Is it worth thinking of subdivision

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows whether subdivision is possible on non-rectangular blocks in VIC. This house is in Noble Park with plenty of land available at the back but the issue is the block is diamond shaped at the rear. I am attaching a diagram (image link) of some key measurements of the block.

1. Before I ring any builder/architect to draft up subdivision plans, I want to check if it is possible at all for such shaped blocks, or they are straight 'No' by the council approvers
2. After taking measurements, it seems a maxium of 8 m by 10 m townhouse can be squeezed. There is some additional space on top of it for the garage/carport. Will this area be sufficent for 3 bedder townhouse.

2itpg8w.jpg

Hi Ourhouse,

Blocks don't need to be regular to be subdivided. It does add more complexity though! Based on your plan you have enough setback for a driveway which is good. You will most probably need to have house plans approved before you can get a subdivision approved. It is hard to give much more advice without knowing details so it would probably be best to talk to a designer next to see what could fit on taking into consideration how many car spaces are needed, vehicle turning areas, private open space, orientation and whether double storey at the rear is possible (Council policy).

Good luck with your project.

It's possible but putting double storey townhouses at the rear is difficult because of overlooking issues and rescode is a pain in the ***. This is magnified because of the diamond shape bringing the neighbours' borders closer to the new dwelling.

Also check for trees in neighbouring properties. They can affect your building envelope. You should also be able to build up to the easement. Remember for a 3 bedder you will need 2 car spaces and 40m2 of secluded private open space. Some councils aren't fans of a double story behind a single story dwelling, some don't care.

Do a search in this website: http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landchannel/content/

This will give you your zones and overlays.

Back