is this house repairable?

Someone tighten the knot in your knickers?

What you quoted was TMNT embracing the nature of SS, not tearing it to shreds. Have a re-read:

TMNT wouldn't use 'smart' or 'witty' to negatively downplay SS. TMNT loves a good rag on thread as much as anyone, and we've shared several Kudos for 'good plays'.

Perhaps you're the numpty that needs a good F?

pinkboy

Oops, I just gave you a kudos.........by accident or course :)

101% + Quoted for truth!F the numpty's!

On topic mate,TMNT,it looks art deco,correct me if i'm wrong?

Say worse case snenario and your looking at eg:50-100k max,do the numbers stack?

Figures don't stack up just yet, however this agency always puts high prices to have the sit ob the market for about 15 years before they start dropping prices like crazy

Me thinks

10k restump
3k kitchen
5k bathroom, laundry and moving plumbing and knocking down common wall
5k plastering
2k floors
1k paint
3k misc
5k rewire
1k light fixtures
6k stamp duty
41k total

Buy 150k, spend 41k=191k, new value 250-260 k

60-70k isn't worth it in my opinion, it would have to 80-90k for it to be worth it for me

Clay shrinking is cracking the foundation and brickwork
the clay is Drying out especially under then house where no water has fallen since it (the house) was built,
shrinks, moves, cracks brickwork, moves stumps.

AlmostBob and other builder/renoers, can I please clarify? because I'm looking at something in a similar condition.

Yes, the clay soil causes expansion and contraction and the underneath of the house is dry whereas the yard etc is always somewhere between wet and dry.

many of the stumps unless eaten by bugs, can be jacked and spacers inserted to level the floor, finished one last tuesday, fortunate that only six stumps were involved bentonite injection is a relatively cheap fix for brickwork heaving on clay soils have done it twice

what if it's not on stumps but built on brick foundations which sit under the walls of each room i.e. the super old-fashioned way. Is it possible to now stump them? If not, what can be done to achieve the result you describe below?
the clay soil under the foundation expands
brickwork cracks close, and can be re-pointed easily
and once done, the clay does not shift again
30 years ago, sister still lives in the house, no problems with the mortar, she'd have me killed if there were.
you can pave outside, it works, but till the soil under the paving outside dries as much us the soil under the house, the ground will slowly move, may take years, and any fix of the cement will crack as the outside dries and shrinks

the guttering and drainage has to be fixed and modernised. but would paving around the outside exacerbate the moisture difference problem? (Though I do understand that the water should drain away from the exterior and not towards it.)

You do this work - obviously well. How much does it cost?

AlmostBob and other builder/renoers, can I please clarify? because I'm looking at something in a similar condition.

Yes, the clay soil causes expansion and contraction and the underneath of the house is dry whereas the yard etc is always somewhere between wet and dry.

what if it's not on stumps but built on brick foundations which sit under the walls of each room i.e. the super old-fashioned way. Is it possible to now stump them? If not, what can be done to achieve the result you describe below?

the guttering and drainage has to be fixed and modernised. but would paving around the outside exacerbate the moisture difference problem? (Though I do understand that the water should drain away from the exterior and not towards it.)

You do this work - obviously well. How much does it cost?
From my experience: limited to two houses where it worked well; I am unsure if there are any negative possibilities
The under the house area is as dry and shrunken as it is ever going to get
The foundation wall is alternately wet expanded, dry and shrunken, but not as shrunken as under the house.
Bentonite injected into the subsoil seals and stabilises the clay under the foundation and it swells becomes waterproof and no longer plastic.
The swelling returns the foundation to close to the original foundation levels, and the major cracks become minor re-pointing problems.
The underhouse foundations have usually not cracked, they have shrunk lower only, and can be treated as BIG stumps.
Those foundations can have the joists jacked and packed and the floor re-levelled.
Those foundations, or stumps, don't move again as the underfloor space is dead dry and the outer foundation subsoil is sealed to keep water out.
Bentonite is the clay/silicate used to reseal leaky dams, including Sylvan Reservoir in Victoria, lakes, pondages, house basements, and {tadaaaah} foundation walls.
Also used to precipitate sludge from wine, (very important use).​
In 1983 my sister's house and barn and outbuildings cost $9000 to have injected,
that is a BIG house, a big horse barn, vehicle shed, store, even did the three holer​
the injectors took two days
probably cost 3x that today
jacking the stumps took 7or8 slabs of vb, a bottle of sippin whisky, a huge amount of barbecue food, and a weekend, platoon mates helped, troopies'll do anything for beer and barbecue

strange that, after that weekend, the house DIDN'T fall down

I finished levelling a saggy bit, [edit] one corner of [/edit] 72*14 feet about a week ago, alone, in 90 minutes, 12 tonne jack, laser level guide, but it was a stand-up subfloor, no crawling, easy peasy

Last edited:
Excellent information AlmostBob. Your sister is lucky to have a brother like you! And thanks for the explanation, too.

I bet that 1983 $9K has increased somewhat - but maybe not kept up with inflation?

Who does the injecting of this Bentonite? Who are these human moles that landlubber writes of?

Scott No Mates:Wattle and daub walls have alot of make good in sand/lime plaster then top coat.

Other walls need repointing with weak cement/sand/lime mortar - sacrificial and will need replacing/repair every 10 or so years.

I want to understand but it seems cryptic to me. Can you please give me wattle/daub + sand/lime for dummies?
Thanks
W

Uretek did the dam, barracks, and pumphouses, very big jobs,
all kinds of info, & contacts on the site

VolClay did the sister's house and barns, I don't know if they are still in business

Fondex do it too, don't know much about them.

or a google search for foundation repair injection

SO MANY things went wrong growing up, I have a good list of unusual solutions.
We buy properties that look like cr*p to other investors, spend next-to-nothing to complete "million dollar repairs", and go cg+ cf+ immediately
knowing a solution can turn a dog into a diamond​
unfortunately it means I'm the obnoxious **expletive deleted** who has an opinion about everything :p

Last edited:
thanks cd83

AlmostBob:knowing a solution can turn a dog into a diamond
unfortunately it means I'm the obnoxious **expletive deleted** who has an opinion about everything

If it's backed-up by genuine experience and positive outcomes, anything can be forgiven!
(Thanks for sharing your knowledge!) :)

Yep , Id be going down this road with injection method, get them out for a quote.
Have seen a very long 2 mm crack in brickwork fixed by this method and no
visual signs of it ever being there.

Clay shrinking is cracking the foundation and brickwork
the clay is Drying out especially under then house where no water has fallen since it (the house) was built,
shrinks, moves, cracks brickwork, moves stumps. many of the stumps unless eaten by bugs, can be jacked and spacers inserted to level the floor, finished one last tuesday, fortunate that only six stumps were involved
bentonite injection is a relatively cheap fix for brickwork heaving on clay soils
have done it twice
the clay soil under the foundation expands
brickwork cracks close, and can be re-pointed easily
and once done, the clay does not shift again
30 years ago, sister still lives in the house, no problems with the mortar, she'd have me killed if there were.
you can pave outside, it works, but till the soil under the paving outside dries as much us the soil under the house, the ground will slowly move, may take years, and any fix of the cement will crack as the outside dries and shrinks

edit: VolClay was the company
or the brand
or something to do with the fix​

many of the stumps unless eaten by bugs, can be jacked and spacers inserted to level the floor.
]
OK I'm on board with these injections. Just wondering how to deal with levelling the floor after walls are sorted out. Do I need to get a builder/ carpenter? And is it expensive?

OK I'm on board with these injections. Just wondering how to deal with levelling the floor after walls are sorted out. Do I need to get a builder/ carpenter? And is it expensive?

Does it feel like I'm on a see-saw when I walk into the room because termites have eaten through the joists? Or is it just because it's still off-kilter and it will return to near normal when the injections are done?

:confused: :confused: :eek:

I cant tell if the joists are eaten, but, that you don't fall through leads to the supposition that termites are not involved
I use a laser to mark from the highest point, a level mark on all the other joists bearers and stumps
its cool how far, in the half dark under there, those level lasers project,

eg: the light is installed 20.0 below the highest joist,
is 12.2 below another joist,
jack each point up till the light is 20.0 below the joist, block it, move to the next one
I have a piece of plastic bar, with green ink on it 20.0cm from the end, red laser light makes the ink fluoresce like a 100 watt light, easy to see when the height is right​
get done, perfect, floor no longer bouncy,
the most difficult part is access to the underfloor area, as posted before, it is sometimes a circular saw through floor boards

I find it easy,
but: (famous last words but: :) )
I have 12 tonne jacks,
circular saws,
don't mind cutting foundation walls and installing a lintel and access door,
know how to determine which points have, and how much, load on them,
know how to repoint masonry.
can remove and replace and refinish the floor boards and hide the saw marks

probably a carpenter. If you want to TA for the chippie, its a learning experience, and there is always a 'next time'

If you are opening up the underfloor,
its a bloody good time to get a plumber in to replace any gal pipe with pex before it rusts up and stops running or bursts, the age of the property suggests gal,
gal is perfectly rust resistant, until the last of the sacrificial zinc is absorbed into the water, then it rusts out fast

pex over copper,
flexible and you can pull it through walls without issue,
needs no holes except the ones the fixtures are in,
has equal pressure tolerance,
does not go green and dissolve in contact with mortar,
needs no flame to join (dead dry old seasoned timber),
is half the price,
takes less time to install​

Last edited:
Someone tighten the knot in your knickers?

No,i don't wear lycra :)

What you quoted was TMNT embracing the nature of SS, not tearing it to shreds. Have a re-read:

Re-read,i misconstrued,my bad...I posted at 1.55am with the cordial,not my best time for judgement on my part.Maybe swayed by the last 4 words that got me shooting 1st.

TMNT wouldn't use 'smart' or 'witty' to negatively downplay SS. TMNT loves a good rag on thread as much as anyone, and we've shared several Kudos for 'good plays'.

Yes i know TMNT does and i've also given TMNT kudos as well for his effort on what he does NOT 'good plays'.

Perhaps you're the numpty that needs a good F?

No thanks pinkboy,i'm staying straight but thankyou kindly for the offer :)

pinkboy

10 char char char

OK - is this just getting ridiculous now?
Was talking to the 85 year old neighbour today - he's actually done a bit of work on the house in the past. Also, his house started out almost exactly the same - he grew up in it.
He explained that these crumbling foundations are cyanide ash mixed with concrete. Over time the cyanide has eaten the concrete and now it's all crumbly. The house I'm looking at obviously hasn't been reinforced in anyway whereas his house had supportive concrete put around it years ago.
I don't know how far these foundations extend. Obviously they go all around the perimeter. Do they go all the way underneath as well?
He said that a builder would need to jack up the house and build some struts from bricks.
So not sure whether or not that fits in with the Uretek thing because it's not just the ground, it's the actual foundations that are ******:(
Of course I'll get a proper building inspection done before I go any further but am wondering what you think before I jump in and get a building inspection done. :confused:
When I was in the kitchen last, I got the impression that the floor was made of concrete/cement. But he said that it's just the timber on the bare earth. In which case, it would probably be best to change it to a concrete floor. Would this be super-expensive or not too bad?
I know quite a lot of people wouldn't bother looking at the place at all but what I like is that it doesn't have any dodgy renos that need undoing. On the other hand, do the crumbling foundations ruin the Urertek thing? ..... or not?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• cyanide ash mixed with concrete has eaten it over time.jpg
    cyanide ash mixed with concrete has eaten it over time.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 51
Back