Is this new kitchen big enough?! Pics included

Hey everyone,

I'm putting a new kitchen in my 2x1 townhouse. I will be looking to sell after I have finished with the reno.

I'm wondering if the kitchen is big enough? There is only 110cm of bench space, is this enough?

What does everyone think about the look of the kitchen?

If you need any more info let me know

There used to be a wall where the bi-fold doors are now so the kitchen used to be an L shaped kitchen. I would like to keep the space open so trying to design the kitchen without an island.

Old Kitchen

URL=http://img252.imageshack.us/i/sany1691.jpg/]
sany1691.jpg
[/URL]

It is not big enough for me, and I would say for most people who actually want or need to cook, as opposed to mostly eating out or heating up. It might be big enough for a bachelor guy or gal, but just over one metre of bench space is not enough, IMO.

I would turn a corner and make it an L-shape as a minimum but it depends on what market you are aiming at.

If you don't want to close off the open areas, maybe a large (and long) butchers block or stainless steel or timber trolley with open storage on big lockable wheels that could be moved?

I guess it's aimed towards the young single professional or young professional couple. It's walking distance to the beach, 5 min train to freo, 15 min train into Perth CBD.

When I lived there I was eating out most nights, or just simply used the cooktop to boil/fry some chicken and thats it.

Do you thinka dding a corner cupboard and moving the sink down will create enough space?

I was thinking about the tolleys etc but I am really not a big fan. I much prefer a solid looking kitchen ie without legs showing.

Theres only 90cm of space between the wall and the first panel of the bi-fold so I cant really fit alot in there if I was to turn it into an L shaped kitchen.

I could always move the fridge elsewhere?

I really just don't think there is enough space, full stop, no matter how you re-arrange things. But your best bet is to get a local agent to look at it and see if it would put people off.

I would never buy something with a kitchen that small and so lacking in bench space, but if it really is aimed at the market that doesn't need or want a bigger kitchen, then I would be guided by that.

Some of the units my son was looking at had kitchens that just were almost a joke. He probably won't cook much, but one day he will want to sell and that is when it becomes an issue.

If the lack of bench space and storage is NOT an issue for the resale of this place, then that is a different matter.

too small for my liking with practically no storage space.

you have 3.6m between the dark grey pillar and the sliding door - how about you use 1.8m of that for a smallish island bench that people can sit at to eat, which still gives you 1.8m between the bench and the sliders.

if you make the island bench 1m wide then give plenty of storage underneath with 2x900 wide drawer sets and room on the other side for a couple of bar stool to slip underneath.

or make the island bench 1.2 wide (leaving 2.4m access) with 2x600 drawers ... this would still keep the kitchen "open" as the space next to the post is little more than somewhere for a small table (which an island bench/bar stools would resolve) or a thoroughfare.

I agree with Wylie and Lizzie. I would never buy a place with so little amount storage and bench top space in the kitchen. :eek: But I might be different I like cooking as a hobby, so kitchen is really important part of our life :D

I hate cooking and I don't cook, however when purchasing my apartment, the kitchen was very important to me. For myself, just in case I do ever cook, I want some space, and for re-sale value later on. I looked at kitchens, even bigger than in your example where it was just one bench across a wall and was so put off them. I can appreciate why they do this if space is limited in order to increase the size of the living area, however I prefer a small full kitchen in an apartment.

Having said that, if you are short on space, I still think you need more bench space if you can. Cooking seems to be all the trend lately with all those cooking shows (snooze) on TV, and I think young people, even if it's only good intentions at the time, would place importance on the kitchen when looking to move into a property.

Just noticed Lizzie's given you some good tips, listen to her, she's quite the pro. :)

too small for my liking with practically no storage space.

you have 3.6m between the dark grey pillar and the sliding door - how about you use 1.8m of that for a smallish island bench that people can sit at to eat, which still gives you 1.8m between the bench and the sliders.if you make the island bench 1m wide then give plenty of storage underneath with 2x900 wide drawer sets and room on the other side for a couple of bar stool to slip underneath.

or make the island bench 1.2 wide (leaving 2.4m access) with 2x600 drawers ... this would still keep the kitchen "open" as the space next to the post is little more than somewhere for a small table (which an island bench/bar stools would resolve) or a thoroughfare.

Hey Lizzy,

Thanks for the ideas! That grey pillar is actually a pantry and where the washer is going, i just didnt no how to put a door on it :eek:

hrmmmmmm im stuck

I was thinking about the tolleys etc but I am really not a big fan. I much prefer a solid looking kitchen ie without legs showing.

I know, but you're not going to live there. I agree that you simply must have an island bench or something. What people want in a kitchen is bench space, not a big dance floor in the middle. :)

That is better but I would prefer storage under the bench. There is just not enough storage there IMO.

The "pillar" where the new bench and chairs is sitting..... can you open the side of that and maybe put appliances or storage in there too?

Looking back at your original plan, I would prefer (for me :)) the bench to run from the grey pillar towards the sliding doors, basically making the kitchen a galley style. There is a longer space for more cupboards. You could then fit four stools on the living room side and cupboards on the kitchen side.

It is difficult to advise because we cannot see what is on the other sides of both of the "gaps". Is there general living area around the "square" of the kitchen?

Yep general living area on the opposite sides of the pillars. There used to be a small door sized gap but I widened the gap to let through more light as it hardly had any natural light coming through

The plumbing runs down that small pillar from the upstairs toilet so I cant really open that up. It was originally 1000mm wide but I cut it down to 600mm wide to allow another 400mm bench space.

I did like the idea of the galley style kitchen but the larger 1000mm x 1000mm pillar is actually a pantry (where the washing machine will be going + 3 shelves for storage.

I did like the idea of the galley style kitchen but the larger 1000mm x 1000mm pillar is actually a pantry (where the washing machine will be going + 3 shelves for storage.

Where is the opening in that larger pillar? I would still want to place the opening facing where you have placed the bench and chairs, but don't put in the bench. I would leave that bit open and run another bench with storage under (and stools able to be put on the side outside the kitchen) out from the side of the larger pillar towards the sliding doors (to the outside?) but leave a good size "doorway" (unless you can run it into the wall beside the doors, if you want to do that).

The door unfortunately opens up the other side (facing the sliding doors). The wall facing the bench is structual so would require a bit of of work to turn it around.

Then I would run a solid bench with lots of storage where you have placed the bench with chairs and run it all the way across. That would give you twice the bench and storage you have drawn. It would stop you walking through but it just looks "unfinished" without some other bench or "return" of some type.

If you did this, I would also move the cooktop and sink a little inwards so they are not hugging the corners. I would also try for a drainer on one side of the sink. I couldn't manage too well without a drainer on one side. This is only a personal thing, as I don't like sinks or cooktops in corners. I know that would give you less of a long run of bench space on that wall, but if you have a full run of bench elsewhere that would not matter so much.

I just had another peek, and there doesn't seem to be a dishwasher? Or have I missed it?

But then there wouldnt be any way to access the lounge room?

The house is set up as walk through the front door/sliding doors into the kitchen, walk through the kitchen into the lounge, stairs in the lounge to 2 beds and bath up stairs. Back door is also located in the lounge

The townhouse is only 72sqm

I wonder if you can draw a quick mud map of the whole of the area, not just the kitchen bit?

It would be easier to see what is "out of shot".

Back