Is this "fair wear and tear"

PS. Can floors be partially refinished if damage is limited to one area, or does the whole lot need to be done? Probably a stupid question, but I gots ta know.

You can refinish floors by cutting in up to a board if it is at the edge of the room as it looks like in the photo...the problem lies in how deep the scratches are...if it has gone into the actual timber then to fully fix the problem you will have to sand the floor back in that area to bare timber. Depending on how deep the scratches are onto the timber, you may have to "feater in out" over a larger area, otherwise you will create an obvious level discrepency.

When you recoat this area it will be lighter than the rest of the floor as the surface of timber will darken when exposed to UV light. It will take a long time to blend in again, but it will eventually catch up. For this very reason it is recommended to be careful to where you put rugs or mats on timber floors, especially newly finished ones, because when you remove the rug, underneath will be a lot lighter.

Hope this helps...:)

Boods

Very interesting Boods, now I have a legit reason not to fork out hundreds of dollars on runners & rugs to protect my floor from possible tenant damage - definite uneven UV discolouration :D Phew.

Toon

*bumping this thread up*

I have a question.

So I have just vacated a rental property, and left the property in what I would consider to be immaculate. I hired a professional cleaner to clean the entire unit from top to bottom, and also professional steam carpet cleaning.

Today when I did the final inspection with the agent, he pointed out a minor scuff mark on one of the walls. The thing is, that scuff mark have been there since the day I moved in (3 years ago), and I know I did a huge mistake not putting that into the condition report when I first moved in.

So now, the agent wants me to go back to the unit to clean off that scuff mark (just a light black stain, no holes/dents - previous tenant must have grazed a shelf/chair against the wall). In addition to that, I have never placed anything against the wall, and the agent(s) should know since they have done routine inspection on the place during my rental tenure.

Question is, how do I clean that mark off if the professional cleaners can't even remove it? Shouldn't this be accepted as a fair wear and tear?

Thanks!

if the walls are white, or off white, just a little jif on the green backing part of a sponge and rub gently.

if the scuff is not bad then i'd be tempted to tell the pm to go away.

*Today when I did the final inspection with the agent, he pointed out a minor scuff mark on one of the walls. The thing is, that scuff mark have been there since the day I moved in (3 years ago), and I know I did a huge mistake not putting that into the condition report when I first moved in.

So now, the agent wants me to go back to the unit to clean off that scuff mark (just a light black stain, no holes/dents - previous tenant must have grazed a shelf/chair against the wall). In addition to that, I have never placed anything against the wall, and the agent(s) should know since they have done routine inspection on the place during my rental tenure.

!

One small scuff mark after 3 years?

You are entitled to fair wear and tear.

Go back and take a photo then apply immediately to the tribunal for release of the bond.

BTW, most professional cleaners guarantee the property will pass the inspection, and usually will rectify if it doesn't.
Marg

if the walls are white, or off white, just a little jif on the green backing part of a sponge and rub gently.

if the scuff is not bad then i'd be tempted to tell the pm to go away.

The scuff mark looks like this:
29zzcxw.jpg

I could probably easily clean if off using the method you suggested, but it's such a hassle to go all the way back there to just rub a minor stain off?

a minor scuff mark on one of the walls....how do I clean that mark off if the professional cleaners can't even remove it?

Which one is it ??

A minor scuff mark......or.....something so bad that professional cleaners can't remove it ??

It can't be both....

Which one is it ??

A minor scuff mark......or.....something so bad that professional cleaners can't remove it ??

It can't be both....

I'm referring to the same mark. It looks like the picture I posted in the previous post. It doesn't look bad at all. So I'm guessing the professional cleaners did not clean it?

Ive had the same thing as a renter.

Our removalists as we moved out gave the wall a minor dint along with a less minor scuff near the door way.

We left it to the proffessional cleaners (not specifically teh scuff mark but the home cleaning at any rate) and then when 1000km away in Melbourne were told to come back and rectify. We said what is the damage with your tradesman, ended up being $200.00, we paid it rather than letting them take from the bond. I prefer getting all my bond back even if it means paying them with the other hand.

I'm currently renting and they other day, We have a sliding glass window with a plastic latch and a intergrated lock with a key. So everytime i open the window I unlock it and slide it open and close it lock at night.

Now for some reason it won't unlock now, I thought it was the key but tested it on other windows in the unit and its fine, even got one of the bedroom windown key to try on the kitchen lock window. No luck.

So its faulty is it my fault maybe as i closed it and locked it to turn on the aircon, and now it won't unlock. Can this be classed as wear and tear or faulty lock ?

My agent is an *** and did an inspection and there was water film on the shower glass, was indicated that next time it has to be spotless and a few hairs in the bathroom like 1 or two not like a fur ball or something.

What advice can people recommend. Oh I hate renting as well :)

Back