Is it worth installing a dishwasher in an IP?

A dishwasher came with the house I bought, but we never use it, waste of time.
I can wash up in 10 minutes what the dishwasher takes 1 1/2 hours and a load more electricity, water and noise to do half as well.

Joe D,

I may be in the market for a dishwasher in the near future.....what would you recommend ??

A dog that will lick your plate clean and a wife that will pick up after you.........

Oh I forgot, you already have all that!

A dishwasher came with the house I bought, but we never use it, waste of time.
I can wash up in 10 minutes what the dishwasher takes 1 1/2 hours and a load more electricity, water and noise to do half as well.

Just like those useless front loading washers.

I've read that washing up for a family of five twice a day (even once a day) uses considerably more water than a good dishwasher. I certainly could not wash up for a family of five in ten minutes :eek:. (Maybe I could wash in that time, but not dry as well.)

Front loader washing machines are water and energy efficient (and they wash better). I don't understand someone calling them useless. Is it because you cannot add anything after the wash starts?

No Wyllie. I find that the front loaders don't have a short cycle nor can you skip a step eg. prewash or soak. It beats me why the shortest cycle takes close to two hours. There's no chance of putting a quick load on before work.

And yes it is frustrating that you can't add to the wash once started.

Would a dishwasher be included as a fixture when purchasing a property eg fixed split AC system?

G'day Freddie Mac,

That's a grey area,depends if it's listed in the contract.

You'd think so though being rigged up to the plumbing but vendors have been known to take there useless dishwasher with them.

Last place i bought had a dishwasher,i don't use it though.

Might replace it with a front load washing machine instead :D

Cheers Spades.

No Wyllie. I find that the front loaders don't have a short cycle nor can you skip a step eg. prewash or soak. It beats me why the shortest cycle takes close to two hours. There's no chance of putting a quick load on before work.

And yes it is frustrating that you can't add to the wash once started.

My front loader takes 42 minutes for the usual general wash :confused:. I can skip steps, I can pre-soak (never do). There are more options than I would ever use.

Sometimes I do a quick 15 minute wash, skip the spin and press a button to drain the water without a spin and hang my drip-dry stuff out. If someone needs something washed quickly, this is what we do (unless we need it in three minutes when we wash it by hand (takes a minute) and spin it in the machine (takes two minutes).

A front loader is so flexible, gentle on our clothes and has no downside, except the inability to add to the wash once started, but you soon get used to that.

PS. I'm not trying to tempt you over to the "dark side" of front loader use, but the Europeans seem to know what they are doing and whenever I've used a top loader on holiday they have wrecked some favourite clothes with their "agitation" and wild spinning. I love my front loader.

Back