Is this "fair wear and tear"

TheCamel, under the act, no matter which state it is, the oven has to work, you are correct. However,the functionality of the oven has nothing to do with the ignitor. I realise that ovens vary and some you might need to "crawl into to light" as you put it but, the ignitor does not constitute an emergency repair as there are other ways to light the oven.
If you had no gas or it wouldnt light by any means, yes, emergency repair. On a liability matter you also have to take some responsability, as a tenant and there is no reason as to why you couldnt light the oven with a long lighter, made for this purpose from red heads or bic.
The landlord can not be held liable for tenants not using common sense when lighting an element in the house.
There is no difference in the stove to lighting an OFP within the premise. If you cant be careful and burn something, thats not the landlords fault.
In a lot of instances the ignitors are not possible to obtain anymore and/or the ovens are not made to enable the replacement of them. Perhaps a ploy to get people to buy a new oven, not sure.
As a landlord, would you rush out an replace an ignitor, at a cost of $100 - $200 if you could actually find one or would you just tell the tenant to buy a lighter for $2?

Speaking of gas

Some tenants can get a expect a lot thats for sure, I remember the flat I lived in on Main St Kangaroo Point, that was/is Fibro in a block of 4 with a downstair's cocky infested toilet.

The mouldy upstairs shower area had a copper pipe running up the wall with a gas tap and a hole where the flame was lit with matches.

Every time it was lit there was a minor explosion, and various smaller flames came out of the joint's. Exciting stuff.

I think only 2 burners on the cook top worked and I can't remember being bold enough to use the oven.

The landlords wouldnt do anything about it, and I didn't push it as it was close to everything and cheap.

This was the place I lived in 15 years ago when I met Bloss , and those same flat's are there today, seamingly without having a cent spent on them.

They are owned by a consortium of Brisbane Pathologist's so i'm sure they could afford the repair's.

Over the road from McD's and down from the "Pinie" and up from the "Gabba" for the Brisbanites.

These guy's were/are slumlord's that's for sure, but there is a place for that market.

Every one of our IP's is so much nicer than our PPOR, and we do sometimes get amazed at the request's that some tenant's can make.

BB

we do sometimes get amazed at the request's that some tenant's can make.
BB

...and then there's the tenant who asked me to pay for the paint, so she could repaint the entire unit (hadn't been painted for about 10 years). What a gem! Just love some of my tenants.:D

...and then there's the tenant who asked me to pay for the paint, so she could repaint the entire unit (hadn't been painted for about 10 years). What a gem! Just love some of my tenants.:D

We can't really complain about our's either, 90% of the time it's all smooth sailing and the other 10% is fairly minor in the scheme of thing's.

Our PM has alway's done a great job of sorting out the riff raff.

BTW, I hope you got a say in the paint colour, no bright yellow bedroom's with red trim , and made sure the prep and finish was satisfactory ?

BB

Last edited:
We've had a sniff at a few damaged flat/unit block's after your "Manor" post.

How did you end up going getting tradies to repair damages to the existing stock?

BB

We've had a sniff at a few damaged flat/unit block's after your "Manor" post.

How did you end up going getting tradies to repair damages to the existing stock?
BB

My cousin is a builder, who came up to Innisfail after the cyclone to do some IP's of his own. Pays to have a rele in the game...for which I am extremely grateful!

Nicely done having a builder as a 'lation Sailor, good luck that.......or LOA:D

House 1]
OK, pics have arrived on the floor debarcle and we've had a quote and it WILL be getting taken out of the bond.

House 2]
The blind will be left as is, and will be taken from the bond and replaced on vacating.

The same tenants have the stove problem, and the pic's were'nt to clear, but I suspect it is the knob, so probably a warranty job.

It would seem they have also now knocked the runners off of a shelf in the dishwasher due to overloading [ PM's word's], but it looks to me that maybe it can be finnesed back in [maybe], if not ,no dishwasher and it will be taken from the bond and repaired on vacating.

These guy's did'nt want to cough up for the $10/week rent increase that the tenant's either side have had no prob's with, and also have kid's which none of our other tenant's have.

They are saving for a deposit on a house, so we thought we'd give them a break.

The house's either side have had no problem's with anything, so maybe it's a kid thing [twirl the knob, pull the string]

We have a strict no pet's/no kid's policy on all of our rental's, but we let our guard down a bit here, and won't again.

No more Mr nice Guy, no more charity cases, time to harden up even more.

BB

Attachments

• Jan 12  2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg
    Jan 12 2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 250
  • Jan 12  2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg 2.jpg
    Jan 12 2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Jan 12  2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg
    Jan 12 2007.jpg 366 Q.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 223
The blind, god know's how much effort you'd put in to breaking this.

Sure they are cheap plastic, but the PM reckons she's had the same style of thing for 10years and had no drama's with them.

BB

Attachments

• Jan 12  2007.jpg 7.jpg
    Jan 12 2007.jpg 7.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 186
BB, pic # one looks like someone took a sharp implement and tried to carve in a drawing. The blinds look like someone tried swinging from the string and broke the lot.
Good on yer for going their bond. This simply looks like wilful damage to me.

I'll give 'em benifit of the doubt Sailor, and say it was an accident, but as i've said before, some of us pay for accident's when held accountable.

Thank's for the support

BB

Hi Boat Boy - Well I take it back, that first photo is pretty bad. I thought you were talking about only 1 or 2 small marks, but that is like 20! It's always a line call as to "wear and tear" vs "damage" - but I reckon this clearly crosses the line into damage.

- Dave99

Hi Boat Boy - Well I take it back, that first photo is pretty bad. I thought you were talking about only 1 or 2 small marks, but that is like 20! It's always a line call as to "wear and tear" vs "damage" - but I reckon this clearly crosses the line into damage.

- Dave99

Indeed it does,

Thanks Dave

BB

BTW, I hope you got a say in the paint colour, no bright yellow bedroom's with red trim , and made sure the prep and finish was satisfactory ?

BB

In relation to my above comment I submit a pic of a bedromm in one our IP's.

It's not like that anymore.

BB

Attachments

• 100_0184.JPG
    100_0184.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 186
I agree, I'd like to see them explain how it was "fair wear and tear" Looks like carelessness and lack of respect for your property.

Cheers
Pulse

We have a strict no pet's/no kid's policy on all of our rental's, but we let our guard down a bit here, and won't again.

BB

I know you don't have to allow pets, but I wouldn't have thought you could discriminate against people with kids unless the property was clearly too small (eg 1 bed unit)?

I know you don't have to allow pets, but I wouldn't have thought you could discriminate against people with kids unless the property was clearly too small (eg 1 bed unit)?

You are probably correct, but if we have a few prospective tenants after the property which is usually the case, guess which one we pick.

BB

Hi BoatBoy, that's terrible what they did to your beautiful floors. It's sure scared the bejebus out of me too. I'm just about to rent out an IP I've built, which I hope will eventually be our PPOR. It has highly polished jarrah floors and although it will be an IP now, it is very customised with the future in mind. I feel sick thinking about what tennants could do to the floors (amongst other things) after seeing your photos.

I'm with you on the no pets / no kids policy too.

PS. Can floors be partially refinished if damage is limited to one area, or does the whole lot need to be done? Probably a stupid question, but I gots ta know.

PS. Can floors be partially refinished if damage is limited to one area, or does the whole lot need to be done? Probably a stupid question, but I gots ta know.
Depends on how the floors are finished. Some coatings can be partially done, whilst others have to be completely sanded back and started again from scratch. (No apologies for the pun!:D)

Back