Is Jan Somers still investing in...

Hi All

A lot of us have found this forum from reading a book of Jans.

I was wondering does Jan browse the forum?

Is Jan still buying property?

It would be interesting to read Jans views on the current market.

And the market over the past 12 months

Maybe there is another book on the way?

{being a nosey little buggar aren,t l }

cheers yadreamin

yadreamin said:
Hi All

A lot of us have found this forum from reading a book of Jans.

I was wondering does Jan browse the forum?

Is Jan still buying property?

It would be interesting to read Jans views on the current market.

And the market over the past 12 months

Maybe there is another book on the way?

{being a nosey little buggar aren,t l }

cheers yadreamin

:p This is something that I often wonder about (so thanks, yadreamin!)

As someone who has had great success just following Jan's 'recipe', it would be wonderful to have an update! Jan? Ian?? :eek:

Cheers

Where is Jan?

Q. Does she browse this forum?
A. Yes, but not often. She does have another life outside property! Those of you who happened to catch her on last week's Footie Show (Ch 9) would know that for the past couple of years, she has been on a mission to promote the sport of rope skipping in Australia. She is currently the president of the Australian organisation and is busily preparing for the World Titles that we are hosting on the Gold Coast in July. Over 600 people from 15 countries.

Q. Is she still active in the property market?
A. No and Yes. Our offspring are more active than we are.

Q. What do we think of the current market?
A. "The best time to buy is always yesterday" and "You should invest whenever you can afford it".

Do your sums and never lose sight of your long-term goals. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to see that the really high growth rates (relative to inflation) of the past few years are not sustainable in the longer term. But that doesn't necessarily mean property is now a poor option. Maybe you need only modify your recipe a little (research different areas, add value, etc). About 30 years ago, after we had just missed out on a fantastic investment property, a very wise real estate agent friend said to me "Mate, I know it was a once in a lifetime deal, but if you look hard enough, they come along about once a month". And how right he was....

Thnaks for that Ian.
Q. Does she browse this forum?
A. Yes, but not often. She does have another life outside property!
With the implication that none of us contributors do :D ?
she has been on a mission to promote the sport of rope skipping in Australia.
Would you trust a property investor who is likely to skip town?

reading between the lines then, Jan and Ian have reduced activity (acquisitions?) in property recently. which is one way to "modify the recipe a little."

"Adding value and researching different areas etc" makes property investment less passive then in the good old days.....

I seriously doubt a new book by Jan on property investment would sell as well this year as before or during the recent boom.

thefirstbruce said:
reading between the lines then, Jan and Ian have reduced activity (acquisitions?) in property recently. which is one way to "modify the recipe a little."
My reading between the lines is that they've reached a level of lifestyle they're happy with & are now engaged in chasing other dreams :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In my opinion, anyone who devotes their life to skipping has either:

1) Too much spare time
2) Too much money
3) Too much of a healthy lifestyle
4) The eccentric lifestyle of the independently wealthy
or
5) All of the above

Definitely "all of the above" in Jan's case ... and that's a good thing - well done ! :D

Sim said:
In my opinion, anyone who devotes their life to skipping has either:

1) Too much spare time
2) Too much money
3) Too much of a healthy lifestyle
4) The eccentric lifestyle of the independently wealthy
or
5) All of the above

Definitely "all of the above" in Jan's case ... and that's a good thing - well done ! :D
Excellent summary Sim'

Which is the aim of all us wannabes- to be like the alreadygottheres.

Well done Ian and Jan- for demonstrating that the dream is achievable!

Sorry ... but I have to ask, with all this skipping going on Ian, do you get sick of holding the end of the rope ... or do you get a turn too ;)

Many thanks for providing this great forum :)

Cheers

Phil

Aceyducey said:
My reading between the lines is that they've reached a level of lifestyle they're happy with & are now engaged in chasing other dreams :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Did it take the recent boom (timing not time) to reach that level of lifestyle? ;)

And yes I am being a little tongue in cheek.

However, I respect Jan and Ian (and Noel Whittaker) for being amongst the most ethical of financial advisors. And am impressed that Jan is trying to re-popularize skipping in her free time. However, I personally believe it would have more impact to petition govts to get schools to reintroduce a high level of physical activity, and control what is allowed in school tuck shops, plus whack a health levy on junk foods a la alcohol and cigs. Further, govt benefits to families should be in the form of food stamps for staple foods.

I'd also like to see those who maintain healthy lifestyle choices and keep health measures low (cholesterol, triglycerides, body fat) gain discounts on health insurance.

Thankyou Ian for the reply and a big thanks to Jan.

So pleased that you are enjoying the fruits of your labours.

As for skipping, well the last time l picked up a skipping rope [many moons ago] l had the biggest smile on my dile just thinking back to the play ground days.

l can just imagine how happy your days are in the skipping club.
{sure sounds better than work]

Good luck in the big competiton.
cheers yadreamin

Thanks for the reply. Jan has been an inspiration to me ever since a colleague mentioned her books to me.

My two kids are 3 and 4 and they both have a skiping rope. They are keen so I am teaching them. I also intend to teach them property investing as well but skipping first. :)

Ian Somers said:
she has been on a mission to promote the sport of rope skipping in Australia.
In the days when I was at school (and we're going back a few years), the only sports which were available were competitive- which was great for those who were good at it, but no good for those of us not as good. It was always extremely demoralising to be lined up, and the be the second or third last to be picked for one of the two teams.

There certainly was room back then for a sport which could be enjoyed by anybody, and not just those who were better at it than everybody else. There are probably more opportunities now- but something which can be enjoyed by anybody while promoting good exercise must be good for our children.

Back