600 mm cupboard unit - but check with the specification of the dishwasher or have the rep come out and MEASURE and CONFIRM that it will fit the selected space.

You will need drainage

You will also need power (GPO)

Two of my properties have old kitchens in great condition but no dishwasher. I've always planned to add dishwashers when I put new kitchens in down the track.

Two weeks lost rent pays for the dishwasher at every change over of tenant.

You could very well be right Scott. I'm a little out of touch and bow to your greater experience and knowledge on this subject.

My philosophy for the last decade has been, if the property has a kitchen, don't buy it, so I rarely have to wrestle with this decision.

In my opinion a property that exhibits a kitchen attracts very low paying renters, so if the place doesn't have a kitchen, it improves your chances of receiving a high rent and avoids a myriad of costs, this particular subject being just one of them.

My philosophy for the last decade has been, if the property has a kitchen, don't buy it, so I rarely have to wrestle with this decision.

Too true Dazz.

Give them a kitchen and the next thing you know is that they want an indoor toilet. Then hot water. ... it never ends.

Like yourself, I prefer providing the cold water point in the ceiling, floor waste & a db. Byo shop front and fitout.

Give them a kitchen and the next thing you know is that they want an indoor toilet. Then hot water. ... it never ends.

Indoors ?? You've gotta be kiddin' me. See, that is where you're going wrong Scotty.

It all goes downhill when Landlords offer walls and doors. They are highly over-rated.

Dirt, thick concrete, big steel. Things the Tenants can't wreck easily. That's the ticket.

Anything more fancy and you start introducing headaches for yourself.

Don't even start me on laundries and hot water. Seriously - why would ya ??

Now you're talking Dazz. Anything more than tilt up (why even bother with the portal frame? ), galv trimdek & hardstand should be sufficient. Gee, I am lucky to have the council provide kerb and gutter.

Don't worry about line marking.

Absolutely.

I mean bare dirt is the best. Why get fancy ?? Still yields a good return and for 8 months of the year is just fine.

Gets a bit sloppy in winter mind you, and I don't mind providing a bit of hardstand for the better Tenants so they can move about without getting mud everywhere. Some behave themselves and I 've got no problem extending that courtesy. Obviously you charge them heaps more for the comfort it provides, but they appreciate it, so why not ??

It starts to get borderline when they ask for steel frames and a roof - seriously....there is a limit to my generosity. I'm happy to entertain the idea, but they naturally need to come to the table with a fad wad of cash before we even look at the prospect.

When they start asking for walls and doors you know they are just taking the ****. If they want those fancy details, I reckon they can pay for those themselves. What on earth are they doing in there that requires such secrecy. You'd naturally become suspicious.

Why complicate a good building by introducing such expensive items such as walls and doors ?? You'll never get your investment back.

This fanciful talk of supplying dishwashers - what in the world were they thinking. Now they want plumbing and electricity thrown in for free as well. Do their requests know no bounds ??

Scott - haven't you got some retail or commercial Tenant you need to advocate for against some big bad nasty Landlord ??

Go and do some proper work....

Dazz, these posts reminded me of the issues you had with the shopping centre. Do you still have it? From memory, not only did you supply toilets, but were cleaning them too (maybe unblocking them as opposed to actually cleaning them)?

Have you offloaded that one?

Dazz, these posts reminded me of the issues you had with the shopping centre. Do you still have it? From memory, not only did you supply toilets, but were cleaning them too (maybe unblocking them as opposed to actually cleaning them)?

Have you offloaded that one?

I remember that! The customers that dropped their pants and sprayed $hit everywhere then proceeded to steal the toilet rolls. LOL

Scott - haven't you got some retail or commercial Tenant you need to advocate for against some big bad nasty Landlord ??

Go and do some proper work....

Not at present - the lock-out letters won't arrive until early June, they believe that they are flying under the radar with the LL's and are going about business as usual.

I have an upmarket townhouse in Leederville (WA) that usually rents to a professional single or a couple in the range of $550-600pw.

It has a recess in the kitchen area under the benchtop for a dishwasher and I could easily have one installed for under $1000.

On each change of tenants I always offer the option of installing a dishwasher if the prospective tenants want one for a $10pw increase in rent .

Funny, but that dishwasher recess still sits empty!

nb: I had always thought a dishwasher was a priority for renters at this level, but unless it already there my tenants to date (with an average tenancy of 2 years) have dispelled this myth.

Very Interesting...

I wonder what would happen if you put a dishwasher in there with the increased rent of $10 per week (included in the advertised rent). Would you rent your property out quicker?

In your case 1 week could mean $600 so even a few days can really make a lot of difference. But its hard to compare exactly as each time you need to find new tenants their are different tenants in the market. Supply/demand etc.

Very Interesting...

I wonder what would happen if you put a dishwasher in there with the increased rent of $10 per week (included in the advertised rent). Would you rent your property out quicker?

In your case 1 week could mean $600 so even a few days can really make a lot of difference. But its hard to compare exactly as each time you need to find new tenants their are different tenants in the market. Supply/demand etc.

When advertising I don't mention dishwasher and all potential tenants have to call me to arrange inspection. It is during these inspections that I make the offer regarding the dishwasher and the offer remains open for the incoming tenant.

In my last tenant changeover, I had zero gaps between tenancies as previous tenant vacated 2 days before his lease end.

I have owned this property for over 10 years with minimal vacancy. Lack of dishwasher has not been a deterrent at any stage, which was a surprise for me as well.:confused:

Back