is this house repairable?

I'm looking at a house that's 100 years old and is demolish or restore job

I've replaced beams, have had houses restumped, fixed termite infested rooms, I've done most of what there is to do, but this one is a bit overwhelming

It's a double brick house, needs restuping (not sure how when there is no access), there are cracks everywhere in the bricks inside and out, the front of has a massive crack)

See attached photos

Is this one of those houses that simply cannot be salvaged economically in anyway other then to patch over them and pretend the problem doesn't exist?

Feedback would be appreciated

Attachments

• DSC_1940.jpg
    DSC_1940.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_1920.jpg
    DSC_1920.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_1945.jpg
    DSC_1945.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_1946.jpg
    DSC_1946.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_1944.jpg
    DSC_1944.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 174
And a few more for effect

Attachments

• DSC_1941.jpg
    DSC_1941.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_1922.jpg
    DSC_1922.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_1918.jpg
    DSC_1918.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 142
I've coughed up scarier looking stuff than that! :p

Most of my reno clients are happy with stuff like that. I've been looking at the ex-houso stock in Millers Point near the Sydney Harbour Bridge and they look much the same as your pics and will sell way over $1M.

Gaining access for restumping would involve using a circular saw on the floor to gain access!

Restump, plaster and general repair. Nothing that scary. So long as the deal justifies the costs involved.

Thabks for the replies, even the smart A$$ ones

My question is, it's not plaster on the inside it's like a rendered cement, so not sure what to do, and yes could plaster over it but I thibk it would stick out and plastering a whole house isn't cheap

And what can I do about those massive movements

If I do it I'll keep it as a rental but if I need to sell I can't have a property that looks good on paper only to be worth half that due to massive cracks

I'm a bit stumped (pardon the que) for this one

The rest of thebhouse needs a lot of work too, eg am going to tear down the rear of thebhouse, bring the external toilet in, totally build a new laundry, and a new roof for a small section

Yeah CJay and Propertunity! Can't belive you would write smart @r$e comments when the guy clearly need some advice!

pinkboy

Yeah CJay and Propertunity! Can't belive you would write smart @r$e comments when the guy clearly need some advice!

pinkboy

That's why ss is what it is, smart witty comments without getting banned by a moderator

Oh and into believe it's a bit of sugar soap and a link of paint :9

Are you volunteering

The cracking is probably due to clay soil under the foundations and the shrink/swell that occurs when the moisture level changes in summer/winter. The first thing I would do is pave/concrete around the house so that any water drains away from the foundations and doesnt enter the soil. Direct any water from down pipes away from the footings. If you want to see if the cracks are still moving you can measure them with a ruler over a few months and see whats happening (probs not an option if you are reno-ing straight away though). Find out what soil is in the area, if it is really reactive soil you might have to underpin to prevent future movement.

Colin

Houses on The Block in previous years looked worse than that. You'll be fine.
Yikes! They must have pent $100k just on the structure to get it Reno-able

Ok, everyones said that

So what do I do?????

retump, and then plaster? What do I do about the cracks?

I'm a little unsure

Hard plaster

To fix hard plaster ( as you have ) on a solid brick wall .....you just cut plasterboard to the shape and same level/plane ( pack as necessary behind it ) glue it with plasterboard adhesive ( big dobs) to the bricks and fill the joint. Works a treat and better than hard plaster. Easy peasy. And if you have any loose or drummy sections don't touch it . LL

Restump

When you have low floors they cut through the floors and get access that way. The blokes that do it are human moles ....but they do it ! End of the day all covered in cobwebs and dust etc ...but they do it !! You cut the holes in the floors in the MIDDLE of the rooms and then cover with rugs after polishing the floors. No probs. LL

Not something I would touch,there has to be better out there.Not being able to get to the stumps is my main issue,that needs to be done first to set a solid foundation,then any money you spend on the top is safe.

Level it and rebuild,

Land cost less demolition. :eek:

A few minor reservations - photo 2 - the wall is moving out hence the cracking in the front wall.

Wattle and daub walls have alot of make good in sand/lime plaster then top coat.

Other walls need repointing with weak cement/sand/lime mortar - sacrificial and will need replacing/repair every 10 or so years.

Looked like stormwater drains/downpipes required attention causing erosion of mortar - needs repointing.

No ceiling shots but probably shot as well (likely to be plaster and horsehair).

I'd be calling in democorp and getting a rebuild.

Ok thanks everyone'
Even if I use plaster sheets and level it out,

The outside still has cracks in it

And if a building inspection is done,

Its going to considered as stuffed hence affecting the value

hmmm

Clay shrinking is cracking the foundation and brickwork
the clay is Drying out especially under then house where no water has fallen since it (the house) was built,
shrinks, moves, cracks brickwork, moves stumps. many of the stumps unless eaten by bugs, can be jacked and spacers inserted to level the floor, finished one last tuesday, fortunate that only six stumps were involved
bentonite injection is a relatively cheap fix for brickwork heaving on clay soils
have done it twice
the clay soil under the foundation expands
brickwork cracks close, and can be re-pointed easily
and once done, the clay does not shift again
30 years ago, sister still lives in the house, no problems with the mortar, she'd have me killed if there were.
you can pave outside, it works, but till the soil under the paving outside dries as much us the soil under the house, the ground will slowly move, may take years, and any fix of the cement will crack as the outside dries and shrinks

edit: VolClay was the company
or the brand
or something to do with the fix​

Last edited:
That's why ss is what it is, smart witty comments without getting banned by a moderator

Oh and into believe it's a bit of sugar soap and a link of paint (correction-IDIOTS-IGNORE them TMNT)

Are you volunteering

101% + Quoted for truth!F the numpty's!

On topic mate,TMNT,it looks art deco,correct me if i'm wrong?

Say worse case snenario and your looking at eg:50-100k max,do the numbers stack?

101% + Quoted for truth!F the numpty's!

On topic mate,TMNT,it looks art deco,correct me if i'm wrong?

Say worse case snenario and your looking at eg:50-100k max,do the numbers stack?

Someone tighten the knot in your knickers?

What you quoted was TMNT embracing the nature of SS, not tearing it to shreds. Have a re-read:

TMNT wouldn't use 'smart' or 'witty' to negatively downplay SS. TMNT loves a good rag on thread as much as anyone, and we've shared several Kudos for 'good plays'.

Perhaps you're the numpty that needs a good F?

pinkboy

Back